Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

At one time I used to drive all over Europe. The Spanish roads were my favourites. Almost empty, huge, and through the best scenery. I used to make up time elsewhere so I could cruise at 40kms an hour, sometimes for the whole day. It did my mental health the world of good and I arrived at my destination calm, refreshed and upbeat. It’s amazing what you can get used to. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

Accommodation has typically been refunded. Flights not.

Is that correct?

Neither flights nor accommodation have to refund because an event is cancelled and the passenger/guest wants to cancel.

If however travel is banned, carrier cancels, or hotel cancels then they have to.

My experience is that carriers are only confirming cancellation a few days before travel date. That’s the triggering event for a refund. Most of the complaints I’ve seen are about passengers wanting refunds in June, July and August. In other words passenger/guest wants to cancel, voluntarily. 

Ryanair just announced cancellation of entire timetable to 9 July.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Is that correct?

Neither flights nor accommodation have to refund because an event is cancelled and the passenger/guest wants to cancel.

If however travel is banned, carrier cancels, or hotel cancels then they have to.

My experience is that carriers are only confirming cancellation a few days before travel date. That’s the triggering event for a refund. Most of the complaints I’ve seen are about passengers wanting refunds in June, July and August. In other words passenger/guest wants to cancel, voluntarily. 

Nail hit firmly on head

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Is that correct?

It's my experience. And the experience of everyone I know who had flights booked with easyJet. At best they have offered vouchers. You were lucky. Perhaps you have special powers.

Accommodation was all refunded almost immediately.

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's my experience. And the experience of everyone I know who had flights booked with easyJet. At best they have offered vouchers. You were lucky. Perhaps you have special powers.

Accommodation was all refunded almost immediately.

You were always entitled to a refund, but you’re right, for the first couple of weeks they didn’t offer it in their cancellation e-mail or on the first web page you landed on. In fact they withdrew the online refund process option from the manage booking/flight disruption section of their web site.

So you had to phone, and wait for hours, or write ( post) but the on line option is now up and running and working, has been for two weeks. They’re dealing/processing claims in date order of flights not date order of claim received.

Unfortunately if you’ve accepted a voucher you can’t now elect a refund.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/refund-form 

No special powers. I took a view. I didn’t want a voucher or a rebooking that might be worthless if the carrier went bust.  I’ve got trips, events, travel booked to March 2021. But I’m waiting before I book anything else.

Thanks for the useful information @John Wright

I'm not annoyed with easyJet. It's not their fault and I want them to survive this crisis in some form. It's a great company. Family, friends and colleagues have said similar fwiw.

I hope I did not sound mean or snarky - or imply privilege when writing "special powers". Only your lawyer skilz.. 

Edited by pongo
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, pongo said:

Thanks for the useful information @John Wright

I'm not annoyed with easyJet. It's not their fault and I want them to survive this crisis in some form. It's a great company. Family, friends and colleagues have said similar fwiw.

I hope I did not sound mean or snarky - or imply privilege when writing "special powers". Only your lawyer skilz.. 

No offence taken, @pongo. I didn’t take it as snarky, or implying privilege, either. I’m with you. They’re my short haul European airline of choice. And in spite of me grumbling when flights have gone wrong they offer the best wheelchair assistance of any budget short haul. 

My experience was different to yours, but only because I waited.

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

The whole world is doing this though.  I should be in Australia now.  I didn't get as far as booking any accommodation there thankfully, but so far I've seen nothing back from the £2500+ I've shelled out on flights, despite the fact that the airlines cancelled them.  I'll probably get something back from somebody at some stage (airline, credit card or insurance) but nobody's falling over themselves to return fares and bookings as far as I can tell.

Doesn't make it right though does it. If there's any justice in the world, nobody will book with them again and once they go bust they can reflect on how they treated people

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Is that correct?

How the hell is it voluntary? they booked for a specific event that the IOM Government have now cancelled. Borders are locked for the foreseeable future so no, it is not voluntary

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Doesn't make it right though does it. If there's any justice in the world, nobody will book with them again and once they go bust they can reflect on how they treated people

and a rebrand and coat of paint later with all the same planes and staff they will pick up the same customers that swore never to use easyjet again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

How the hell is it voluntary? they booked for a specific event that the IOM Government have now cancelled. Borders are locked for the foreseeable future so no, it is not voluntary

Because they booked travel and accommodation that was not dependant on the event. 

Yes, it was related.

if you book a concert or theatre event and book non refundable non cancellable travel and accommodation ( you had the option of full price flexible and refundable but opted not to ) and then the event is cancelled, what do you think your position is.

But at the moment it’s the choice of the traveller. In 3 weeks time, if hotels are closed and there’s no transport onto island the legal position changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they just playing brinkmanship though, waiting until they're actually obliged to cancel the flight itself before refunding?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Are they just playing brinkmanship though, waiting until they're actually obliged to cancel the flight itself before refunding?

Yes, both hotels and airlines.

• Like 1