Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

TT and FoM figures positive

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's less money for two wheeled sport recently too, with plans to cut further, so perhaps it's a general thing? 

Any expansion on that Max? Genuine question

On 2/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, dilligaf said:

As NB says, the place was dead by former standards and has not been busy for years. All done by surveys where people often lie or exaggerate somewhat

Pretty sure people tell the truth in surveys 100%, like they do in the Manx Radio Rajar one where they get a cheeky fiver, to get them to listen.

Or perhaps people commission surveys to justify what they were going to do anyway, I don't know perhaps we could poll opinion and get Chris Boring Thomas to start a thread about it that was not just a desperate re-election thread but a real national conversation you know because politicians don't exaggerate,  governments don't lie etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Derek, is it possible for you to obtain any feedback from non-returning previous participants as to their reasons? No names, no drill naturally, but it might help you to plan for future events and support any representations you might make to IoMG?

I think most are just bored with the offering. Porsche Club has brought over an average of 35 cars each May for the last 20 years. S9 have done about 40 for the last decade. Other motoring offerings are now proving more of a draw. 

I’m only involved with these on a legacy basis. I don’t make any money from them and am involved simply for the good of the Island. Unfortunately the DOI kyboshed the growth of the high end cost, road closure market for me so forgive me if I’m a little reluctant to go out and do market research for govt. 

im hoping this Festival Of Motoring will prove a success. Seems reasonably priced and has a good tour operator behind it. I believe that DFE has been all over them.

• Thanks 1

so how many million bikers are coming to TT (  am i allowed to type that ? )   this year ?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, WTF said:

so how many million bikers are coming to TT (  am i allowed to type that ? )   this year ?

Laurence reliably states that there'll be a Department-justifying annual increase in people, their bikes and their pets for 2020.

In fact, the number of migrant boats crossing the Med will be dwarfed by the number crossing from the Fylde coastline in May and August. Further to that, most of those crossing the Med will actually be TT visitors as well, such is their devotion to the event and response to the DfE advertising campaign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just heard Rob C on the radio explaining that it was just a typo, so the FOM didn’t see a 5.1 % increase, but a 2.5%. Who’d have guessed ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Just heard Rob C on the radio explaining that it was just a typo, so the FOM didn’t see a 5.1 % increase, but a 2.5%. Who’d have guessed ?

If it turns out to be a further typo and it's 5.1% decrease I'll believe it.

• Like 4

Agree with non believer definitely not the number of people over for the classic TT hardly any around course on the Saturday and all the Grandstands were virtually empty wonder where all these people were  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Irongate said:

Agree with non believer definitely not the number of people over for the classic TT hardly any around course on the Saturday and all the Grandstands were virtually empty wonder where all these people were  

Firmly in somebody's imagination!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Always wonder how it takes then so long to come up with these numbers ??!!! 

They have to be "adjusted" to allow for variations in sampling sizes and methods and demographics.

And that there were far fewer visitors IMHO on observation. If the numbers had been massively, realistically up, the figures would have been out in October last. Shouted from on high.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Holte End said:

All they now need is a plague of frogs or locusts and it’s the perfect excuse. It must have been so mentally challenging massaging this years figures that they’ve realized that next years actuals can’t possibly show any upside on this years made up numbers so they’re getting the excuses in early. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At least it won't be because of the increasingly restricted areas.the memorial lap to celebrate the dead on mad Sunday (police obviously were going to jump at that opportunity),the increase in fares,the overpriced grandstands,the lack of marshals at the beginning,visitors dying of old age or the jelly known as the C.O.C. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

All they now need is a plague of frogs or locusts and it’s the perfect excuse. It must have been so mentally challenging massaging this years figures that they’ve realized that next years actuals can’t possibly show any upside on this years made up numbers so they’re getting the excuses in early. 

That was my first thought as well. I wonder if the IOMSPCo bookings are looking iffy?

• Like 2