Jump to content

Isle of Pride


2112
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

Your comments are quite amusing really and ignore the grinding poverty often experienced in the 1950s and 1960s here. You just think people bought houses for nothing and made shed loads of cash and then screwed over their grandchildren in the process. I’d guess what most people of that generation experienced isn't the same as working in Maccies and not being able to afford a new iPhone. It was literally having nothing and having to find ways to scrape an income out of almost nothing.

well facts are facts, yes grinding poverty but you all managed to buy houses, because they did not cost much,  I know people who bought a house for 5000 in the seventies on a government loan same house is now worth 500,000, they did not work harder or longer than todays young, but that is some opportunity, and yes they remortgaged and bought a few buy to lets to totally screw over the young, just so they could do a few cruises a year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

well facts are facts, yes grinding poverty but you all managed to buy houses, because they did not cost much,  I know people who bought a house for 5000 in the seventies on a government loan same house is now worth 500,000, they did not work harder or longer than todays young, but that is some opportunity, and yes they remortgaged and bought a few buy to lets to totally screw over the young, just so they could do a few cruises a year. 

One day you'' maybe post some evidence of these "facts" - you sure you weren't Woody in a previous life...😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

One day you'' maybe post some evidence of these "facts" - you sure you weren't Woody in a previous life...😏

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Bandits said:

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

What a load of tosh, I know people working 3 jobs to pay a huge rent, and save money for years towards a massive deposit that just keeps going out of reach and those are the ones that just have not given up so hopeless is the task. And you talk about handed on a plate, you really have no clue about the real world which is a trait of boomers,  you had the world handed on a plate, and yet all you do is moan about benefits whilst your poor health and feckless lifestyle choices are paid for from taxes from the working young. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

No there aren't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You can also lay the blame firmly at the feet of government. It is too easy to claim benefits these days. Yes there are familiies in genuine need but there a large number of people rinsing the system

As every Daily Mail / Express / Sun / Telegraph reader knows those on benefits are lazy, workshy, scroungers who are claiming due to deliberate lifestyle choices like being born into poverty....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

HiVibes view is just plain spiteful. This generation don’t want to work for anything. They just want it on a plate. Why can’t I have the free houses by grandparents bought? Only it wasn’t free they were earning a few quid a week and the £5000 they borrowed was a huge sum. Most people want to work hard to better the pathway their parents took. Not to sit there with their hand out claiming they’ve been ripped off and where my free stuff. 

I don't know anyone who wants everything for nothing.

I do know people who want to be fairly compensated for the work they produce, but they're not. I know people who would like to receive decent public services for the taxes they pay, but they're not. I know people who'd like to be able to own their house on two professional incomes, but they can't. I know people who would like to be able to have one parent stay at home with the kids, like many of their own parents and grandparents did, but they can't afford to keep the lights on if they do. And these situations are deteriorating, not improving. The cost of living is nuts and getting worse. House prices are nuts and getting worse. Pay is now getting worse in real terms due to inflation.

Perhaps some of the ire towards boomers is that many of them, when these points are raised, won't offer suggestions or vote for candidates who want to do something about it, they'll instead just shout "You're all snowflakes, I had to walk to school and back and it was uphill both ways and there was frost on the inside of the windows."

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't know anyone who wants everything for nothing.

I do know people who want to be fairly compensated for the work they produce, but they're not. I know people who would like to receive decent public services for the taxes they pay, but they're not. I know people who'd like to be able to own their house on two professional incomes, but they can't. I know people who would like to be able to have one parent stay at home with the kids, like many of their own parents and grandparents did, but they can't afford to keep the lights on if they do. And these situations are deteriorating, not improving. The cost of living is nuts and getting worse. House prices are nuts and getting worse. Pay is now getting worse in real terms due to inflation.

Perhaps some of the ire towards boomers is that many of them, when these points are raised, won't offer suggestions or vote for candidates who want to do something about it, they'll instead just shout "You're all snowflakes, I had to walk to school and back and it was uphill both ways and there was frost on the inside of the windows."

And of course they did 'real work' lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As every Daily Mail / Express / Sun / Telegraph reader knows those on benefits are lazy, workshy, scroungers who are claiming due to deliberate lifestyle choices like being born into poverty....

Pretty much like Guardian readers like to twist things to suit themselves

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...