Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's disgraceful but is probably a good indicator of how thin the margins are for some hotel operators. That deposit money has more than likely already been spent and doesn't exist any more to be refunded.

How does that fit in with the general assumption that the money earned by hospitality during the TT period carries them through the winter?

And they now working a year in arrears?

Pretty poor show tho. And now the MCN has got hold of it it won't do us any good at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

How does that fit in with the general assumption that the money earned by hospitality during the TT period carries them through the winter?

Because the deposits that they can't/won't now refund have just been part of what carried them through the last winter?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Frances said:

I suspect the introduction of a policed all Island 40mph speed limit with substantial penalties will put off even more - the speed limit will I suspect remain post covid on the grounds of 'Think of the children'

Not sure about 40 but it's not difficult to see a 50 or 60 as a permanent fixture. They've had a month's ammunition now, notwithstanding the actual reduction of traffic on the road, but that'll be ignored.

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

See? that's worse than the last thing i've heard. Wonder whats next?

How many rooms do they have 20+. How many deposits have they taken and now essentially stealing from people who cannot attend the TT through no fault of their own

11 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

How many rooms do they have 20+. How many deposits have they taken and now essentially stealing from people who cannot attend the TT through no fault of their own

The whole world is doing this though.  I should be in Australia now.  I didn't get as far as booking any accommodation there thankfully, but so far I've seen nothing back from the £2500+ I've shelled out on flights, despite the fact that the airlines cancelled them.  I'll probably get something back from somebody at some stage (airline, credit card or insurance) but nobody's falling over themselves to return fares and bookings as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The whole world is doing this though.  I should be in Australia now.  I didn't get as far as booking any accommodation there thankfully, but so far I've seen nothing back from the £2500+ I've shelled out on flights, despite the fact that the airlines cancelled them.  I'll probably get something back from somebody at some stage (airline, credit card or insurance) but nobody's falling over themselves to return fares and bookings as far as I can tell.

Yes, you're right wrighty, but we do depend on repeat visitors year after year which is a weakness in our strategy. This just leaves a sour taste and people will vote with their feet, even if they would have got the same treatment elsewhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

50 would match the un-engineered roads we have perfectly.

I have noticed a 5mpg improvement in my cars fuel consumption since the 40 was brought in so good for the environment too!

I have noticed a 17mpg improvement that shows you how I drive. Get the speed restrictions lifted and back to normal as soon as its safe to do so. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

Accommodation has typically been refunded. Flights not.

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’ve always booked accommodation on the fully cancellable pay when you arrive basis. But flights and boats are another thing.

Ive been refunded for all but one of 9 flights due to be flown in April. All easyjet. The final one is pending and was end of the month. 

Strangely, I’ve not had refunds for two storm Dennis disrupted flights in. February.

Next issue is a road and ferry trip 17/5 to 17/6, car, motorbike, 2 of us and the dogs. I’m under no illusion that it will happen. Steam Packet will cancel and refund. Brittany Ferries took £1200 balance on 3rd April and their fleet isn’t operating any passenger sailings until 15 May.

I don’t think they’ll operate then, and,  even if they do, I couldn’t land in Spain on 18/5 without various papers, residencia, empadramento, copy title deeds. But of course the de escalation in Spain may change by then. They have a six stage plan. The last step is cross border travel.

Fortunately I’ve insurance and card protection. But it’s frustrating having to wait until a few days beforehand Before you know which option.

Speed limits. Hmmmm!

The derestricted zone is the big elephant in the room. It is the anomaly in our national road safety strategy and only remains because of ‘our culture’ (see page 14). 

40 is not the right limit. Whether a return to where we were is the right thing remains a subject of much vigorous debate.