5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But they're still importantly part of the club and will presumably remain entitled to "less stringent" application now? This is where UK has cut off its nose to spite its face.

Plus Eire is also now a net contributor to EU finances anyway if my memory serves me?

UK could always set it's own rules and boycott Eire.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All is not lost, we have the guiding hands of the Quayle administration which, with its professionalism and long-sighted preparedness will be our rock. Its unstinting efforts in ensuring this Island's

Brexit will be a disaster for the Isle of Man because it will be a disaster for the UK and the only route they will have to pursue to try and keep the money coming in will be Singapore-on-Sea. Th

good luck with that.        

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

At which point the rest of the EU would unite behind Eire (as a member) and turn the screws a bit further? UK has isolated itself, out of choice. Now it has to live with the consequences.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

At which point the rest of the EU would unite behind Eire (as a member) and turn the screws a bit further? UK has isolated itself, out of choice. Now it has to live with the consequences.

WHO CARES?  

We don't NEED the EU.

1 minute ago, Rog said:

WHO CARES?  

We don't NEED the EU.

Not even a trading bloc of 370 million people? You're obviously not, nor vaguely associated with any UK manufacturers or exporters.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Not even a trading bloc of 370 million people? You're obviously not, nor vaguely associated with any UK manufacturers or exporters.

Not even a trading Bloc of 370 million.  Compared with the trade opportunities from the global market it's insignificant. Indeed even Brazil alone has a market of over 200 million and in any case the costs of trade deals with the EU will be huge and not to our advantage.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Rog said:

Not even a trading Bloc of 370 million.  Compared with the trade opportunities from the global market it's insignificant. Indeed even Brazil alone has a market of over 200 million and in any case the costs of trade deals with the EU will be huge and not to our advantage.

Whenever you post, I always imagine you've names your car BroadSword and you've got a dog called DannyBoy. No idea why.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, parchedpeas said:

Whenever you post, I always imagine you've names your car BroadSword and you've got a dog called DannyBoy. No idea why.

I've got a car called Bentley and my dog is a border collie called Bea. 

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And do what?

Financial and technical pressures applied through further "inconveniences" as exemptions normally "applied" through membership become no longer applicable? UK chose to go it alone, it may not be able to have its cake and eat it as well?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Financial and technical pressures applied through further "inconveniences" as exemptions normally "applied" through membership become no longer applicable? UK chose to go it alone, it may not be able to have its cake and eat it as well?

What's all this crap about "going it alone"? The UK existed long before the EU.

When De Gaulle said 'non' to UK participation, he was right. Les Anglo-Saxons aren't Europeans.

That irony is not lost on me.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And most importantly end the ludicrous CTA nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's all this crap about "going it alone"? The UK existed long before the EU.

When De Gaulle said 'non' to UK participation, he was right. Les Anglo-Saxons aren't Europeans.

That irony is not lost on me.

It's more than that.

In the UK Westminster basis of government Parliment is sovereign with the executive (civil service) supporting and implementing the decisions made by Parliament.

In European states deductions are made by the executive that then submit them to their Parliment that can do little more than debate them and return them to the executive which amends them or doesn't before sending them back to Parliment to accept them

That is EXACTLY how the EC works with the power being vested in the European Commission and very little if any in the European Parliament which by nature of it being segmented into now 26 bits is virtually powerless beyond doing what the European Commission tells it to do.

13 minutes ago, Rog said:

And most importantly end the ludicrous CTA nonsense.

Actually the CTA is Eire's lifeline. Without that the 2008/2009 crisis would have been even worse for them as thousands 'emigrated' to UK for work when unemployment jumped to 18% at one point.

With Eire's shared history and trade links with UK, it wouldn't surprise me if they exited EU in the next 20 years.

ETA: And they still need to cough up further £2billion by March 2021 to UK for loans made after 2008 collapse.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually the CTA is Eire's lifeline. Without that the 2008/2009 crisis would have been even worse for them as thousands 'emigrated' to UK for work when unemployment jumped to 18% at one point.

With Eire's shared history and trade links with UK, it wouldn't surprise me if they exited EU in the next 20 years.

Who gives a stuff about Eire and without the ludicrous political relationship and CTA the desperate Irish the option of coming to OUR country should not have been just get a boat and scrounge off us. It's a foreign country FFS.

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

Who gives a stuff about Eire and without the ludicrous political relationship and CTA the desperate Irish the option of coming to OUR country should not have been just get a boat and scrounge off us. It's a foreign country FFS.

I care more for the Irish than I do some of the Europeans.... they have Guinness for a start. And then there's the Blarney Stone....

• Like 2