Shop Local,use it or lose it.

20 minutes ago, pongo said:

Perhaps a McDonalds or a Starbucks. I hear they're very popular.

Nah, they eat their meat raw in Sulby.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tim (the league of Gentlemen) Baker while wanting you to stop shopping  online. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/people-have-to-use-local-services-or-they-lose-them/ While bei

I've never even seen the Spar shop although have passed it a few times (sorry guys) but have been to Caley's quite a number of times. It would be a shame to see it close, but unless there's peopl

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

New buyers just announced apparently. The community hub has been saved! 

ACD44362-6879-4660-BDAA-63D982BF73A0.jpeg

They don’t look that Asian! 

7 hours ago, MrPB said:

The high roof space above the shop in those pics would seem ideal for a lap dancing venue. Stick a big pole in the front and put a few red velvet chaise lounges round the edge and a some decent sound and lighting in. It could transform the Sulby economy - Spearmint Sulby! 

21 hours ago, Holte End said:

Tim (the league of Gentlemen) Baker while wanting you to stop shopping  online.

Baker fundamentally misunderstands what he’s actually saying. If he can’t understand why this shop isn’t being used by customers and also why it can’t even be sold to another interested party then he fundamentally fails to understand what is going on in our economy. And by this I mean our actual economy not the economy which cabinet office tells him exists either. The actual real Manx economy where it is getting harder and harder for small businesses and self employed business people to make a living as there is hardly any internal market for anything. Every retailer in the world is threatened by the move to online retailing, but perhaps he should ask why a shop which would be an absolute goldmine in any similar village in the north of the UK cannot even be almost given away? 

Edited by Dave Angel
Spelling error

Sulby is a dormitory village though. With the exception of two pubs (Glen and Ginger), there's nothing in it and most of the residents vacate it to attend work elsewhere for five days a week. Ramsey Shoprite is only 10 minutes away including parking. And Ramsey Post Office with a far greater range of services. Tesco deliver to the door from online. 

Caley's must struggle for footfall at the best of times?

5 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

would be an absolute goldmine in any similar village in the north of the UK

It would make a great Twin Peaks style roadside diner.

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d like to see Caleys turn into a takeaway, perhaps a fish and chip shop or a Chinese, there isn’t much serving Sulby, Ballaugh, Kirk Michael.

Kirk Michael chippy?

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d like to see Caleys turn into a takeaway, perhaps a fish and chip shop or a Chinese, there isn’t much serving Sulby, Ballaugh, Kirk Michael.

Sulby is served meals-wise by both the Sulby Glen and Ginger pubs though. Ditto Ballaugh with the Raven. There's a mobile chippy in KM one or two nights a week? 

There's just not the daily custom in the village with the exception of the daily papers?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Sulby is a dormitory village though. With the exception of two pubs (Glen and Ginger), there's nothing in it and most of the residents vacate it to attend work elsewhere for five days a week. Ramsey Shoprite is only 10 minutes away including parking. And Ramsey Post Office with a far greater range of services. Tesco deliver to the door from online. 

Caley's must struggle for footfall at the best of times?

Yes I agree there is nothing in it but I’d say that before he blames the internet Baker might spend a bit more time wondering how a business that has given one family a living for 60 years pretty much can’t be given away after 2 years. There were probably less people living around there in the 1970s and 1980s and it was still providing a living wage for the owner so perhaps it’s a bit deeper than blaming Amazon? 

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Sulby is served meals-wise by both the Sulby Glen and Ginger pubs though. Ditto Ballaugh with the Raven. There's a mobile chippy in KM one or two nights a week? 

There's just not the daily custom in the village with the exception of the daily papers?

I don’t think any of those deliver to your home though, they might do take outs though? 

2 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

Yes I agree there is nothing in it but I’d say that before he blames the internet Baker might spend a bit more time wondering how a business that has given one family a living for 60 years pretty much can’t be given away after 2 years.

There is only ever one reason why a property doesn't sell.