Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Threatened Strike by teachers

9 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Did anyone notice at the height of it all Cregeen was pictured in the press with a Machiavellian Blackadder beard, and now he’s back to a standard picture. 

The video on Manx Radio shows he's still got his beard.

• Haha 1

Essentially Teaching as virtuous as it may seem will always remain relatively poorly rewarded for many reasons:

Teaching colleges are always full - no shortage of labour.

The same argument happens in a 10 year cycle - 70’s 80’s 90’s ad infinitum

Teachers always over value their worth - “I’ve got a degree etc”

If you choose a profession that pays shite don’t be disappointed or feel hard done by when you get paid shite - your choice if having a degree and choosing a shite paying job is your “Vocation “

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
Neil Down is Ballakermeens Caretaker
  • Like 4

No shortage of labour?  God, I despair of this group sometimes.

teacher training targets have been missed for the last 5 years, with many subjects under-recruiting by over 50%. Teachers are leaving the profession in record numbers and last year, for the first time ever, the numbers leaving exceeded those entering the profession.

FFS will you stop commenting before checking your facts.  Now there’s a triumph of hope over experience if ever there was one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trostagh said:

No shortage of labour?  God, I despair of this group sometimes.

teacher training targets have been missed for the last 5 years, with many subjects under-recruiting by over 50%. Teachers are leaving the profession in record numbers and last year, for the first time ever, the numbers leaving exceeded those entering the profession.

FFS will you stop commenting before checking your facts.  Now there’s a triumph of hope over experience if ever there was one.

Until the day I know factually that at least 1 Isle of Man school is closed by a teacher shortage - your use of UK figures is a fucking insult to mine and many others intelligence.

Foxdale / Kewaigue primary or QE2 etc is not to be compared to an inner city conurbation class room with metal detectors on the gates and translators in the class rooms carrying significantly increased risks for the teachers -  you are conveniently transposing and interpreting figures that are likely true in the jurisdiction they were recorded in for your own benefit.

If IOM teachers all quit - there would be a rare full ferry of UK ones ready to take their places.....

• Like 1

As far as I’m aware, no UK schools have been closed by teacher shortages either. However, there are many more unqualified teachers working in them, head teachers report that pay is a substantive barrier to recruitment and that the number and quality of new applicants for teaching posts is at an all time low.  Of course, I wouldn’t want to insult your fucking intelligence by suggesting that might also be true here.

15 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

If IOM teachers all quit

Now there's a good idea.  They could all leave and take a minimum wage job to bolster their sense of self worth and preach about it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, display name said:

Now there's a good idea.  They could all leave and take a minimum wage job to bolster their sense of self worth and preach about it

And the glut of recently retired / pension drawers still on the supply rota will rub their hands..... Yes Miss

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they just let their paperwork amass I do not think that will cause any problems as when they finish their go slow or limited duties they will return to a pile of undone work,  just like self employed people do when they take a holiday they then play catch up for ages.

Well yesterday Quayle was claiming that it wasn't his job to get involved.

And today he got involved and announced: An independent review is to look into issues around the ongoing dispute between teachers and education bosses.  Though in true Quayle fashion: It's not yet known who will carry out the review, which will look issues such as governance and communication between teachers, schools and the education department.  Especially not known to Quayle, you suspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The man (Quayle) is a clown. That's not to say I care for the tone adopted by the unions. That Paul "Che Guevara" Whiteman fellow could start a fight in an empty room, judging by his rantings.

59 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The man (Quayle) is a clown. That's not to say I care for the tone adopted by the unions. That Paul "Che Guevara" Whiteman fellow could start a fight in an empty room, judging by his rantings.

The same Paul Whiteman on a inclusive salary of more than 200k pa?   Power to the people and their bank accounts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It’s a bit like Denis Healy claiming that being attacked by Geoffrey Howe was like being savaged by a dead sheep. I would imagine being attacked or bullied by Cregeen is exactly the same. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Hansard now has the text of Quayle replying to Caine's question on the dispute and this 'review' that has been announced.  It is ... quite something.  With every supplementary question Quayle manages to appear even more clueless.

One thing (the only thing) that is quite clear is that the "independent review of these matters, [will be] reporting directly to the Council of Ministers".  Which is hardly a vote of confidence in Cregeen or the DESC.