Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Derek Flint

BREXITWATCH

1 minute ago, pongo said:

No, with respect, you're wrong. This decision is down to the government

The decision is down to government influenced by feedback from northern MPs and northern leaders like Burnham who have been getting it in the neck for years about how bad northern rail is. Boris now has a debt to the north and they’re making sure he pays it. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The decision is down to government influenced by feedback from northern MPs and northern leaders like Burnham who have been getting it in the neck for years about how bad northern rail is. Boris now has a debt to the north and they’re making sure he pays it. 

The government doesn't care what 'Andy' Burnham thinks. 

Edited by pongo

He was holding some sort of cabinet session in Sunderland for a day yesterday 

& then went missing

1 minute ago, pongo said:

This government doesn't care what anyone thinks

Not even the Queen

• Like 2

Brexit is part of a cultural war. It's between people who are relaxed with the modern world and who have been making their lives work - vs people who, in many cases, have chosen to be left behind.

Demographics will largely fix it. Provided the govt doesn't waste too much money trying to fix places which have had decades to sort themselves out. Sending good money after bad, so to speak.

Edited by pongo

I hope he went into the city centre of Sunderland and saw what the reality of Northern England is. As my hometown I was there a couple if weeks ago and it is desperate. Pretty much every second shop unit is shut and those that remain are mostly booze shops, vaping shops or junk food places.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

I’m pretty sure that they do as it’s not like they spend much time in the north themselves gauging opinion. 

13 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I hope he went into the city centre of Sunderland and saw what the reality of Northern England is. As my hometown I was there a couple if weeks ago and it is desperate. Pretty much every second shop unit is shut and those that remain are mostly booze shops, vaping shops or junk food places.

And yet those areas have had decades to sort themselves out. Why do you think they haven't?

Surely low business rents and cheap property should have made Sunderland a great place to work from remotely? What do you believe has blocked that?

My hunch is that much of Britain was waiting for someone else to fix it. Mummy or the government.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

And yet those areas have had decades to sort themselves out. Why do you think they haven't?

Surely low business rents and cheap property should have made Sunderland a great place to work from remotely? What do you believe has blocked that?

Decades ago it was a thriving place. It is obviously a massively complex thing but it was primarily the failure to replace traditional Industry with meaningful employment. You have Nissan and subsidiary industries but beyond that there really isn't much. It is something that various Governments of all sides have not tackled.

I left there at 18, most of my school friends left as well. Unfortunately, there is a population of kids whose parents have never worked and whose grandparents have never worked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

No Croissants in Shoprite this morning - coincidence ?????

Don't worry.... There's a boat in the morning.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

He was holding some sort of cabinet session in Sunderland for a day yesterday 

& then went missing

Apparently some Black Cats were looking to sign him up because of him giving people the nod and also skilled in dribbling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pongo said:

My hunch is that much of Britain was waiting for someone else to fix it. Mummy or the government.

Ideal breeding ground for sustainable development!

Pack them in, cut off their links and you have a cheap willing workforce ready to be utilised by the highest bidder.

Nothing to see here ... move along........>>>

11 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Decades ago it was a thriving place. It is obviously a massively complex thing but it was primarily the failure to replace traditional Industry with meaningful employment. You have Nissan and subsidiary industries but beyond that there really isn't much. It is something that various Governments of all sides have not tackled.

I left there at 18, most of my school friends left as well. Unfortunately, there is a population of kids whose parents have never worked and whose grandparents have never worked.

It will be interesting to see how long Nissan stays. There has been rumblings.