Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

ScooterGate

23 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I think Eric's being a bit of a twonk - the bus can't take his scooter because it can't be stowed properly, also how did he get to Douglas in the first place (he lives in Ramsey)?

In his Ferrari California of course.

20 hours ago, Declan said:

Has he tried getting the golf buggy on the bus?

It got stuck in one of the bunkers.

Actually I use the bus a lot and have seen some large, much bigger than the scooter that Eric has on the busses and the ones we have just lower the step.   It is just the DOI being pedantic and Moorehouse showing what a pompous jerk he is.

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Actually I use the bus a lot and have seen some large, much bigger than the scooter that Eric has on the busses and the ones we have just lower the step.   It is just the DOI being pedantic and Moorehouse showing what a pompous jerk he is.

Is that true?  I've seen some fairly hefty motorised wheelchairs on buses, but not mobility scooters, even comparatively small ones like that.  The Bus Vannin pages on this are fairly clear:

Travelling by Bus

Accessibility

Most of the Isle of Man’s buses are fitted with manual ramps, meaning you can get on and off easily. On board a dedicated wheelchair area with floor gripping, safety bars and seated push buttons with braille touch reading are also provided across many of the buses.

We welcome passengers in standard sized wheelchairs, provided these can be safely used and secured on the bus being boarded.

We are unable to carry mobility scooters because of their inconsistent manoeuvrability, irregular sizes, appropriate restraints and the problem of severe boarding and alighting gradients on a number of our routes. 

When the bus arrives at the bus stop you can ask the driver to lower the ramp to allow you to comfortably board. Please ask the driver if you require assistance.

Please reverse your wheelchair into the allocated area so that you are safely facing the back of the bus and apply the brakes.

Wheelchair users have priority use of the designated wheelchair space, since this is the only place in which they can travel safely. Non-wheelchair users, unlike wheelchair users, will normally have a choice about which part of the bus to sit or stand in. In addition the aisles must be kept clear at all times. Please Note: The driver has no power to force passengers to move and is reliant upon people’s goodwill.

(my bold italics). 

19 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I use the bus most evenings and have never seen a mobility scooter that size on the bus. I have seen them stop prams getting on when the pram section is full. You don't see them pushing their pram in front of the bus in protest...

Edited by Neil Down

I suppose it could be asked, if EC isn't allowed his mobility scooter on the bus, why doesn't he acquire a permitted type of wheelchair which would then allow him to make journeys?

• Like 1

Apologies I meant to say far bigger motorised wheelchairs that are larger than Eric’s scooter and I am sure weigh more .

I don’t think size is the issue. Wheelchairs are more stable, can be disabled, restrained in place, can be secured by the existing fittings, effectively once in place they become another seat. 

I agree it’s borderline with Eric’s actually assuming it is manoeuvrable in the confined space, perhaps it is the absence of a means of fixing the vehicle (and the passenger on the vehicle) in place? Is there a uniformity of design, so if they fit straps to secure Eric’s it will fit all. 

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

I don’t think size is the issue. Wheelchairs are more stable, can be disabled, restrained in place, can be secured by the existing fittings, effectively once in place they become another seat. 

I agree it’s borderline with Eric’s actually assuming it is manoeuvrable in the confined space, perhaps it is the absence of a means of fixing the vehicle (and the passenger on the vehicle) in place? Is there a uniformity of design, so if they fit straps to secure Eric’s it will fit all. 

It's size and shape in part but it also is to do with the principle.  If you let one mobility scooter on you either have to let them all on and most are pretty big.  Or you end up with complicated rules about what is and isn't allowed and drivers have spend ages measuring things up while being abused because the scooter owner is sure they are entitled to bring it on.  In the end mobility scooters are vehicles and buses are meant for passengers.

4 hours ago, Declan said:

wheel chairs are generally like tanks in that they can spin on their own axis,  maybe eric has one of those scooters that steers like a car and needs to do a 20 point turn on a bus to face the other way?  in which case i can see why they won't allow them.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

You are right Declan about that wheelchairs can be restrained in place but they do not get restrained  on the busses they just come on the bus ,park ,and put the chairs brakes on.

8 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think you’re right there. All over the UK disabled people get moved around on public transport with little problem. Except here. Because here it’s all about making things easy for the people who work for the bus company and not about providing any form of public service to disabled service users. Even though the disability act makes it crystal clear that you should. 

4 hours ago, WTF said:

wheel chairs are generally like tanks in that they can spin on their own axis,  maybe eric has one of those scooters that steers like a car and needs to do a 20 point turn on a bus to face the other way?  in which case i can see why they won't allow them.

Correct. I can’t understand why they won’t allow my Peel car on the bus. It fits through the doors, just like Eric’s does. It just blocks the aisle, like Eric’s does and is a massive hazard should the bus need evacuating or is involved in an accident and wipes out half the passengers.( just like Eric’s does). What it the actual problem here ? ( apart from common sense, that Eric does not appear to have much of). A shame really, because Eric has much to offer on sites like Manx Nostalgia and the like. Just badly aimed his gripe this time.

Edited by dilligaf

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think you’re right there. All over the UK disabled people get moved around on public transport with little problem. Except here. Because here it’s all about making things easy for the people who work for the bus company and not about providing any form of public service to disabled service users. Even though the disability act makes it crystal clear that you should. 

The buses barely manage to accommodate prams and wheelchairs

Wheelchairs or scooters do not block the aisle there are spaces for them Dilli, just shows how much you use the bus.