Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I hope this a wake up call. Not only to our Government, but to the whole leisure industry. They have to learn very quickly and seriously, that they can not and indeed should not rely on one event to keep them afloat. Those Victorian days have gone. You have to make your own money now, not sit on the prom hoping people will throw long thousands at you having sailed here in their droves. This is 2020. Understand that , or give up.

I totally agree with you . They need to start thinking outside the box and be proactive rather than just dreaming up schemes and numbers without saying how they are going to achieve it ..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I did well that night working at Summerland for £36 a hour . Triple time ...but yes so much hype about the world ending then too !! 

Even the £12 per hour was good back then!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, woolley said:

No way is the TT going ahead. I think we can forget that right now. 

The TT can go ahead, Just nobody can come and watch it.

Could still be televised, the problem with DfE is they are useless tossers and can't think outside the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

Has he discovered why she still keeps on going out to 'work' yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holte End said:

Could still be televised, the problem with DfE is they are useless tossers and can't think outside the box.

Idiot.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Was Summerland even open then ? Maybe the Cave, but even that seems at odds to what I remember.

edit to add that nobody went out that night.

You know you could be right ..maybe it was the Villa by then...I worked at both venues. Sports staff at Summerland and bar staff when busy... got me thinking now...I def worked that night at one of them and at that rate .

Just now, Numbnuts said:

You know you could be right ..maybe it was the Villa by then...I worked at both venues. Sports staff at Summerland and bar staff when busy... got me thinking now...I def worked that night at one of them and at that rate .

It is an age thing.I can’t remember  either what was open then. I just know it was a fucking disaster for cab drivers and pubs.

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Was Summerland even open then ? Maybe the Cave, but even that seems at odds to what I remember.

edit to add that nobody went out that night.

I think Summerland closed around 2002, but then I could be miles out!

6 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Marshals !!! Willingness to travel and means to travel...lock down on social events and no people for concerts ..I could go on . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think Summerland closed around 2002, but then I could be miles out!

It was definitely open in 2001 as I was responsible for staging the Inter Island games Badminton event there . So maybe it was the Piazza level for New Year's Eve 1999   

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

It was definitely open in 2001 as I was responsible for staging the Inter Island games Badminton event there . So maybe it was the Piazza level for New Year's Eve 1999   

Such a massive loss to our nation was Summerland.  A great shame that our weak Government don’t have the balls to do something similar. Crazy situation. We have the NSC , but nothing on the scale of Summerland. 
We will however throw fucking millions at the TT death race to prop up our economy, because they can’t see passed it.

Well, the DfE seem to be confident that the TT is going ahead. Plans lodged for temporary "village" to accommodate 170 on the old Victoria Rd prison site, temporary accommodation blocks to be in place May 23 - June 7th. 3FM News. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, the DfE seem to be confident that the TT is going ahead. Plans lodged for temporary "village" to accommodate 170 on the old Victoria Rd prison site, temporary accommodation blocks to be in place May 23 - June 7th. 3FM News. 

I will do my very best to stop that.

FFS. What hold does Peter Duke have over this shamefully weak Government. For Christ’s sake his dad rode a bike. Big  deal. He also got caught playing away, but this is never mentioned.

Rock Paper Scissors Stone. Who said scissors ?

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1