Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
woolley

Boat Fares 2020

The cost of the 5 day car + 2 break seems to have been jacked up a bit this year. Sure it was about £140 late last year in the off peak when we last did it. Just seen an ad for £198. That doesn't seem like a massive bargain! Not when last June we did a 5 day trip with Easyjet to Liverpool and Europcar hire for a good bit less. OK, I know I couldn't drive door to door, but I would have thought there might be a better deal than almost £200 return to sail.

I just searched a mid week return, car + 2, mid October 2020, £144. same as last year.

• Thanks 1

Just searched for our usual weekend break and it is showing up £20 cheaper than same time last year

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. I was looking at an ad in the Courier for £99 each way which didn't seem like anything to be shouting about. I am pleased to see that we can still do about £140 return at some periods. I think I would have featured this deal in the ad if I were them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, woolley said:

Thanks both. I was looking at an ad in the Courier for £99 each way which didn't seem like anything to be shouting about. I am pleased to see that we can still do about £140 return at some periods. I think I would have featured this deal in the ad if I were them. 

You have to read the *asterisked T&C. The £98 each way covers the period including Easter, earlyMay Bank Holiday/VE day and late May bank holiday periods, ie up to practice week. They aren’t advertising late season offers yet.

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You have to read the *asterisked T&C. The £98 each way covers the period including Easter, earlyMay Bank Holiday/VE day and late May bank holiday periods, ie up to practice week. They aren’t advertising late season offers yet.

OK. Fair enough for those holiday times, but it's expensive for other times in March/April. Maybe it always was.

5 hours ago, woolley said:

OK. Fair enough for those holiday times, but it's expensive for other times in March/April. Maybe it always was.

I’m not sure they have an algorithm but they (presumably), and I,  have a folk memory, going back 50 years, in my case, of spring sailings being in more demand, and more expensive than autumn.

I recall half price return legs being offered ( subsidised  by Tourist Board ) in September/October in the 1960’s, never in March April May.

There were lots of pre season events. Sports and drama festivals at Easter, plus university sports, Hockey, Rugby, Soccer,  early May, and sports and drama again at Whit. Then the. Music Festival with visiting choirs and brass bands. Plus, of course, car rallies, and much more. So the offers weren’t needed.

• Like 1

Try a few quotes before you commit to booking. 

The random number generator at the heart of their website just divides by another random number...

gna.gif

Edited by Albert Tatlock

I’d prefer to get the boat but it would have to be cheaper than flying for me to be interested and I cannot see that happening anytime soon. 4hrs on the boat + 4 hr drive to my destination or a 1 hour wait at airport, 1 hour flight and be within 30 mins of my destination.

A pity the Isle of Man can't implement something like Madeira where residents get a discount on travel to the mainland (Portugal).

45 minutes ago, IOMRS97 said:

A pity the Isle of Man can't implement something like Madeira where residents get a discount on travel to the mainland (Portugal).

Don't think the Calf has any residents?

• Haha 2