Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

3 hours ago, hagar the horrible said:

What will happen with people who fly off island to work in the UK in helicopters on their return.

If they live in a mansion with a helipad they never leave their property anyway, so just the usual, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FDR said:

What makes you think it's Manx people and not British people? The latter are the majority of the population.

Selfishness is not a trait determined by nationality.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

Selfishness is not a trait determined by nationality.

FDR fails to understand that, though we hate to admit it, we Manx are still actually British Citizens

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Things move quickly. EU closing all boarders with non-EU countries for 30 days. 

They're just trying to feel involved and stay relevant. The individual countries have already beaten them to it by closing their borders even within Schengen.

Good move by the Steam Packet. They seem to be offering free transfers to TT 2021 on identical sailings (when those are up and running) should act as an incentive for those booked this year  to not travel. 

That's assuming this is all under control by May 2021. Some predictions have this as continuing for between 12 and 18 months so TT 2021 could realistically be in doubt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Good move by the Steam Packet. They seem to be offering free transfers to TT 2021 on identical sailings (when those are up and running) should act as an incentive for those booked this year  to not travel. 

That's assuming this is all under control by May 2021. Some predictions have this as continuing for between 12 and 18 months so TT 2021 could realistically be in doubt.

I would too if I were them. Better than shelling out for refunds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Did anyone clock Cannan writing on the back of his notes ,showing HQ and  then Quayle immediately finished the meeting ? Who's pulling the strings one asks ? 

4 hours ago, HeliX said:

"Wrap up Howzer, FFS. The Dominos order has arrived."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ashford comes best out of this media fest?

Why was Darbyshires microphone on low volume?

Cannans reading of a script did not do his CMs hopes much good, react and sock it to 'em Alf, don't just read out what your CS have written for you!!!

it is a very serious time but hru al thai intervue, one gets the feeling that WE are not being told the whole truth.

We don't want o know what will happen in the next week, two weeks, we will cope with those restricures, we want to know waht will happen in the next two months and they know what these problems are now! So, tell us!!!

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

ashford comes best out of this media fest?

Why was Darbyshires microphone on low volume?

Cannans reading of a script did not do his CMs hopes much good, react and sock it to 'em Alf, don't just read out what your CS have written for you!!!

it is a very serious time but hru al thai intervue, one gets the feeling that WE are not being told the whole truth.

We don't want o know what will happen in the next week, two weeks, we will cope with those restricures, we want to know waht will happen in the next two months and they know what these problems are now! So, tell us!!!

Ashford looked composed and Ministerial throughout. Actually quite impressed me.

Alf mumbled and seens to fluff his lines, as though he needs cue cards.

Skelly seemed to be there to make this look more important. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, On The Bus said:

MGP / whatever it's called will surely not run despite what the leather-fetish brigade may hope for, it could well be that TT 2021 doesn't run unless there's a vaccine as we don't build up an immunity.

• Like 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/anyone-caught-breaking-self-isolation-rules-will-be-prosecuted/

I fear the situation is now in panic mode.

What I haven't heard, is how many over seventy years olds  living on there own with no family are going to be looked after and how.

There appears to be too many rules on what you can't do, instead of what the Government should be doing.

Why did they shut down meals on wheels, wasn't it for a poxy hundred thousand pounds of funding.

Well done whoever that was.

• Like 1

Just now, Holte End said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/anyone-caught-breaking-self-isolation-rules-will-be-prosecuted/

What I haven't heard, is how many over seventy years olds  living on there own with no family are going to be looked after and how.

There appears to be too many rules on what you can't do, instead of what the Government should be doing.

Why did they shut down meals on wheels, wasn't it for a poxy hundred thousand pounds of funding.

I live in an area of Cornwall with many over 70s, we're looking after each other. The youngsters doing the shopping, collecting medicines etc.

In short the community is doing what it normally does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

The prosecution threat seems aimed at recent arrivals. I'm not sure they're planning to prosecute over-70s [just yet].

11 minutes ago, Holte End said:

What I haven't heard is how many over seventy year-olds living on their own, with no family, are going to be looked after and how? 

All of us possibly know someone in such a position, regardless of age. It's about vulnerability and what you can do for them. Governments cannot be responsible for everyone, time for the whole of society to become more inclusive and caring. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

All of us possibly know someone in such a position, regardless of age. It's about vulnerability and what you can do for them. Governments cannot be responsible for everyone, time for the whole of society to become more inclusive and caring. 

That's what we're good at, especially over here.

Up here in Ramsey and Andreas there's already people gone door to door to let the oldies know they're around if they need anything.

We're genuinely one of the better places to be for community support, though on the downside medical support will be a bit lacking if it does kick off. 

• Like 1