Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

World wide, the rate of recovery is starting to pass the infection rate. It is already on its way out. Interestingly, the uk approach seems to be working as it is dropping down the list. Switzerland is in big danger as loads of Italians fled there before the lockdown. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

This is the best website I have seen. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

It's an interesting paradox.  Both in the UK and here we have politicians running the country who seem to think that politics is all about 'presentation' (if you want to be unkind 'bullshitting').  Bu

Howard Quayle and his comms team need to take a long hard look at themselves into how they are handling this.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

be a good neighbour and pop round........

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

World wide, the rate of recovery is starting to pass the infection rate. It is already on its way out. Interestingly, the uk approach seems to be working as it is dropping down the list. Switzerland is in big danger as loads of Italians fled there before the lockdown. 

Lots of Italians work in Switzerland - Canton Tessin is Italian speaking, also lots work in tourism in general.

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Lol. That's not how this works 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Lol. That's not how this works 

Actually, it is. Once the rate of recovery overtakes the rate of infection, it is on its way out. COVID-19 is a bad cold. The elderly, inform and inactive are the ones at risk of death. People with poor hygiene are most at risk of infection. 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Actually, it is. Once the rate of recovery overtakes the rate of infection, it is on its way out. COVID-19 is a bad cold. The elderly, inform and inactive are the ones at risk of death. People with poor hygiene are most at risk of infection. 

Ok then Dr Cambon. Have you written to the WHO and told them they have got it wrong and to stop panicking?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, On The Bus said:

Ok then Dr Cambon. Have you written to the WHO and told them they have got it wrong and to stop panicking?

The WHO have explicitly told people to not panic but to take sensible precautions. Differing governments will have different ways in which they choose to deal with it due to differing factors. Italy have gone full on authoritarian and we have chosen to see if it burns itself out first. Neither are wrong, it's just the way the world works. 

UK epidemic peak ‘expected within fortnight’ as health chief warns many thousands to be infected across country, amid panic in Italian over soaring death toll

UK will see 'many thousands of people' contract coronavirus

The UK will see "many thousands of people" contract coronavirus, the deputy chief medical officer has told Sky's Kay Burley.Speaking to Sky's Kay Burley @ Breakfast, Dr Harries said: "We will have significant numbers in a way which I think the country is not used to... so large numbers of the population will become infected [with coronavirus] but because its a naïve population, nobody has got antibodies to this virus currently." Having said that, 99% of those will almost certainly get better and most people will have a really quite mild disease and will not need to be in hospital and can be managed very safely and appropriately at home."

on that basis I would think TT is now going to be cancelled,  Could you see the SPC able to clean the Ben or the Manannan well enough between crossings.  also would you like to be on one of the boats when it is full, with this virus about, I know I would not. Its bad enough when everybody is healthy, it would only take one to infect many more.

Edited by Manxman2000
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

The WHO have explicitly told people to not panic but to take sensible precautions. 

That's odd...I specifically remember them saying "Hope I die before I get old" and "Why don't you all fade away".

Hardly the type of organisation we should be supporting IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It will be cancelled the question is when ?   Spain is now feeling the effect spreading like mad.   Anyone cruising should be prepared to spend the entire holiday at sea as country by country cruise ships are forbidden to visit.

Can you imagine much it’s going to cost the SPC (ie, us) to refund every TT pre booked fare if the event is cancelled? It will literally cost them millions. 

14 minutes ago, The Amazing Ronrico said:

Can you imagine much it’s going to cost the SPC (ie, us) to refund every TT pre booked fare if the event is cancelled? It will literally cost them millions. 

Cancelling the event  is not the same as cancelling the ferry sailings.

• Like 1

the boats will still run - any cancellation of the event does not affect this, they only booked a crossing not attendance at the races - if the Govt blocks incoming passengers then possibly it could trigger some insurance claim.

• Like 1