Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Holte End

Shop Local,use it or lose it.

1 minute ago, Dave Angel said:

Yes I agree there is nothing in it but I’d say that before he blames the internet Baker might spend a bit more time wondering how a business that has given one family a living for 60 years pretty much can’t be given away after 2 years. There were probably less people living around there in the 1970s and 1980s and it was still providing a living wage for the owner so perhaps it’s a bit deeper than blaming Amazon? 

I suppose it depends on what a living wage was for Raymond Caley? The shop probably just gave him a reason to get up in the morning latterly. And consumer attitudes and services have changed so much in that time since the 70s. Shoprite supermarkets, everything under one roof. People get used to doing one weekly shop rather than odds and ends daily. Tesco delivering. A hugely increased range of PO services but only economic to offer under one large local branch in Ramsey.

And back in the 70s the attitude was that it was an expedition to go to Ramsey too. Modern cars are quick, comfortable and convenient.

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Sulby is served meals-wise by both the Sulby Glen and Ginger pubs though. Ditto Ballaugh with the Raven. There's a mobile chippy in KM one or two nights a week? 

There's just not the daily custom in the village with the exception of the daily papers?

A daily paper, a pack of cigarettes and a carton of milk from a generation which is dying out. Do people under 30 even buy newspapers any more? I see builders buy the likes of the scum to read on a tea break but it’s about 30p, can’t see there is much profit in that.

Edited by Annoymouse

Didn't it used to sell petrol too? Back when that was still a thing you could make money on?

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

There is only ever one reason why a property doesn't sell.

Yes usually but I looked at the link above and it looks like they’re asking £199000 for the shop which is quite cheap. If the shop generated you even £20000 a year profit as a self employed shop or cafe owner that’s a 10% return. What would be my worry though is that even despite it looking cheap you couldn’t even make that sort of return so really you probably have to go the whole hog and buy the shop, the spare land, and do all the new building work so it’s probably just not economically viable. 

Edited by Dave Angel
Missing letter

1 minute ago, Dave Angel said:

Yes usually but I looked at the link above and they’re asking £199000 for the shop which s quite cheap. If the shop generated you even £20000 a year profit as a self employed shop or cafe owner that’s a 10% return. What would be my worry though is that even despite it looking cheap you couldn’t even make that sort of return so really you probably have to go the whole hog and buy the shop, the spare land, and do all the new building work so it’s just not economically viable. 

I don’t know the margins but to make 20k profit i would imagine you’d need to be making at least 100k turnover, that’s a lot of newspapers and coffees.

13 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

Yes usually but I looked at the link above and it looks like they’re asking £199000 for the shop which is quite cheap. If the shop generated you even £20000 a year profit as a self employed shop or cafe owner that’s a 10% return. What would be my worry though is that even despite it looking cheap you couldn’t even make that sort of return so really you probably have to go the whole hog and buy the shop, the spare land, and do all the new building work so it’s probably just not economically viable. 

You’d have to get quite high turnover for £20k profit a year on a shop which I bet that doesn’t do and you’d have to be your own labour as staff would eat into your margins. A takeaway makes sense and pay someone on a moped to plod around Ballaugh, Sulby, Jurby and Andreas for you delivering on minimum wage. You’d probably do it ok then. Coffee is high margin but realistically there’s no parking and it’s miles away from anywhere so who would go there for a coffee? Even as a house it’s a big plot and you could drop it all but who wants a big house there right on the road? So looks cheap but isn’t I’d say. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

4 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

that’s a 10% return. . 

That's not a return of 10% though. Because of the labour also involved.

Given that most jobs pay way more than £20k it would effectively be a loss.

Better to put that money in the bank and get a job if the numbers looked anything like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

who would go there for a coffee? 

Posh mums dropping their kids off at the primary school. And people from the affluent rural north passing through that crossroads on their way to  Athol St via the mountain road early every morning.

Looking at the pictures - there is plenty of space to build parking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

Posh mums dropping their kids off at the primary school. And people from the affluent rural north passing through that crossroads on their way to  Athol St via the mountain road early every morning.

Looking at the pictures - there is plenty of space to build parking.

Yes I put a link in to the outline plans above but there’s a fair cost involved in doing that plus the plan is for an entrance / exit onto the TT course at the side of the current shop for customers. Can you imagine how much of a nightmare it will be dealing with the DOI over that? The developer of the new estate at Snugborough had to redesign the whole estate at enormous cost as the DOI wouldn’t allow them to build a road access out onto the road because of TT traffic. Outline plans are usually just a few quid bunged at drawing a pipe dream for someone else to invest into and make happen to try to inflate the value of whatever you’re selling. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo