Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

1 hour ago, Declan said:

To be fair, it is not a "rule", it's a recommendation to minimise contact for the good of their health. 

when was the last time a government recommendation was worth listening to ?   the yellow snow one from 1876 ?

Edited by WTF
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With all this lock-down bollocks in the UK my friend is cooped up at home and has had to start talking to his wife. He’s just found out that she was made redundant by Woolworths.

It's an interesting paradox.  Both in the UK and here we have politicians running the country who seem to think that politics is all about 'presentation' (if you want to be unkind 'bullshitting').  Bu

Howard Quayle and his comms team need to take a long hard look at themselves into how they are handling this.

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How come we arent seeing Loganair, easy and BA cancel the flights to the Island from tomorrow given their customers will need to self isolate for 2 weeks or be prosecuted?

I'm hoping to get out of Portugal tomorrow and fly home to IOM on Thursday. No problem with two weeks self isolation. What's the alternative? Stuck in a foreign country for an unknown time. Hotels are closing, restaurants and cafes are shutting. Queues outside pharmacies and you have to get served through a gap in the door. 

5 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, David Ashford kept his cool well yesterday, but he did drop the ball at one point by suggesting social media vigilantes could report those who break the quarantine orders. I'm not sure that was a wise thing to say. Alf sounded a bit rattled and Howard was fast and fluid throughout. No sign of Chris Thomas or any medical experts. I hope we'll see them at the next press briefing.

Not sure why there were no doctors present but apparently DHSC CEO and Director of Public Health are both off-Island.

They might as well stay off Island for all the good they're doing. Just wearing the suit and taking the big bucks salary and pension. We've lost a week on this and are only now playing catch-up. I can't believe the schools are still open, with up to a thousand kids, plus staff, in our secondary schools, acting as multipliers and super-spreaders for the virus. It's probably too late now but they should be rethinking this policy as a matter of extreme urgency. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Not sure why there were no doctors present but apparently DHSC CEO and Director of Public Health are both off-Island.

Would they be getting the rules and regulations that the UK want us to comply with?

5 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes, David Ashford kept his cool well yesterday, but he did drop the ball at one point by suggesting social media vigilantes could report those who break the quarantine orders. I'm not sure that was a wise thing to say. Alf sounded a bit rattled and Howard was fast and fluid throughout. No sign of Chris Thomas or any medical experts. I hope we'll see them at the next press briefing.

I think you need to listen to his previous media appearances to understand thats his sense of humour. He's not suggesting that people report those breaking self-isolation, he's pointing out that those on Social Media here cant help themselves but to announce to the wider world what their neighbours are doing, and will report them. 

There are certain FB groups which, when read, sound like they should be called "Manx Curtain Twitchers" . Ashford uses social media far more effectively than his ministerial colleagues, so he seems to pick these things up before others.

42 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They might as well stay off Island for all the good they're doing. Just wearing the suit and taking the big bucks salary and pension. We've lost a week on this and are only now playing catch-up. I can't believe the schools are still open, with up to a thousand kids, plus staff, in our secondary schools, acting as multipliers and super-spreaders for the virus. It's probably too late now but they should be rethinking this policy as a matter of extreme urgency. 

The problem is if we shut the schools and hospital staff have to stay at home to look after children then who is going to care for the the people who catch this virus? It's easy for people who don't work to say close schools but on the flip side people need to keep a roof over there heads and that can't be done if we are all home looking after children. It's a tough situation 

Edited by madmanx90
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I thought I'd seen the pinnacle of facebook idiocy with the news and politics page but the coronavirus help page takes it to brand new levels.

It's properly atrocious isn't it. How are these people alive?! 

Edit: Actually, just checked today - it's not as bad as yesterday! There's still a lot of dumbness but it seems people are finally getting the message. 

Edited by Manxberry

Serious question time if that's possible LOL

I have holidays in the UK booked for early May incurring considerable expense already paid. Do I pull the plug now and argue with the insurance company and the Steam Packet or do I wait ?  just wondering if it will make any difference, not to me going obvs but to the view of holiday insurers ?

30 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

It's properly atrocious isn't it. How are these people alive?! 

Edit: Actually, just checked today - it's not as bad as yesterday! There's still a lot of dumbness but it seems people are finally getting the message. 

There just appears to be no common sense or being able to live your life unless you're instructed by the government 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

There just appears to be no common sense or being able to live your life unless you're instructed by the government 

Yup. Or even when the instructions are pretty clear they for some reason don't apply because your kids are only coming over for a week and therefore they can't quarantine for two weeks... :P 

• Like 1