Sign in to follow this  
Dave Angel

Chief Minister apologises for homosexual convictions

he'll be apologizing for capital punishment next

• Like 4

I'm not sure there'll be many.

6 minutes ago, vee_dub said:

Absolutely bonkers.

What is bonkers about it? At the time we treated a lot of men very poorly indeed. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave Angel said:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who clicked on it expecting some juicy revelation. :P  Mind you expecting Quayle to have any convictions except "More Money for Farmers" might be a bit optimistic.

Again this is a news item dictated by press release.  The fact both Manx Radio and 3FM used the same ambiguous headline suggests it was on their copy and they just put it up without thinking.

47 minutes ago, Dave Angel said:

What is bonkers about it? At the time we treated a lot of men very poorly indeed. 

I completely understand the principle behind this and it need hardly be said that the shameful discrimination against gay people (men essentially) was outrageous.

But how far back do you go? In keeping with most of England and Scotland there was manifest discrimination here against Catholics for centuries right up until fairly late in the 19th century. Do we owe Catholics an apology? Should we apologise to the descendants of slaves of African heritage for the considerable number of Manx ships’ masters and crew sailing out of Liverpool in the ‘triangle trade’? I know that there were Manx airmen who participated in the firebombing of Dresden, regarded by many these days as a shameful act deliberately targetting civilians. Should we go on the record to say we regret that we were involved? 

• Like 2

How many of our esteemed leaders are members of the Living Hope church? 

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who clicked on it expecting some juicy revelation. :P  Mind you expecting Quayle to have any convictions except "More Money for Farmers" might be a bit optimistic.

I’m thinking maybe whoever wrote the press release was chuckling to themselves when they headed it up? As you say it looks like two news sites went for it so it probably just replicates what they were emailed. 

Which pillock started this pointless trend of apologising for history?

• Like 4

I thought the election wasn't until next year....

• Haha 1

Probably a current politician.

angela merkel might have something to say??

Appoologies for events past are fine to comply with the current desire for complicity for past generations attitudes and bigotries.....

but do they mean it? If not, why demean oneself for the errors of a past generation?