Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

48 minutes ago, woolley said:

Everybody seems to park as close as possible to everything. Age no barrier. Even at the NSC, where theoretically they have gone to exercise their bodies, they will drive round and round to get a space near the entrance rather than go up the power station end which is often sparsely used. It's odd.

Also the dog walkers who drive up to gates to take their dog out for a run. They block easy access for the elderly/ cyclists etc. Thinking of the access road mainly but I guess there are lots of similar places.

Edited by De nada
sp
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

It's an interesting paradox.  Both in the UK and here we have politicians running the country who seem to think that politics is all about 'presentation' (if you want to be unkind 'bullshitting').  Bu

Howard Quayle and his comms team need to take a long hard look at themselves into how they are handling this.

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, woolley said:

Everybody seems to park as close as possible to everything. Age no barrier. Even at the NSC, where theoretically they have gone to exercise their bodies, they will drive round and round to get a space near the entrance rather than go up the power station end which is often sparsely used. It's odd.

The reason they do that is because they cannot drive in there! 

After the mess someone made of a beautiful E28 5 series I had on a car park, I’ve always parked tactically. I won’t leave anything on the car park at The Co-Op in Ramsey. It’s like the dodgems.

• Haha 1

Back to the TT, perhaps an option is to postpone it and combine it with the MGP? 

Marshalls would be coming for it anyway, The top TT riders are already here for the classics. Most of the same teams are here anyway. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Back to the TT, perhaps an option is to postpone it and combine it with the MGP? 

Marshalls would be coming for it anyway, The top TT riders are already here for the classics. Most of the same teams are here anyway. 

Who’s saying all this will be sorted by August?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, woolley said:

Or outside the front door of the pub on double yellow lines in fine weather and plenty of parking spaces less the 50 yards away.

27 minutes ago, Cambon said:

MGP will likely be called off too this year IMO...it's only 9 or 10 weeks after TT.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Some people won't be happy until we've cancelled the whole economy and we're sat alone in our houses eating tinned soup on the laptop.

Are you arguing that the whole world is over reacting? Or only that people on the IOM are over reacting?

The world economy is facing a disaster. That's out of our control but will hugely affect us. Against that backdrop the TT is an irrelevance.

Are you a medical professional?

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

All this talk about TT is academic really as the bottom line is there won't be anywhere near enough marshals to police the event. That's a fact as lots won't travel because of risk even if it's not called of officially. We struggle early on to get enough and lots are in senior years so it's a forgone conclusion really. Just damage limitation to make the most of a really bad situation. I would love the TT go ahead as love the atmosphere and the vibe it creates and of course the benefit to our economy which enables so many businesses break even or make some money. Either way it's going to bring untold damage to Island life and the people who enable us to live the life we do. This is not alarmist it's the truth . So many people here will be hit massively financially and mental health issues will go through the roof with worry about mortgages and resources to live on . And if there is a lock down ,which I think is likely sadly , it will bring untold sorrow to so many. People these days are not used to roughing it and doing without !! Just look at the panic buying already . When my personal situation changed so much because of medical issues it took probably 2 years to get used to very little income and deal with mental health issues that emerged . Self employed are going to be offered £79 a week and that could be all they have to live on ...Try it !!! I've done it and it's really tough. And what about the loads of new residents that have no right to benifits but will be stuck here ..it's a real emerging nightmare for so many ..

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

All this talk about TT is academic really as the bottom line is there won't be anywhere near enough marshals to police the event. That's a fact as lots won't travel because of risk even if it's not called of officially. We struggle early on to get enough and lots are in senior years so it's a forgone conclusion really. Just damage limitation to make the most of a really bad situation. I would love the TT go ahead as love th atmosphere and the vibe it creates and turn of course the benefit to our economy which enables so many businesses break even or make some money. Either way it's going to bring untold damage to Island life and the people who enable us to live the life we do. This is not alarmist it's the truth . So many people here will be hit massively financially and mental health issues will go through the roof with worry about mortgages and resources to live on . 

A tad OTT with the mental health bit there fella. A bit alarmist, not ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Don’t think he is. 

We are on the cusp of mass layoffs in hospitality and travel. Once we start to go into the delay phase, and we some social restrictions as per Spain and Italy, restaurants, bars and cafes will be empty. A lot of these businesses live week to week - and rely on the big cash injection TT gives them. 

Once the money dries up, they have nowhere to go beyond the benevolence of Government and their banks. Both entities will also be under stress too.

somthe bottom line is if you are watching your livelihood go down the tubes, with little hope of a viable resurrection any time soon, you are going to take a battering mentally. It depends on your own personal resilience at that point.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I really don't think so... lots of people are vulnerable these days due to many reasons. Business people struggling generally and looking to the TT to help them survive and pay there bills will easily suffer I know. Society these days puts so much expectation on people these days to attain a lifestyle. This if this virus lasts any sort of time will for sure bring emotional issues and lead to tipping many people into a bad place. I've been there and many will be tottering. We are a different animal than our parents were . Sadly I'm sure I'm right with my worry.. 

It's not only hospitality and travel which will be affected. Many other areas of the economy too. And certainly not only including those sectors which involve direct human to human contact on the IOM.

Edited by pongo
6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Don’t think he is. 

We are on the cusp of mass layoffs in hospitality and travel. Once we start to go into the delay phase, and we some social restrictions as per Spain and Italy, restaurants, bars and cafes will be empty. A lot of these businesses live week to week - and rely on the big cash injection TT gives them. 

Once the money dries up, they have nowhere to go beyond the benevolence of Government and their banks. Both entities will also be under stress too.

somthe bottom line is if you are watching your livelihood go down the tubes, with little hope of a viable resurrection any time soon, you are going to take a battering mentally. It depends on your own personal resilience at that point.

Totally correct ..unless you've been there or are tottering on the edge you really have no idea how little it takes to tip you over . And it's not just business owners as what about people they employ or intended too .. Watch the out of work numbers grow if what I suspect will have to happen actually does. Trust me I really don't want it to for so many reasons .

Edited by Numbnuts