Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Whatnonsence

Prescription Drug Changes.

Has anyone received a letter informing them that the repeat drug they are prescribed has changed to another.

I have Type 2 Diabetes the drug prescribed to control the problem has been changed by the Dept of Health.

I would imagine that certain drug manufacturers have put their prices up and in response the NHS or DHSC has sought the same drug from alternative manufacturers at a lower price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I would imagine that certain drug manufacturers have put their prices up and in response the NHS or DHSC has sought the same drug from alternative manufacturers at a lower price.

EBay rocks!

2 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

Has anyone received a letter informing them that the repeat drug they are prescribed has changed to another.

I have Type 2 Diabetes the drug prescribed to control the problem has been changed by the Dept of Health.

Blame Brexit. Generic replacements for now hard to source branded drugs. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

Yes. Replacement for metformin. 1000mg twice a day rather than 2x500 twice a day metformin. 

10 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Yes. Replacement for metformin. 1000mg twice a day rather than 2x500 twice a day metformin. 

Can you imagine how angry the world will be when HRT runs out on Wednesday? Brexit! 

• Haha 2

Farmers  Combine for Warfarin....

10 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Nothing is hard to source due to Brexit. Fake news. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, forestboy said:

That’s what has been recommended to me forestboy. 

10 hours ago, woolley said:

The problem is that not all replacements have equivalent efficacy to the original.

That is a concern for me in having to change to a new tablet is whether it works as the previous tablet have.

10 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s not Brexit but perhaps cost savings driving this? It’s odd that they seen to be trying to find savings through offering inferior generic drugs to people who have medical conditions rather than managing their staffing overheads and everything else properly. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

That is a concern for me in having to change to a new tablet is whether it works as the previous tablet have.

Yes. They certainly don't all do that. It's tricky because they might work for most patients, even 95% of patients, but we are all individuals and they might not work for you.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Amazing Ronrico said:

It’s not Brexit but perhaps cost savings driving this? It’s odd that they seen to be trying to find savings through offering inferior generic drugs to people who have medical conditions rather than managing their staffing overheads and everything else properly. 

Are generic drugs inferior. It’s the same formula, just not a brand name.

• Like 7