29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's all this crap about "going it alone"? The UK existed long before the EU.

We both know that Andy. But the world has moved on from that position. The UK has decided to detach itself from its various previously agreed relationships with a huge trading bloc of 370M people starting just 22 miles away across the Channel that it currently does most of its trade with and wants to set up potential barriers, obstacles and inconveniences to any continuing trade with that bloc. Although much of that trade relies on the lack of such inconveniences. With nothing substantial at this point to replace it.

Other than this premise that the UK can be sovereign and be great again. Oh, and other than the 200M people in Brazil that Rog has suggested might want to buy something from the UK. Although as Woolley has confirmed, we're no longer a manufacturing force in the world, majoring instead in the service industries. So Lord knows what we can sell or trade with Brazil et al. Captain Webb matches for the rainforest maybe?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All is not lost, we have the guiding hands of the Quayle administration which, with its professionalism and long-sighted preparedness will be our rock. Its unstinting efforts in ensuring this Island's

Brexit will be a disaster for the Isle of Man because it will be a disaster for the UK and the only route they will have to pursue to try and keep the money coming in will be Singapore-on-Sea. Th

good luck with that.        

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We both know that Andy. But the world has moved on from that position. The UK has decided to detach itself from its various previously agreed relationships with a huge trading bloc of 370M people starting just 22 miles away across the Channel that it currently does most of its trade with and wants to set up potential barriers, obstacles and inconveniences to any continuing trade with that bloc. Although much of that trade relies on the lack of such inconveniences. With nothing substantial at this point to replace it.

Other than this premise that the UK can be sovereign and be great again. Oh, and other than the 200M people in Brazil that Rog has suggested might want to buy something from the UK. Although as Woolley has confirmed, we're no longer a manufacturing force in the world, majoring instead in the service industries. So Lord knows what we can sell or trade with Brazil et al. Captain Webb matches for the rainforest maybe?

I think you and I agree on a lot of things but I think on this we will have to agree to disagree.

The EU can't even sanction it's own members who have blatantly flouted tax laws for the best part of 30 years. It's in no position to lecture others.

ETA: But despite that we'll still do business with Europe.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

I'm not trying to suggest that the EU is a perfect entity, it's not and is most unlikely to ever be. But the benefits, particularly in trade and influence outweighed those failings. And that naturally has a knock-on to the IoM.

UK has not only exited in this claim of regaining its "sovereignty". It has also exited its position of any influence in protecting its CDs. Didn't hear anybody extolling the virtues of that. If what the EU has now imposed on the Caymans is a portent of what may come then that does not bode well for the IoM. Doubtless Rog, who last set foot here 50 years ago, will be rubbing his hands with glee in Fenland at the prospect of the Island's economic demise.

The Island's population may take a different view when they're back to a couple of steps above crofting with our elected still declaring that we've never had it so good.

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm not trying to suggest that the EU is a perfect entity, it's not and is most unlikely to ever be. But the benefits, particularly in trade and influence outweighed those failings. And that naturally has a knock-on to the IoM.

UK has not only exited in this claim of regaining its "sovereignty". It has also exited its position of any influence in protecting its CDs. Didn't hear anybody extolling the virtues of that. If what the EU has now imposed on the Caymans is a portent of what may come then that does not bode well for the IoM. Doubtless Rog, who last set foot here 50 years ago, will be rubbing his hands with glee in Fenland at the prospect of the Island's economic demise.

The Island's population may take a different view when they're back to a couple of steps above crofting with our elected still declaring that we've never had it so good.

Not rubbing my hands with glee but the future of 80,000 people is of insignificance when the future of around 70,000,000 in the UK is concerned and especially the 5500,000 population of England it is totally irrelevant. That's just how it is.

2 minutes ago, piebaps said:

We will - The English will be there batting for us.

Representatives of HMG will be batting for the UK.

Go figure.

5 minutes ago, piebaps said:

We will - The hated English will be there batting for us.

FTFM:D

It has to be the English Rog because the rest of the UK voted to stay.

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, piebaps said:

FTFM:D

It has to be the English Rog because the rest of the UK voted to stay.

The UK voted to leave.  That's all that matters and HMG will be representing the UK vital interests.  

7 minutes ago, Holte End said:

To hell with them.  Were OUT.

All the transition period should be concerned with is any frayed ends such as reciprocal health services, validity of driving licenses, visa requirements between the UK and the EU and such.

SOD THEM and their even playing fields.

The smell of Unicorn is strong in this thread.

The Isle of Man is to the UK what the UK is now to Europe. And all our moaning about loss of control and dominance from Westminster will be replicated between Westminster and Brussels. And worse than that for the Isle of Man, because, while the UK government will be able to find some benefits to Brexit, these will likely be at the expense of the Isle of Man's USP because they will be in competition with what we do.

If I was Manx-born and starting out now, I'd be looking to the UK for my future - if Brexit is to benefit anywhere, it'll be there before it is here.

1 hour ago, parchedpeas said:

The smell of Unicorn is strong in this thread.

The Isle of Man is to the UK what the UK is now to Europe. And all our moaning about loss of control and dominance from Westminster will be replicated between Westminster and Brussels. And worse than that for the Isle of Man, because, while the UK government will be able to find some benefits to Brexit, these will likely be at the expense of the Isle of Man's USP because they will be in competition with what we do.

If I was Manx-born and starting out now, I'd be looking to the UK for my future - if Brexit is to benefit anywhere, it'll be there before it is here.

Comparing the island and its relationship with the mainland and the mainland with the EU is not a valid comparison for a variety of reasons not least that the UK has never taxed the island for it being allowed to have a relationship with it.  Actually the precise opposite of such things as the NHS are concerned.

I do agree that there are probably not going to be any benefits from BREXIT for the island and almost certainly the precise opposite but BREXIT was not about the island and was never intended to be.

As for the going forward plan for younger folk on the island in my opinion the best move will be to leave.