Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

It's an interesting paradox.  Both in the UK and here we have politicians running the country who seem to think that politics is all about 'presentation' (if you want to be unkind 'bullshitting').  Bu

Howard Quayle and his comms team need to take a long hard look at themselves into how they are handling this.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I had something horrendous too, over Xmas and NY 2018. Symptoms as per Gettafa above. Festivities were the last thing on my mind at that time.

Never had anything like it before and certainly don't want it again. Again as above, if I had been older it would probably have seen me off, without a doubt. Took me weeks to be over it fully.

Me too. Laid me up for around 4 weeks in all. No appetite dry cough and fever big time which came and went over the timespan . Really bad boughts  of coughing which actually made me sick . Scary but I'm okay now but still cough lingering  I'm 66 and live alone so not good tbh .

Edited by Numbnuts
1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Why are people so hung up on testing. It's been stated many times by experts that these type of tests are notoriously difficult to pinpoint and throw up many false positives. You could test 100% of the population and not get an accurate reading.

The most important indicator is symptoms and if people are mature enough to recognise and make decisions on their own health and self isolate accordingly we'll get through it a lot smoother, instead of always looking for outside advice. In this nanny state and Facebook generation people have forgotten how to make sensible decisions themselves.

Because testing is the only way you know whether someone has it or not.  There are no particular symptoms that identify exclusively what someone has as COVID-19 - it could be a different viral infection or something else.  We also know that many people (especially younger ones) may have it and be able to pass it on with few obvious symptoms.  What is more testing does modify behaviour - if people know they have the virus the vast majority will do their best not to pass it on and will be warned what to expect if symptoms get worse.

But no test is 100% accurate.  Not only will there be some false positives  - but there ought to be.  This is because the more sensitive a test is the more likely it is to produce them - but if it is less sensitive there may be false negatives where people have the infection, but are not identified as such.  So the balance has to be towards more sensitivity.

• Like 1

Some sort of major excavations going on, on Peel foreshore this morning too...either more power cable work or a mass grave getting dug... :lol:

Testing seems to correlate with good outcomes in other countries (see S. Korea).

Testing would also allow people who have had it and recovered to go back to work and not have to worry about catching it.

But so far as I'm aware (by which I mean a friend told me), we're beholden to the UK testing labs, who are setting the criteria for tests. If we test people outside that criteria the lab simply won't process the results.

It was David Christian leader of Douglas Town council who made this crass statement cannot be sacked.   I heard this morning there is a confirmed case today, the person who told me is totally reliable, health worker.   Manx Radio forgot to mention this in the news.

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

It was David Christian leader of Douglas Town council who made this crass statement cannot be sacked.   I heard this morning there is a confirmed case today, the person who told me is totally reliable, health worker.   Manx Radio forgot to mention this in the news.

Manx Radio will not do it until it is confirmed by official sources. To do so otherwise would be to spark unnecessary panic. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, somewhatdamaged said:

Probably mentioned previously by someone, but i was absolutely flabbergasted that they made the announcement about extra staff being put on at the crematorium.  What a thing to send out! Surely someones head must roll over that?  What would pensioners think reading that announcement!!!!

The last few weeks I keep on seeing things on Manx Forums and thinking "Oh very satirical!" and then it turns out to be true.  This was one of those occasions.  I did wonder if the media had been distorting a passing remark or forced him to reply to a direct question, but if you listen to Christian's interview, he mentions the Crem not once but twice and with great pride - more than any other measure they are taking.  I think a press release has disappeared from the Council's website, so they must have realised he put his foot in it, but now it just looks like they have made no preparations at all.

All they really needed to do was to talk about "other public health measures" and "training back up staff for essential roles", but as usual the more people obsess over PR, the worse they are at it.

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A Brilliant leader - not only is he busy planning contingency and leading the capital - he still finds time to clean the Governors Hill bus shelter this morning - Awe inspiring

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I doubt that motor-mouth Christian has much political awareness outside of the gold-fish bowl of Douglas Borough Council. He's an old fashioned town politician and demagogue. Knows Douglas like he knows his own ass. This crass remark is no surprise.    

1 hour ago, somewhatdamaged said:

Probably mentioned previously by someone, but i was absolutely flabbergasted that they made the announcement about extra staff being put on at the crematorium.  What a thing to send out! Surely someones head must roll over that?  What would pensioners think reading that announcement!!!!

You're not from round here are you?

• Haha 4
28 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

A Brilliant leader - not only is he busy planning contingency and leading the capital - he still finds time to clean the Governors Hill bus shelter this morning - Awe inspiring

Probably invoices for £1k for that...

• Sad 1