Isle of Pride

I read this article on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-pride-seeks-support/

Alround bigwigs passing around the ever increasing begging bowl. I can see Tynpotwald giving them sponsorship. Steam Packet? They sponsor everything on 2 wheels now, and they are the latest Government cash cow to squeeze - and very good they are too at squeezing customers!

in all honesty, perhaps the organisers should get advise from say Blackpool or Manchester Pride on how to gain sponsorship, and alienate the wider community, in their unholy rush to corporatise an event. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I read this article on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-pride-seeks-support/

Alround bigwigs passing around the ever increasing begging bowl. I can see Tynpotwald giving them sponsorship. Steam Packet? They sponsor everything on 2 wheels now, and they are the latest Government cash cow to squeeze - and very good they are too at squeezing customers!

in all honesty, perhaps the organisers should get advise from say Blackpool or Manchester Pride on how to gain sponsorship, and alienate the wider community, in their unholy rush to corporatise an event. 

As long as they give the same support and media hype to the Douglas/Peel/Ramsey/Castletown carnivals, there should be no problem

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'm not sure what point you're making. Other then the general rage at people doing stuff. 

+1

Pride events are supported by businesses up and down the country. Where I work we attend loads across the UK and are already working out how we support the IoM Pride event. It's a great way to engage colleagues and help support the local communities. In the UK you'll see offices decorated, lit up, rainbow flags flying. Should hopefully be the same here.

Instead of picking faults why not turn up this year? You'll feel less agitated by not getting your knickers in a twist about something that happens round the world every year and, heaven forbid, you might enjoy yourself! 

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

As long as they give the same support and media hype to the Douglas/Peel/Ramsey/Castletown carnivals, there should be no problem

I cant recall the Chief Minister having to make grovelling apologies to any Carnival organiser's for historical abuse of their basic equality and human rights recently.

• Like 1

Personally I just get the impression that some of our politicos are jumping on bandwagons, and using a big stick to beat the rest of society to get their way. What is the Isle of Pride? Are the aiming for a festival? Are they a pressure group?

If they want a carnival, then they can stick a few floats in the Corpy Carnival. Or is it to be a ‘gay pride’ float for Manx Utilities, the Treasury, DoI, Starship Enterprise and others. No doubt Steam Packet will have a float and sponsor the event? 

Perhaps Isle of Pride is a private company Or not for profit set up? If it goes tits up, are we as taxpayers liable? 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

They probably will when society stops being hetronormative. 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me. Most people don't give a hoot whether a person is gay or not as long as they are decent human beings. What gets on their wicks is the constant "look at me I'm gay and demand special treatment" of the minority gays. I know a lot of gay men and women and they don't harp on like some of the screaming queens

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me. Most people don't give a hoot whether a person is gay or not as long as they are decent human beings. What gets on their wicks is the constant "look at me I'm gay and demand special treatment" of the minority gays. I know a lot of gay men and women and they don't harp on like some of the screaming queens

I don't mind gay people at all, as long as they don't force it down my throat!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Quite. And this only perpetuates the otherism attaching to them that they claim to abhor. Just be a person. Just be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Well said.

I am of the impression that our politicos will favour the ideals and beliefs of one grouping in society and will no doubt move heaven and earth at the expense of others, maybe those vulnerable people in their constituency.

i just hope that a parade is off the menu, and if it is, I hope that the Police, DHA and DOI and other Government Goons mess the organisers around, like they did with Festival of Jurby, and the follow up plans for this year, which failed to come to fruition. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, woolley said:

Why would it?

It won’t. Society will always be hetronormative.

But that means each new gay kid has to go through the process of recognising his feelings are different from his peers. Accepting it for himself and “coming out” to others to some degree. Even with an encouraging family and friends (and not everyone has that) that’s a tricky journey at  the same time as all the other teenage shit is going on. 

By having events that say “hey we got through all that and here we are” it puts a positive narrative around that experience for the participants. And for the kids just beginning to realise their feelings are different it’s  a positive message - “you can get through this and come out stronger”. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2