Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Threatened Strike by teachers

On 1/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, hissingsid said:

I bet they don’t strike over half term or the Easter Holidays, or the two weeks at TT or the six weeks in the summer, then half term next Christmas Holidays.   They will have a job getting dates when they are actually doing a bit.   Such a furore if you ask to take a child off for a day apparently it blights any chance of them having a decent future and may even scar them for life.  They aren’t worrying about that now that a bit of extra dosh is on the horizon.   There are some very conscientious teachers but there are also some really crap ones.   They may on paper seem undervalued on the pay front but if you count how many holidays they get and the hours they put in a week their hourly rate is quite high 13 weeks a year is a substantial time off not many other jobs offer that in fact it is 25% of the year.

Be kind of pointless striking during the holiday time

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

On that theme, I find it strangely satisfying that we can now refer to ‘next year’s general election’. A chance for some culling.

Wasn't there some culling in the last election and yet people still complain about who got in

25 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Wasn't there some culling in the last election and yet people still complain about who got in

I think Uhtred actually means culling literally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

True - 50% of the Keys changed. But that doesn’t invalidate criticism of those present now who are talentless and supine  - be they old or new members.

• Like 3

I think next time around we will have a clearer idea of how hopeless a few of the new members are and act accordingly.

The teachers will not strike...too gutless and Cregeen will not sort it...too gutless. In fact that is probably what is wrong with the present government....too gutless to tackle anything of a controversial nature,  looking forward to the next election, playing safe, they will start smiling when they see you in a few month’s time, pathetic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Probably on a Friday and a Monday.....

Throw in a teacher training day and it's almost a week.

• Haha 1

Gone quiet again, I really believe some politicians believe if you ignore a situation long enough it will go away....like pension fund problems, means testing etc.

• Like 1

So my understanding is, courtesy of MR today that they are not going to strike but are going to take action of some sort within the next few days, what that will be is anyone’s guess.   Supervisory duties perhaps, if anyone has any more explicit information do tell.

The likelihood is that they will stop providing the DESC with the reams of information it demands, thereby exposing the fact that the civil servants spend much of their time processing unnecessary data. This is probably smarter than alienating the public by striking, and thus depriving families of a free child-minding service.

• Like 3

The three unions involved in the dispute have agreed to begin action short of strike action, (ASOSA). The NAHT and ASCL (the school leaders’ unions) will begin their action tomorrow.  The largest teachers’ union in the Island, the NASUWT, will begin its action as soon as it is approved by the unions’ National Action Committee.  They expect that to take seven to ten days.

ASOSA is designed to minimise disruption to parents, carers and children.  It’s purpose is to inconvenience the DESC by refusing to perform some tasks like going to meetings at lunchtimes, before and after work, data gathering etc.  It’s a kind of work to rule.

56 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

That is a very good idea. Deny the civil servants the data and the means to claim credit for other people’s professional activities. 

I fear if you think that not giving the civil service data will somehow cause them to do something, you'll have a long wait.  They don't do anything with the data, certainly not making any decisions based on what is revealed.  Just asking is thought to be enough to justify their presence.

• Like 2