Jump to content

Lorem Ipsum - Isle of Man Newspapers - insults


John Wright
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

I just quickly searched to see if a similar topic had been covered before I posted this and it appears that it has and that he’s clearly at it again. The irony of the newspaper Editor giving such prominent column space to an anonymous letter writer who has written a letter about anonymous trolls who apparently completely ruin his enjoyment of local politics coverage. Is there such a thing as a double irony? I don’t like people posting all this anonymous stuff, but please Mr Editor don’t put my name to these views in the paper when you publish my letter! If the Editor didn’t write it himself that is! 

ABBF342A-B54C-48C9-9FD2-482611587E90.jpeg

Wait until that person discovers that people actually voice those opinions in person in a pub! 

 

I'd say we dodged a bullet by avoiding the potential for such a sensitive soul from being elected to House of Keys. I actually want to see MHKs with a bit of fight and not be afraid to say what needs to be said.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

I just quickly searched to see if a similar topic had been covered before I posted this and it appears that it has and that he’s clearly at it again. The irony of the newspaper Editor giving such prominent column space to an anonymous letter writer who has written a letter about anonymous trolls who apparently completely ruin his enjoyment of local politics coverage. Is there such a thing as a double irony? I don’t like people posting all this anonymous stuff, but please Mr Editor don’t put my name to these views in the paper when you publish my letter! If the Editor didn’t write it himself that is! 

ABBF342A-B54C-48C9-9FD2-482611587E90.jpeg

Well, as that ‘letter’ (anonymous letters are all the rage, aren’t they?) includes the word ‘hyperbole’ we know the author isn’t Howard Quayle; he’s a stranger to that one. And that’s a shame, as confirmation that he’s been put off standing for public office would be delightful. 
 

As to its provenance, ‘newspaper’ editors pen fake letters to stimulate a response all the time and have done so for decades, so that may well be what’s happened. If it’s from a reader, the rather lecturing, holier than thou tone very much indeed suggests an aspirant politician. As we have enough of the ilk that would write this kind of prose with more than a whiff of condescension, I find myself rather chuffed that they don’t fancy the rough and tumble. 
 

And the ‘double irony’ - very good point - is almost certainly lost on the writer and the editor, whether they be the same, or nay.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

I'd say we dodged a bullet by avoiding the potential for such a sensitive soul from being elected to House of Keys. I actually want to see MHKs with a bit of fight and not be afraid to say what needs to be said.

I’d be fairly confident that the writer was either the Editor of one of his chums. He seems to have a real problem with anonymous accounts despite the rather ludicrous ones that seem to populate his own website several of whom sound remarkably like him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a lot of good points were made in this letter. And I’m not surprised they were made anonymously. Most of us on here do the same so it’s a bit rich criticising those doing so on another platform.

The sometimes vile comments in this forum directed against the Chief Minister and Minister Ashford does make one wonder whether it would be worth standing for office. 

And the often horrible abuse on here far outweighs any rare constructive criticism.

Unfavourable, nay nasty, comments on physical appearance and pronunciation etc say more about those making them than the objects of their derision.

FFS the Chief Minister is even derided for saying “Good Afternoon”in his native tongue. Why people choose to ridicule this is beyond me.

Debate is healthy, insults are not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

FFS the Chief Minister is even derided for saying “Good Afternoon”in his native tongue. Why people choose to ridicule this is beyond me.

 

Did the chief Minister say "Fastyr Mie" when he was a lad at school for example? No.

It sounds so pseudo. Plastic Manx.

 

 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Did the chief Minister say "Fastyr Mie" when he was a lad at school for example? No.

It sounds so pseudo. Plastic Manx.

 

He wasn’t Chief Minister when he was a lad at school

 In fact having listened to Manx Radio and the Chief Minister I greet my wife most mornings by say “Moghrey mie” and I am by no means Manx, nor am I taking the mickey. Sometimes I mix it a bit by saying “ Bonjour” or “Bon matin”( and I’m not French either)
 

Why should a Manxman speaking in his own language sound pseudo and plastic?

Should President Macron not use French?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Roboto said:

I’d be fairly confident that the writer was either the Editor of one of his chums. He seems to have a real problem with anonymous accounts despite the rather ludicrous ones that seem to populate his own website several of whom sound remarkably like him. 

how did they spell definitely? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think a lot of good points were made in this letter. And I’m not surprised they were made anonymously. Most of us on here do the same so it’s a bit rich criticising those doing so on another platform.

The sometimes vile comments in this forum directed against the Chief Minister and Minister Ashford does make one wonder whether it would be worth standing for office. 

And the often horrible abuse on here far outweighs any rare constructive criticism.

Unfavourable, nay nasty, comments on physical appearance and pronunciation etc say more about those making them than the objects of their derision.

FFS the Chief Minister is even derided for saying “Good Afternoon”in his native tongue. Why people choose to ridicule this is beyond me.

Debate is healthy, insults are not.

There's a bit of a reference in that letter to an individual being accused of taking brown envelopes. Who or what were you referring to there? Or the mhk being called a murderer? I don't recall any of this

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, english zloty said:

how did they spell definitely? 

We all know who ‘H’ is around these parts.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

 

FFS the Chief Minister is even derided for saying “Good Afternoon”in his native tongue. Why people choose to ridicule this is beyond me.

Debate is healthy, insults are not.

But its not his native tongue is it?   

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He wasn’t Chief Minister when he was a lad at school

No he wasn't Chief Minister, he was um, a lad at school. I doubt he or indeed other than a very few of the  myriad fastyr miers these days ever used the phrase before the mid 1990s, if that.

Fair enough, give the dead Manx language a kick start, I've nought against that as such, but it still sounds pseudo and plastic.

Every time I hear the phrase I am reminded of Marge Joughin, beratedly (berate was Marge's stock mode of speech) telling David Callister on Manx Radio Mannin Line that "it's our differences that make us different".

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

But its not his native tongue is it?   

As Chief Minister of the Isle of Man it behoves him to use a Manx greeting and I think it’s right he does.

I think it’s disrespectful to the IOM and the Manx language to take the piss out of him for doing so.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As Chief Minister of the Isle of Man it behoves him to use a Manx greeting and I think it’s right he does.

I think it’s disrespectful to the IOM and the Manx language to take the piss out of him for doing so.

Its disrespectful to pretend to know what you are saying in an important pubic role.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As Chief Minister of the Isle of Man it behoves him to use a Manx greeting and I think it’s right he does.

I think it’s disrespectful to the IOM and the Manx language to take the piss out of him for doing so.

 

He should just go the full pantomine hog, like they do at the Young Farmers concerts, do it in a drawly squeaky voice like Phil Gawne on Manx Radio, like always taking the piss out of wizened aul Manx farmers with a flat cap (who never used the actual phrase anyway, because they didn't have a glossy book on How To Speak Manx)

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...