Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

Well, prior to any other holiday cancellations such as the MGP, along with the rest of the summer's events and bookings, the reputational damage to the island is getting an airing.

Whilst a lot of this has to be retrievable through credit cards, travel insurance etc, should the likes of Best Western, the Ellan Vannin etc receive any government support in view of their 'kiss my ass' attitude?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2020/april/iom-tt-hotel-refund-coronavirus/

Edited by Max Power
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Well, prior to any other holiday cancellations such as the MGP, along with the rest of the summer's events and bookings, the reputational damage to the island is getting an airing.

Whilst a lot of this has to be retrievable through credit cards, travel insurance etc, should the likes of Best Western, the Ellan Vannin etc receive any government support in view of their 'kiss my ass' attitude?

No, absolutely not. You can't behave like that and expect help. The Ellan Vannin case sounds worse and worse any time I hear it mentioned. 

• Like 1

It's disgraceful but is probably a good indicator of how thin the margins are for some hotel operators. That deposit money has more than likely already been spent and doesn't exist any more to be refunded. Although that doesn't excuse the fact that these customers who are unable to attend the TT through no fault of their own are being refused a refund.

This is going to be a world of shit for some time and we don't need any more stains on our tourism reputation. DfE should be stepping in to resolve this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

IOM OFT Consumer Guidance - Accommodation Bookings in the IoM

https://www.gov.im/media/1369013/consumer-guidance-accommodation-bookings-in-the-iom.pdf

15 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

https://www.gov.im/media/1369013/consumer-guidance-accommodation-bookings-in-the-iom.pdf

A finer piece of non-committal fence-dwelling would be hard to find? The usual glossy OFT brochure that says and promises nothing.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

With bills in the £thousands for many of these people, that could be a very hefty price...£millions, especially when you apply it across many venues for the rest of the year.

And equally across the many customers who are losing their money, AT?  And at what cost to the reputation of IoM Tourism PLC too? 

Interesting article on the news the other evening too, about a number of UK businesses who are taking an insurer (Hiscock's) to court over their refusal to pay out for loss of business caused by an outbreak of sickness; Hiscock's apparently claiming that a pandemic doesn't count :lol:

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, absolutely not. You can't behave like that and expect help. The Ellan Vannin case sounds worse and worse any time I hear it mentioned. 

On tripadvisor,an Australian woman has said she paid the GB pound equivalent of £3372 for 5 nights at the 2020 TT at the Ellan Vannin ,and has been told no refund.I would expect my name on the hotels title deeds for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

On tripadvisor,an Australian woman has said she paid the GB pound equivalent of £3372 for 5 nights at the 2020 TT at the Ellan Vannin ,and has been told no refund.I would expect my name on the hotels title deeds for that.

See? that's worse than the last thing i've heard. Wonder whats next?

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Wonder what success in the IOM small claims court they would achieve

Certainly the other way round it is next to impossible for an IOM business to enforce a small claim in UK courts at anything like reasonable cost

1 hour ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Does the Ellan Vannin have a luxury penthouse suite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It's disgraceful but is probably a good indicator of how thin the margins are for some hotel operators. That deposit money has more than likely already been spent and doesn't exist any more to be refunded. Although that doesn't excuse the fact that these customers who are unable to attend the TT through no fault of their own are being refused a refund.

This is going to be a world of shit for some time and we don't need any more stains on our tourism reputation. DfE should be stepping in to resolve this.

Agreed, they could at least make any support conditional on offering to honour the booking at the next TT. After all, they have not had the costs involved with putting these people up! Any refusal should be met with a withdrawal of support in the future too!

2 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

It’s appalling publicity for the IOM. Those reviews will be up forever. Business owners need to accept that. 

• Like 1