Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Neil Down

Mobiles

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But as I pointed out above, this change is also so the can enforce existing rules as well as stopping drivers doing things that weren't covered by the original regulations which were introduced pre-smartphone.  And according to the Chief Constable's Report 96 people were prosecuted in 2018-19 for 'Use of mobile phone whilst driving', so you can't really claim they're not enforcing it at all.

Sit at any bus stop or junction and you will see more than that using their phones. Woodbourne Road by the Masonic Hall is a hot bed for phone use

• Like 1

Just check out any white van....

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:14 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But as I pointed out above, this change is also so the can enforce existing rules as well as stopping drivers doing things that weren't covered by the original regulations which were introduced pre-smartphone.  And according to the Chief Constable's Report 96 people were prosecuted in 2018-19 for 'Use of mobile phone whilst driving', so you can't really claim they're not enforcing it at all.

They could catch 96 within a week if they really wanted to.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

QB roundabout - more than you could count

Brown Bobby junction - again, more than you could count

Promenade - you get the picture by now

On 2/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Yes, it's just bringing the Island in line with the UK. Tynwald rarely do anything without someone having done it first. 

The IOM banned mobile phone use before the UK

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The IOM banned mobile phone use before the UK

They did but the UK have updated their legislation and the Isle of Man have not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I'm sure they could, but how?  You need to provide proof after all - I suspect at the moment people are mainly being caught by accident: a police office happens to see them chatting or texting/messaging or they are involved in some sort of incident.  Presumably you could do something with cameras at likely spots like the Quarterbridge but even then there would be high overheads in monitoring the footage and you'd need to have the right angle on the cameras to get the proof.  And you's still only be looking at a tiny (and known) percentage of the roads.

That's before everyone suddenly gets indignant about their human rights at being monitored by the State[1].  We don't even have speed cameras here - and those would be a much easier way of catching those who break the law.

[1]  Usually these will be the sort of people who regard any talk of human rights as 'political correctness gone mad' but suddenly discover them when it comes to their being allowed to do what they want without any consequences.

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm sure they could, but how?  

Good question, there is no exact answer other than trying other ways of catching people, it would be somewhat trial and error.

I’ve seen a HGV tractor unit used across with two police officers in it, they drive alongside with the camera pointing towards the lower down cars, much easier to catch the phones in the laps etc. We don’t have Dual carriageways or motorways to take full advantage of this but it could be used at numerous junctions that have 2 or more lanes. Perhaps a undercover police motorcycle filtering through traffic could capture mobile phone use with a head cam or similar? Peel rd/ QB/ Bray Hill between 8/9am being a particular hot spot.

I saw a HGV driver with their phone glued to their ear yesterday, truth be told it’s probably on my dash cam but I don’t want to be one of those dash cam wankers that reports everything. If there was a way to issue a warning rather than prosecution I’d be tempted.

Edited by Annoymouse

I saw a video clip a while ago from a uk city, maybe Birmingham, where a couple of officers got on the bus and filmed people doing it and their number plates, with the intention of posting out fines. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:30 PM, Neil Down said:

Sit at any bus stop or junction and you will see more than that using their phones. Woodbourne Road by the Masonic Hall is a hot bed for phone use

That's where the Sure 5G aerial is

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I saw a video clip a while ago from a uk city, maybe Birmingham, where a couple of officers got on the bus and filmed people doing it and their number plates, with the intention of posting out fines. 

Cracking idea to be fair and ideal for around town, a relatively low cost option too.

16 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Cracking idea to be fair and ideal for around town, a relatively low cost option too.

Have you seen our bus fares!