Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

ScooterGate

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Wheelchair = genuinely disabled = allowed on the bus

Mobility scooter = lazy = not allowed on the bus

Simple

There's a guy does a pub crawl around Douglas on a scooter. Sounds like a good idea to me. I 'm perfectly able except after a dozen or so. A scooter might be just the ticket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UK bus companies have similar issues, it's only the small collapsible disabled scooters which most allow, at the driver's discretion. This isn't Bus Vannin being arsey, I think it's more about Mr Corkish wanting to be heard, right or wrong? Imagine an outing of five or six disabled scooter lovers trying to get on board?

Bus manufacturers should perhaps help their customers to help disabled people? 

Eric C's being stymied in his bid to help the environment and save the planet from terminal climate change by using public transport. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

I bet the mobility scooter was put in the aircraft hold and that he was taken on under the mobility assistance arrangements at the airports.   Can't imagine getting one of them onto an aircraft.

Wouldn't be allowed.

No doubt the next step of this will be Mr Miggins* who lives in the arse-end of nowhere* (Jurby for example) will have a local bus stop that doesn't have an adequate pavement or safe area to load the scooter on/off the bus. He will then claim discrimination against Bus Vannin for not providing a suitable hard standing at his  local bus stop for local people.

*names and locations have been changed to protect identities

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sort of leaves a person wondering as to what would happen 'IF' the Post Office is knocked on the head in Ballasalla and the nearest one is Castletown, then would people like him have problems cashing pension/benefits/whatever?

I am so reassured that Mr Thomas is dealing with it  :unsure:

• Confused 1

Disregarding the ins and outs of the situation it was quite an arsey response from Moorehouse, putting people in danger for goodness sake it is quite easy to reject someone’s request or answer a letter with out this superiority attitude which most MHKs affect after being in Tynwald for a few years.    Just pointing out any impracticality of the matter in hand a a bit of sympathy to someone with only one leg may have been the way to go.   There is more than one way to say no and it can be firm and polite.   Moorehouse is getting a right roasting on FB regarding this and I am not surprised.

58 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

No doubt the next step of this will be Mr Miggins* who lives in the arse-end of nowhere* (Jurby for example) will have a local bus stop that doesn't have an adequate pavement or safe area to load the scooter on/off the bus. He will then claim discrimination against Bus Vannin for not providing a suitable hard standing at his  local bus stop for local people.

*names and locations have been changed to protect identities

Don't be daft. Buses don't go to Jurby. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Declan said:

Don't be daft. Buses don't go to Jurby. 

They do, they just don't come back... :shuriken:

• Haha 1

It would seem to be about restraint for the mobility scooters, however, i don`t think the buses have any seat belts, so no one is restraint.

• Like 1

Totally unreasonable request when other easier and more practical solutions are available. The 'Scootergate' should be closed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Totally unreasonable request when other easier and more practical solutions are available. The 'Scootergate' should be closed.

You mean " More practical solutions" You mean something along the lines of the "italian job" the scooters catch up to a truck, and go up the ramp and stop ?