Jump to content

Heritage railways passengers numbers


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I spoke to a couple from Canada and they showed me the cruise ships list of trips. Omg really expensive from memory around £75 for a trip to Laxey Wheel 

I think I'll buy a minibus and do a bit of touting!

Mind you, the admission to Laxey Wheel isn't cheap either!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The sooner all of the Heritage transport systems are moved over to the 3rd/volunteer sector the better.

I think the Welcome Centre comes under the Cabinet Office and was transferred from the DfE (or rather its predecessor the DED) which may mean there is little love lost there.  They don't seem to sell

Increasing or reinstalling train services is a no no as lots of the previous land has been sold or moved on .. Bridges demolished and the likes .And you'd still be up against the 'have to have my car'

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think I'll buy a minibus and do a bit of touting!

Mind you, the admission to Laxey Wheel isn't cheap either!

Haha a few spare ones lying around in various school playgrounds !! Take your pick . Oh should have made that clear , I'm sure it was per person 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

80k Horse Tram journeys/?????

That'd be about 40 on every single tram?

Or two on each of the 40k tram trips? :lol:

ETA. Are there any actual figures for how many journeys up and down the prom the trams actually make in a season or in a year even? Notwithstanding that some passenger's journeys may not be for the full distance of course?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrPB said:

I think you’ll find it wasn’t. 

Spoke to my friend and apparently where both right lol So get your head around this . There's the Welcome center , then there's MNH outlet trying to promote their sites , duplication you'd have thought and clearly Welcome Center should be able to do both but joined up Government etc . Then there's volunteers at a separate little outlet that caters for the cruise ships I think under Tourism. What a set up !!!  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Spoke to my friend and apparently where both right lol So get your head around this . There's the Welcome center , then there's MNH outlet trying to promote their sites , duplication you'd have thought and clearly Welcome Center should be able to do both but joined up Government etc . Then there's volunteers at a separate little outlet that caters for the cruise ships I think under Tourism. What a set up !!!  

Yes I’d say that’s right so why do we need 2 sets of people employed by government plus a bunch of volunteers to all to do the exact same thing within 20 feet of each other? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Yes I’d say that’s right so why do we need 2 sets of people employed by government plus a bunch of volunteers to all to do the exact same thing within 20 feet of each other? 

Exactly , we don't ! Welcome center could do it all. Internal politics and when  all said and done Government fund MNH . To obvious maybe haha it's nuts . People justifying there positions and salaries ...!!!!! 

Edited by Numbnuts
Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't we make it a bit more like a traditional Cruise stop off? Maybe Robinsons could sell watermelons, have a few touts hanging around, some nanas knitting tea towels and someone selling fake Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton bags made up in Jurby. Give it that local vibe.

day-98.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.azamara.com/int/shore-excursion-details/A702

Here's an example of the prices paid by cruise passengers. Makes you laugh, because MNH will be lucky to see a fraction of that :P

Actually I might as well list them per person:

3 hr guided tour to Cregneash = $99
Steam Train Dining Experience = $249
Grove Museum Trip = $89

Edited by Manxberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Couldn't we make it a bit more like a traditional Cruise stop off? Maybe Robinsons could sell watermelons, have a few touts hanging around, some nanas knitting tea towels and someone selling fake Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton bags made up in Jurby. Give it that local vibe.

Maybe Mr Callister if he’s so keen on developing our cruise economy could be our own Lucky Lucky Man? 

DE73B774-4EE6-4C85-AFB0-A1880AA773E9.jpeg

Edited by Grounds Keeper Willy
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with cruise ships is that their passengers do not get channelled through the Sea Terminal, so most won't even know that there is a whelk home centre inside.

How about a nice cheap idea.......  put advertising A boards up outside the doors on cruise ship days.

It's not rocket science.

The kiosk was a bit silly, may have been open different times, but much of what it did duplicated what was available in the main shop. It suggests to me that the main shop should have a larger variety of Manx souvenirs available, with an extra person manning a till on cruise ship days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Manxberry said:

https://www.azamara.com/int/shore-excursion-details/A702

Here's an example of the prices paid by cruise passengers. Makes you laugh, because MNH will be lucky to see a fraction of that :P

Actually I might as well list them per person:

3 hr guided tour to Cregneash = $99
Steam Train Dining Experience = $249
Grove Museum Trip = $89

at those prices they'll be making a loss in a couple of years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Manxberry said:

https://www.azamara.com/int/shore-excursion-details/A702

Here's an example of the prices paid by cruise passengers. Makes you laugh, because MNH will be lucky to see a fraction of that :P

Actually I might as well list them per person:

3 hr guided tour to Cregneash = $99
Steam Train Dining Experience = $249
Grove Museum Trip = $89

The $249 for the Steam Train Dining Experience will want to be more than Pie + Mash for that money...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The $249 for the Steam Train Dining Experience will want to be more than Pie + Mash for that money...

Something has to pay for the "cabbage"

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Pie mash and a blow job? 

Well, last time I was on the meal train one of the waitresses wasn't bad looking TBH.:lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...