Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

Cancelling the event  is not the same as cancelling the ferry sailings.

You’re seriously suggesting that people won’t cancel and demand their money back when a government shipping line is taking people to see a government staged motorcycle event? I would imagine the publicity in Motorcycling circles will be horrendous if IOMG didn’t hand refunds out for bookings taken to get people to a non-event it is responsible for. They won’t get people coming here ever again if they didn’t refund if the event doesn’t go ahead. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

It's an interesting paradox.  Both in the UK and here we have politicians running the country who seem to think that politics is all about 'presentation' (if you want to be unkind 'bullshitting').  Bu

Howard Quayle and his comms team need to take a long hard look at themselves into how they are handling this.

Posted Images

The govt (us) knew the risks when they (we) took over the ferry company. It was a joint decision.

We've known since foot-and-mouth that this sort of thing could happen.

ETA: let's hope nobody ever suggests anything really dumb - like owning an airline.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the Government the actual organiser ? - they can still come - it may be a good reason to think of running down the TT as like many I doubt the supposed gains to the Island's economy outweigh the significant costs, and any future boat to replace the Manannan will surely be more like the Ben which suggests that even current numbers won't be feasible.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, pongo said:

The govt (us) knew the risks when they (we) took over the ferry company. It was a joint decision.

We've known since foot-and-mouth that this sort of thing could happen.

ETA: let's hope nobody ever suggests anything really dumb - like owning an airline.

It won’t be seen like that by the public would be my guess. If they were bare faced enough to still take the money despite the event being cancelled it will probably be the last TT we’ll see as the whole Motorcycling community will just say screw the IOM it’s government are greedy bastards. It took our money even though the event was cancelled. For foot and mouth the SPC was a listed business owned by parties not connected to organizing or hosting the TT but that is no longer the case. People not coming will probably expect refunds from a government owned operator. Who is going to want to come here and self isolate in a tent for a week in a wet field watching nothing if the event doesn’t go ahead? 

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

People not coming will probably expect refunds from a government owned operator. Who is going to want to come here and self isolate in a tent for a week in a wet field watching nothing if the event doesn’t go ahead? 

That was sort of my assumption. Even if they allow people to change their booking at no cost who is going to want to come to the IOM outside of TT week? So the bookings would be bounced to next TT week pushing out cash flow on ticket sales by 12 months. Bahrain is doing this for the now cancelled (to the spectator) Bahrain GP but at least you can have a nice holiday in Bahrain at some other time if you bump your ticket free if charge. 

• Like 1

Seriously though Sultan. Everything isn't all about money. So what if we have to take it on the nose and give them their money back out of our taxes?

What would you do differently? The UK is a sovereign nation, it can print money which people accept. It can fund a crisis if necessary. Would you join Sultan?

Also - realistically I suspect that TT fans are more forgiving.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, pongo said:

Seriously though Sultan. Everything isn't all about money. So what if we have to take it on the nose and give them their money back out of our taxes?

What would you do differently? The UK is a sovereign nation, it can print money which people accept. It can fund a crisis if necessary. Would you join Sultan?

Also - realistically I suspect that TT fans are more forgiving.

:lol: You sound concerned as you know there’s a reasonable chance of it happening. 

And yes it is about money when people will have paid £500 or more to a government owned operator for voyages they might not be making. That’s what happens when you become a carrier. You become responsible for the people you carry. It’s the same as some of the airlines and cruise companies who are going to also experience big cash flow problems as a result of all of this due to refunds and re-bookings dramatically affecting cash flow.

Luftansa stock last 12 months 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/stocks/lufthansa-stock

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And yes it is about money when people will have paid £500 or more to a government owned operator for voyages they might not be making. 

It's funny you see it that way around. What I meant was - so what if we have to fund it? It won't kill us. And we will learn from our mistakes.

Deposit only TT bookings had to be paid for end of Feb...invoices were issued November. So it's possible a lot of people only made a deposit.

Difficult choice for many I imagine with all the uncertainty over Jan/Feb...committing the balance.

But cancellations and refunds seem available...at a charge.

https://www.steam-packet.com/termsandconditions

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You can only work for IOMG to trot that out. 

Don't be silly. Of course I don't.

But instead of ranting and getting over excited, why not just calmly explain what you think should happen and how it should be costed?

I'm guessing you don't want to apply to join the UK - or any other sovereign entity which has a significant economy and its own currency. And which can therefore weather almost any storm.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

But instead of ranting and getting over excited, why not just calmly explain what you think should happen and how it should be costed?

Ah yes claims of ranting. They always seem to start to undermine a perspective when unarguable points are made on here. No doubt if I apply any more logic to this matter claims of meltdowns will inevitably ensue too. These forums really are very predictable :lol: