Patient Transfers

yootalkin2me

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So how much should IOMG pay FlyBe, in your opinion?

£140 per return (£70 per single sector) is slightly more than the median fare paid on FlyBe. Not everyone takes hold luggage either, and not every ticket is changed. Hell, when you can get returns easily a couple of weeks in advance for under £60 then even £75 a sector seems daft! 

That morning flight out and last one back is important for those with early appointments, but it's a literal rip off what is being offered to FlyBe. 

Note that when the flights don't suit, patient transfer will send bookings on to the travel agent (why...!) to use easyJet where required too at standard web rates (+travel agent commission!). 

5 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

£140 per return (£70 per single sector) is slightly more than the median fare paid on FlyBe. Not everyone takes hold luggage either, and not every ticket is changed. Hell, when you can get returns easily a couple of weeks in advance for under £60 then even £75 a sector seems daft! 

That morning flight out and last one back is important for those with early appointments, but it's a literal rip off what is being offered to FlyBe. 

Note that when the flights don't suit, patient transfer will send bookings on to the travel agent (why...!) to use easyJet where required too at standard web rates (+travel agent commission!). 

Good luck with negotiating with FlyBe's successors.

1 hour ago, Manxberry said:

The Isle of Man government should not be put in charge of running an airline. But they subsidise Flybe to the tune of about £4 million every year with the patient transfer contract, of all the routes that FlyBe may chop - that one will stay.

If Flybe go bust, easyJet or Stobart will pick it up. It's not difficult

If FlyBe did disappear, my money would be on Loganair replacing the patient transfer service almost immediately. 

Already experienced in it with suitable aircraft - and a better booking system!  As JW said, EasyJet wouldn't be interested because of knock on impact on other routes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Definitely not mistaken. It's £155 return. 

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Oh no it isn’t 

I believe that it is whatever the highest fare applicable is at the time. To be fair the fully flexible fare applies as people may be kept in hospital for one reason or another.

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I believe that it is whatever the highest fare applicable is at the time. To be fair the fully flexible fare applies as people may be kept in hospital for one reason or another.

It's 100% £155 return to Liverpool on the hospital deal. 

If you get an appointment and the doctor doesn't authorise a companion for you, then they will book you a flight and you call them up to pay. I should know! I've done it 3 times since December! 

Edited by foxdaleliberationfront
  • Like 2

Funny isn't it. We're up in arms about the relative cost of a service used to take sick people to hospitals where they receive treatment we could never effectively provide on island. 

Yet we're not bothered about £8.5m down the drain for a selection of empty trains rattling round the countryside. A proposal to blow £5m on a dusty old yacht... really weird priorities 

• Like 1

There are a number of good reasons the IOMG can’t just buy a plane. 

First of all, they would need an Air Operators Certificate. The Manx CAA can’t issue an AOC, so they’d have to set up a UK company on a G reg. Then they would effectively have to run it as a single aircraft airline. So that involves crewing, maintenance etc. all the stuff that is currently absorbed into an airline operation. It’s likely telling that Flybe don’t designate a specific aircraft solely for patient transport. 

Not an easy game, and it’s pretty certain we’d make an arse of it anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

It's 100% £155 return to Liverpool on the hospital deal. 

If you get an appointment and the doctor doesn't authorise a companion for you, then they will book you a flight and you call them up to pay. I should know! I've done it 3 times since December! 

Ah, you’re the Brian Otto fake profile that was thrown off the FB group. Bye bye.

• Like 1