Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
thesultanofsheight

Poo dunnit?

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Here's another guy gripped by addiction and unable to get out. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=53387

Well I’m not sure how innocent that one is when it comes to the distribution of smack. Isn’t he the guy that got the absolute shit kicked out of him in Ballasalla a few years ago? 

• Like 1

Yup. He's had a bad time of it. Some of it frankly deserved. Heroin turns people into dickheads. 

24 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well I’m not sure how innocent that one is when it comes to the distribution of smack. Isn’t he the guy that got the absolute shit kicked out of him in Ballasalla a few years ago? 

It was mentioned in mitigation:

Mr Rodgers said his client’s behaviour had ’gone downhill’ with problems stemming from his being the victim of an assault in 2007 which had left him requiring a plate in his head.

But he's got a lot of 'previous' mainly stemming from his long-term addiction.  Oddly enough the more serious dealing charges were dropped this time.  You can't help wondering if heroin maintenance schemes were used, some people would stop having their life dominated by trying to assure the next fix.

It took a full year for this apparently simple case with a guilty plea to get to court.  They're not getting any speedier are they?  There's also this odd recent tendency in these cases to include a 'money laundering' charge as well.  Technically it may be, but it's not really what most people would think as such.  Are they doing this so they can say "Look at all these convictions for money laundering - we're tackling international crime!" when it's really only junkies sticking some cash in the attic?

53 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It was mentioned in mitigation:

But he's got a lot of 'previous' mainly stemming from his long-term addiction.  Oddly enough the more serious dealing charges were dropped this timeYou can't help wondering if heroin maintenance schemes were used, some people would stop having their life dominated by trying to assure the next fix.

It took a full year for this apparently simple case with a guilty plea to get to court.  They're not getting any speedier are they?  There's also this odd recent tendency in these cases to include a 'money laundering' charge as well.  Technically it may be, but it's not really what most people would think as such.  Are they doing this so they can say "Look at all these convictions for money laundering - we're tackling international crime!" when it's really only junkies sticking some cash in the attic?

I do wonder about this Roger, but keeping them in a chemical dependency consigns them to the scrapheap and almost permanent dependency. If they can't get their substitute for whatever reason, they retreat back to the dealer. 

Is seems that if you miss an appointment with the drug and alcohol unit, your methadone or whatever it is, is stopped for three weeks. This can lead to a dangerous situation for vulnerable people and I know of one fatality due to this policy. I'm no expert on this subject but there must be a better way of breaking the cycle for these people?

31 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I do wonder about this Roger, but keeping them in a chemical dependency consigns them to the scrapheap and almost permanent dependency. If they can't get their substitute for whatever reason, they retreat back to the dealer. 

Is seems that if you miss an appointment with the drug and alcohol unit, your methadone or whatever it is, is stopped for three weeks. This can lead to a dangerous situation for vulnerable people and I know of one fatality due to this policy. I'm no expert on this subject but there must be a better way of breaking the cycle for these people?

Keeping them in a chemical dependency isn't ideal, but a lot of people (such as Type 1 diabetics) are in that sort of situation.  And you can operate perfectly normally as a heroin user providing you have a guaranteed supply - both in quality and regularity.  You said you didn't realise your friend was an addict.  Stabilise their condition and offer help (but not compulsion) for them to come off.  Some people don't like it because they see it as 'rewarding' addicts, but it's what seems to work best in the countries that have tried it.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Heroin turns people into dickheads. 

and dickheads turn to heroin

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 9:38 PM, thebees said:

You know the peasant saying? If you can't imagine how neighbouring vineyards can produce such different wines put one finger in your woman's quim and another up her arse, then taste both and stop asking stupid questions… My fingers found both vineyards. At the front, she tasted salt as anchovy and as delicious. At the rear, bitter like chocolate and smelling strangely of tobacco.

Read Trainspotting, the book. The waitress who got her revenge on obnoxious customers had no such vineyards.

The scene was not in the film. No acting, and not even the creative skills of Danny Boyle could do that scene justice.

Vineyards. That's a new one on me.