Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

57 minutes ago, asitis said:

Thanks for the above just phoned the Steam Packet they are not refunding anyone after the end of April nor credit notes, so my sailing two days thereafter is still on ! Strange considering the Government have already cancelled TT ! What a mess !!

Their site says:

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/coronavirus?__SPCoWinID=4c09c12b-8600-4bb8-b88c-42fb55df1771

The Company has recently confirmed that amendment fees will be waived for the time being until 30 April to allow passengers to book alternative services later in the year.

Some passengers who have booked non-refundable special offers for travel in the shorter term may wish to cancel and obtain a refund and the Company will in these special circumstances consider written/email applications for a refund which will be processed in travel date order – for example March booking refund requests will be given priority over those for April and so on. 
Please email us at: IOM.Reservations@steam-packet.com

For the time being refunds will only be processed for passengers booked to travel in March or April. Bookings for May onwards will also be refunded if the Government travel restrictions continue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They might as well stay off Island for all the good they're doing. Just wearing the suit and taking the big bucks salary and pension. We've lost a week on this and are only now playing catch-up. I can't believe the schools are still open, with up to a thousand kids, plus staff, in our secondary schools, acting as multipliers and super-spreaders for the virus. It's probably too late now but they should be rethinking this policy as a matter of extreme urgency. 

Still no statement on those who are seventy and over who are classed as vulnerable.

Given planning on pandemics should be in place why the delay?

6 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Still no statement on those who are seventy and over who are classed as vulnerable.

Given planning on pandemics should be in place why the delay?

1. It’s a recommendation. Voluntary.

2. It’s social distancing. What more do you need, unless you’re running about like a headless chicken.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

2. It’s social distancing. What more do you need, unless you’re running about like a headless chicken.

Cheers John but what are the recommendations, they said this information would be forthcoming so where is it?

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Glib cunt

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Cheers John but what are the recommendations, they said this information would be forthcoming so where is it?

• Those aged 70 and over or pregnant or have underlying health conditions are strongly advised to take extra care to prevent the possibility of being infected. More guidance will be issued shortly

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Their site says:

https://www.steam-packet.com/information/coronavirus?__SPCoWinID=4c09c12b-8600-4bb8-b88c-42fb55df1771

The Company has recently confirmed that amendment fees will be waived for the time being until 30 April to allow passengers to book alternative services later in the year.

Some passengers who have booked non-refundable special offers for travel in the shorter term may wish to cancel and obtain a refund and the Company will in these special circumstances consider written/email applications for a refund which will be processed in travel date order – for example March booking refund requests will be given priority over those for April and so on. 
Please email us at: IOM.Reservations@steam-packet.com

For the time being refunds will only be processed for passengers booked to travel in March or April. Bookings for May onwards will also be refunded if the Government travel restrictions continue. 

I assumed the loss of TT meant the travel restrictions were continuing !

The whole thing is beginning to look like a farce. 

Went shopping this lunchtime to look to buy ingredients to make a lasagne.

first thing - 75 % of the customers in Shoprite and CoOp were over 70 or shuffling around with clear health conditions.

secondly. No pasta sheets. Not a problem, I’ll make pasta. No flour except midget bags. Put four in basket. 

Get to checkout. Can only have two. Trying to reason that I’m only buying it (a) because there is no dried pasta sheet, and (b) I need it to make one meal, and clearly the contents of my basket indicate that, and there are no big bags so I have leveled up with small ones.

Rules is rules. Two taken off me. 

Im sure it’s not too difficult to work out what I did after that paid and bid the cashier a cheery farewell.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

first thing - 75 % of the customers in Shoprite and CoOp were over 70 or shuffling around with clear health conditions.

secondly. No pasta sheets. Not a problem, I’ll make pasta. No flour except midget bags. Put four in basket. 

Get to checkout. Can only have two. Trying to reason that I’m only buying it (a) because there is no dried pasta sheet, and (b) I need it to make one meal, and clearly the contents of my basket indicate that, and there are no big bags so I have leveled up with small ones.

Im sure it’s not too difficult to work out what I did after that paid and bid the cashier a cheery farewell.

Scary living in the UK at the moment. Frankly frightening living here !!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Couldnt you halve the recipe though.The midget bags are well over a pound in weight each and 2 of them should give you enough pasta  for 5 or 6 people ?

PS: Not sure if you have a larger family or whether they have shrunk those bags..

I had the same issue with toilet rolls.

Took two packs of 4 rolls (total 8) which should be enough for us for a week and was told that it was one pack only.

Man in front of me was at the till with a 16 pack.and that was okay .

I do  not mind rationing to prevent panic buying but there should be some sense in it..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You're just humblebragging that you make your own lasagne. :P Though if you need 2 kg of flour you're having too many people round for dinner in the current circumstances.

But the whole point of rationing stuff is that there isn't much of it.  So if you're taking a lot of what is there, you're taking to much.  I'm sure that every one of those panickers  were just as convinced that they were only taking what they 'need'.

There's actually another point to be made here.  Not only are the hysterical hoarders emptying the shelves of a lot of essential items, the people who are worst hit will be those who are poorest and live in poorer areas[1].  They are the people most likely not to have much stock in their cupboards and have to rely on small, regular shopping trips to get by.  They also rely on cheaper products and it's clear, if for example you go round Tesco, it's the cheaper brands the hoarders have and are stuffing their trolleys with - own brands, not the luxury lines.  So even if there is food there, they will have to pay more for it.

[1]  When this started across,  it was noted that panic-buying began in the middle class areas.  As with Brexit, posh people do it and then blame the working class.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

you not having anything to cook with is probably doing more for public health than the lock down.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

you not having anything to cook with is probably doing more for public health than the lock down.

Harsh 

• Haha 2