Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Dave Angel

16.8% of kids qualify for free meals

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's true but for a lot of them it's a ticket to ride literally!

I’m not sure it is though other than for a very small minority. A lot of social security is in my mind picking up the tab for the behaviour of a lot of feckless men who get to piss off and dump what should be their costs onto the taxpayer. 

Maybe you should reserve some ire for a system that allows feckless fathers to absolve themselves of responsibility...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

Maybe you should reserve some ire for a system that allows feckless fathers to absolve themselves of responsibility...

Why would anyone want to have any ire for an economic safety net which ensures that innocent children don't become the victims of poverty and abandonment like the Victorian work house system? It’s the benchmark of a decent progressive society. Throughout history men have very often fucked off leaving their former partners and their abandoned children destitute without any form of financial support. At least we don’t let that happen now through taxpayer funded benefits. It’s very rarely the fault of the mother or the child that they have been abandoned and left to fend for themselves. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

While you may feel this is true, it isn't always the dad, and that general attitude doesn't fucking help. 

Agreed, it's not always the dad. The mother of my two young wish children walked out on them because she couldn't keep her knickers on when she was anywhere near a local who had a rally car.

Fortunately, I won't need the social

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Tomtom21 said:

The mother of my two young wish children walked out on them because she couldn't keep her knickers on when she was anywhere near a local who had a rally car.

You didn’t buy that Subaru then? 

Edited by Grounds Keeper Willy
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Why would anyone want to have any ire for an economic safety net which ensures that innocent children don't become the victims of poverty and abandonment like the Victorian work house system? It’s the benchmark of a decent progressive society. Throughout history men have very often fucked off leaving their former partners and their abandoned children destitute without any form of financial support. At least we don’t let that happen now through taxpayer funded benefits. It’s very rarely the fault of the mother or the child that they have been abandoned and left to fend for themselves. 

Did you even bother to read my post? There are two work colleagues of mine, both earning £20k+ and living in subsidised council houses who think it marvellous that they've gotten away with NOT supporting their offspring, financially or otherwise. Even though a court order exists against one of them. How they're allowed to get away with this is beyond me. They should be forced to cough up and take responsibility. A manx equivalent of the CSA wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, quilp said:

A manx equivalent of the CSA wouldn't go amiss.

Remove your post immediately - it wouldn't be The People's Prince as he's got Onchan Commisioners voters to farm - but one of them will pick up the idea of a whole new CSA Government Department........

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage
I miss Dilli
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, quilp said:

A manx equivalent of the CSA wouldn't go amiss.

But there is such a department, if my memory serves me? I think it's called the "Liable Relatives" section of the DHSC, though how much legal weight it carries and what state its teeth are in might be other questions?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Even though a court order exists against one of them. How they're allowed to get away with this is beyond me. They should be forced to cough up and take responsibility. A manx equivalent of the CSA wouldn't go amiss.

There is a Manx equivalent to the CSA you want to shop them to it. There’s definitely people in the DHSC who do this. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

While you may feel this is true, it isn't always the dad, and that general attitude doesn't fucking help. 

I was countering the unhelpful general attitude that it's the mum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrPB said:

That’s a bit unfair blaming an insecure woman for falling for the lies of a load of chancers like the exact same thing hasn't happened for the last 2,000 years or so. Very few women deliberately get pregnant. I’d say most largely get talked into it by manipulative men. Those condoms can be hellishly itchy for the wrong bloke. And if she loved him really it shouldn’t matter if she ends up pregnant or not. Than there’s religions that prohibit a man from wearing a jonnie. Etc, etc, etc. 

Alcohol. You missed alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Alcohol. You missed alcohol.

Oh those misunderstood beer goggles...

16 hours ago, MrPB said:

That’s a bit unfair blaming an insecure woman for falling for the lies of a load of chancers like the exact same thing hasn't happened for the last 2,000 years or so. Very few women deliberately get pregnant. I’d say most largely get talked into it by manipulative men. Those condoms can be hellishly itchy for the wrong bloke. And if she loved him really it shouldn’t matter if she ends up pregnant or not. Than there’s religions that prohibit a man from wearing a jonnie. Etc, etc, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I know it is usually the fathers, but I was just pointing out not always.  I wouldn't say she is insecure, she's an idiot who loves cock too much and appears incapable of learning. 

For genuine kids/parents that need the free dinners, I 100% agree and am happy that some of my tax money goes to feed them.  If they are truly that poor, it's within the realms of possibility that their school dinner is the only decent meal they would get.   I saw some study somewhere, that did link nutritious meals with better behavior and improved learning.  This of course assumes that they don't just get chips and turkey dinosaurs at school for lunch. 

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I wouldn't say she is insecure, she's an idiot who loves cock too much and appears incapable of learning. 

Most blokes’ ideal woman then?