Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
MrPB

How will people without bank acs get benefits?

Recommended Posts

I see this question has been raised by Moorhouse 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/how-do-those-without-bank-accounts-collect-benefits-without-a-post-office/

As we’re not West Africa I find it hard to believe that some people still don’t have bank accounts in the IOM. Anyway it would cost nothing and takes two minutes to set up a pre paid card and account with Revolut or Monzo. The people affected by this must literally be less than a handful. Certainly hardly worth leaving a post office open for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be cheaper to have someone go round and deliver the cash to their door.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It would be cheaper to have someone go round and deliver the cash to their door.

Which would be quite ironic for an organization which runs a large fleet of vans which, err, drop letters and packages off at peoples front doors daily. But honestly who the hell doesn’t have a bank account in this day and age? It literally must be less than 10 of the claimed 170:benefit recipients in Ballasalla. Give them a free Monzo card and allow them to participate in the 21st Century like a normal person. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The esteemed Mr Morehouse has pointed out the Dandara advertising guff which got delivered the other day. On the new Ballasalla estate, lazily called Rearyt Mie, it says in pretty much the first line 'With the post office ... located close by'. 

Anyway, they'll end up sticking one of those machines in the new Spar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I see this question has been raised by Moorhouse 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/how-do-those-without-bank-accounts-collect-benefits-without-a-post-office/

As we’re not West Africa I find it hard to believe that some people still don’t have bank accounts in the IOM. Anyway it would cost nothing and takes two minutes to set up a pre paid card and account with Revolut or Monzo. The people affected by this must literally be less than a handful. Certainly hardly worth leaving a post office open for. 

Bob Monkhouse knows one of the answers to this question. If he doesn’t then I’m afraid he is even more useless than he is. Is he competing as to who can ask most questions and most pointless questions?

The answer is the Manx Credit Union based at Nadine House on North Quay, Douglas. Benefit Claimants should be able to get their benefits paid into their accounts, where they can withdraw. It’s hardly rocket science. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2112 said:

The answer is the Manx Credit Union based at Nadine House on North Quay, Douglas. Benefit Claimants should be able to get their benefits paid into their accounts, where they can withdraw. It’s hardly rocket science. 

If it’s ever open that is but a good point well made. Even outside of that this its clearly just political point scoring on behalf of Monghouse claiming to represent the 3 people in the whole of the South who don't have bank accounts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2112 said:

The answer is the Manx Credit Union based at Nadine House on North Quay, Douglas. Benefit Claimants should be able to get their benefits paid into their accounts, where they can withdraw. It’s hardly rocket science. 

It's nothing like any sort of answer because it isn't a bank, it's a credit union (the name's a clue).  It provides loans and savings accounts, but it doesn't provide any of the other services that a bank account will give you: cards, cheques, direct payments into or from the account, direct debits and so on.  It's a very good thing, but it's not a bank.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's nothing like any sort of answer because it isn't a bank, it's a credit union (the name's a clue).  It provides loans and savings accounts, but it doesn't provide any of the other services that a bank account will give you: cards, cheques, direct payments into or from the account, direct debits and so on.  It's a very good thing, but it's not a bank.

Very good point.

However, in the U.K. many Credit Unions allow people/account holders to get their benefits paid into their credit union account. If the Manx Credit Union is not allowed to do provide this service, then perhaps we are backwards, small minded and totally out of touch. It would also speak volumes of the legislation drafting skills within Government/AG’s Chambers/ Treasury. One of the reasons particularly in the U.K. for the growth of credit unions, was it provided many services to customers, for example providing bank account type facilities to customers unable to get a bank account (for one reason or another). Some people are unable to obtain even a basic bank account, due to lack of sufficient identification- no passport etc.

Edited by 2112

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can't access their money they'll eventually starve to death and we can strike them off the benefits register. More savings. Genius.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of a couple of people who are unable to open a bank account for one reason or another, they are getting very fussy these days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gettafa said:

It would be cheaper to have someone go round and deliver the cash to their door.

Great opportunity for MHK's to go door to door and meet the public in the real world! :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's nothing like any sort of answer because it isn't a bank, it's a credit union (the name's a clue).  It provides loans and savings accounts, but it doesn't provide any of the other services that a bank account will give you: cards, cheques, direct payments into or from the account, direct debits and so on.  It's a very good thing, but it's not a bank.

They’d starve trying to find it open to actually access their account anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's nothing like any sort of answer because it isn't a bank, it's a credit union (the name's a clue).  It provides loans and savings accounts, but it doesn't provide any of the other services that a bank account will give you: cards, cheques, direct payments into or from the account, direct debits and so on.  It's a very good thing, but it's not a bank.

Not quite true... you can arrange savings standing orders and there's a mechanism for having savings from your salary or other earned income to be paid directly into your CU account.

https://www.mcu.im/page_445219.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not quite true... you can arrange savings standing orders and there's a mechanism for having savings from your salary or other earned income to be paid directly into your CU account.

https://www.mcu.im/page_445219.html

As the OP says Revolut a similar card takes about 5 mins to apply for and you can use them for pretty much any transaction. This is just political point scoring and little else. There can’t be that many people who have never used a bank account for anything left in 2020. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...