Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

TT and FoM figures positive

12 minutes ago, joebean said:

Put all this together and the notion of continual growth in our IOM motorcycle events looks flawed and the assumption that large investment in event facilities will reap returns is probably misplaced. Reliance on Motorcycle events to attract a significant numbers of visitors in the long-term would be unwise and some new strategies should be explored. I worry that the heritage focus of our current tourism offering will also be a reducing attraction and the sector will experience a double decline. Some imagination and alternative investment is required, and soon.

The Mayor of Amsterdam is making ban tourists from buying pot noises...

32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I would not miss the TT tbh, but would like to see the so called FOM enhanced and sidecars added. Far more variety as opposed to the TT when about 4 races are more or less the same.

2 strokes, sidecars, classics and maybe one race for so called superbikes would be good. 

Hold this in July and forget the June and August ones

Alleged un-public policy is to run down and dispose of the sidecar races in order to run more "real racing" (quote/unquote). 2 strokes are passé now as there is no 2 stroke market to advertise for due to emissions legislation. The existing ones are dwindling remnants from the days of yore.

I'd like to see more variety in the TT programme though, too. Moto 3 is established now, that could be run. Other production based classes with the emphasis on development and economy.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I would not miss the TT tbh, but would like to see the so called FOM enhanced and sidecars added. Far more variety as opposed to the TT when about 4 races are more or less the same.

2 strokes, sidecars, classics and maybe one race for so called superbikes would be good. 

Hold this in July and forget the June and August ones

This post typifies the attitude of some local motorcycle "enthusiasts" who think the TT and FoM exist, primarily, to give them a set of races that they find appealing. The reason both events exist is to support the Island's tourism sector and bring tourist money into the economy. That is what DfE, or whatever it is currently labelled, is required to do. Combining both events might produce one event that dilligaf likes but capacity issues in the accommodation sector and ferry operator will limit the number of attendees to roughly what the TT currently brings in. As a result, this fabulous idea would probably reduce revenue to the tourism sector and the Island generally by a reported £8.3million and a loss to the Exchequer of £1.5 million. But at least dilligaf would see some more side cars and 2 strokes... worth it then.

13 minutes ago, joebean said:

This post typifies the attitude of some local motorcycle "enthusiasts" who think the TT and FoM exist, primarily, to give them a set of races that they find appealing. The reason both events exist is to support the Island's tourism sector and bring tourist money into the economy. That is what DfE, or whatever it is currently labelled, is required to do. Combining both events might produce one event that dilligaf likes but capacity issues in the accommodation sector and ferry operator will limit the number of attendees to roughly what the TT currently brings in. As a result, this fabulous idea would probably reduce revenue to the tourism sector and the Island generally by a reported £8.3million and a loss to the Exchequer of £1.5 million. But at least dilligaf would see some more side cars and 2 strokes... worth it then.

Don’t see the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, joebean said:

Put all this together and the notion of continual growth in our IOM motorcycle events looks flawed and the assumption that large investment in event facilities will reap returns is probably misplaced. Reliance on Motorcycle events to attract a significant numbers of visitors in the long-term would be unwise and some new strategies should be explored. I worry that the heritage focus of our current tourism offering will also be a reducing attraction and the sector will experience a double decline. Some imagination and alternative investment is required, and soon.

The trouble is that all the money over the last 30 plus years has gone into motorsport rather than trying to build a sustainable tourism industry.  Those running the Departments have seen it as being about providing stuff for themselves - they just assume everyone else wants the same stuff.  Three's no real attempt to develop new markets, just a blind belief that tourists were still obliged to come and if not, tourism was a dying industry anyway (despite it growing massively elsewhere) and there was nothing they could do about it.

I disagree about heritage though.  Organisations like the National Trust are bigger than ever, it's just that the Department has never done much to market it either.  MNH do what they can, but don't have the budget - indeed they seem to be the only people doing anything about non-motorsport stuff.  Apart from all this ridiculous chasing after cruise business which every sensible destination is trying to reduce not increase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

MNH do what they can, but don't have the budget - indeed they seem to be the only people doing anything about non-motorsport stuff.  

Apart from replacing the folk life display with more bloody motorbike stuff of course.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble is that all the money over the last 30 plus years has gone into motorsport rather than trying to build a sustainable tourism industry.  Those running the Departments have seen it as being about providing stuff for themselves - they just assume everyone else wants the same stuff.  Three's no real attempt to develop new markets, just a blind belief that tourists were still obliged to come and if not, tourism was a dying industry anyway (despite it growing massively elsewhere) and there was nothing they could do about it.

I disagree about heritage though.  Organisations like the National Trust are bigger than ever, it's just that the Department has never done much to market it either.  MNH do what they can, but don't have the budget - indeed they seem to be the only people doing anything about non-motorsport stuff.  Apart from all this ridiculous chasing after cruise business which every sensible destination is trying to reduce not increase. 

Only thing in your I would argue with is your view that “ motorsport “ gets all the funding. 

The two wheeled side does yes, but they have virtually killed off rallying and even stifled Dereks events or future ones.

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble is that all the money over the last 30 plus years has gone into motorsport rather than trying to build a sustainable tourism industry. 

Motorsport and the railways. 

We should open Tynwald up as a heritage attraction. A few dusty, lifeless mannequins in period dress standing there in a display harking back to a long-outdated system of inefficient, change-intransigent and undemocratic Govt.

Wouldn't cost much.

The whole heritage shenanigans is the peak of a wave. It will start to fall in coming years. The island needs to look for the next market before it takes off. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Apart from replacing the folk life display with more bloody motorbike stuff of course.

Well I did think of mentioning that because it indicates the obsession that they have and now the DfE have some control over the Museum it's been forced on them as well.

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Only thing in your I would argue with is your view that “ motorsport “ gets all the funding. 

The two wheeled side does yes, but they have virtually killed off rallying and even stifled Dereks events or future ones.

I was speaking historically, but you're right that in recent years anything that they don't control gets killed off if they can - presumably because they feel threatened by anyone else's success demonstrating that there is another way than their own.

8 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Motorsport and the railways. 

The main point of the railways and trams to Longworth and co is spending money though - they clearly have no actual interest in actually running them properly or even expecting people to come and see them.

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m involved in organizing two car events in May. In both cases we’ve handed rooms back. Interest significantly down on previous visits. 

Very strange.

Derek, is it possible for you to obtain any feedback from non-returning previous participants as to their reasons? No names, no drill naturally, but it might help you to plan for future events and support any representations you might make to IoMG?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well I did think of mentioning that because it indicates the obsession that they have and now the DfE have some control over the Museum it's been forced on them as well.

Now that MNH is a Charity, do the DoE have any control over them????

Is it not the Trustees and management that are now calling the shots?

Of course, they will still need Treasury subsidy and for that, they may need DoE support but I can imagine the the Treasury will be trying to reduce their input into MNH, hoping that MNH have sought sponsorship from private industry to subsidise them through the next few years!!!

I'm not sure they have?

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Now that MNH is a Charity, do the DoE have any control over them????

Is it not the Trustees and management that are now calling the shots?

In theory yes, but in practice the DfE is the 'sponsoring department' which means they speak for them in Tynwald and more important in CoMin and CEO meetings etc.  So the DfE can control what actually gets decided centrally and present them with whatever result they want.  It's no secret for example that they didn't want to take over the Old Police Station in Castletown, but they were forced to and I can think of other micro-managing from politicians and civil servants in the past.  There's also control of the budget and who get chosen as Trustees as well.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

There's less money for two wheeled sport recently too, with plans to cut further, so perhaps it's a general thing? 

• Sad 1