Coronavirus, TT and other Manx sporting events cancellation

Max Power

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s still just flu. You’re unlikely to actually die from it unless you’re old or have some other underlying condition. Quarantining those who are vulnerable makes more sense than a whole bloody country causing wider economic carnage.  

Read this (especially the last paragraph): https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

It’s oh so easy when on the internet to be blasé about an illness that doubles every 2 or 3 days kills 1 or so percent of cases and has continued to spread despite the lock down of millions and a societal effort by one of the world’s most totalitarian governments. 

Yeah all overblown. 

China so far has contained its outbreak to a similar sized area as the one in Italy. Extrapolating these examples more widely is sobering but clearly not for some users of the internet. 

Edited by Chinahand
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Look at the age groups associated with deaths from normal flu the CDC clearly shows the high risk groups in its US data. The 65+ category has by far the most of the deaths in it (in fact pretty much all of them at 51,000 out of a total count of 61,000). Shutting down whole counties is going to lead to mass job losses and social unrest. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm#table1

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Look at the age groups associated with deaths from normal flu the CDC clearly shows the high risk groups in its US data. The 65+ category has by far the most of the deaths in it. Shutting down whole counties is going to lead to mass job losses and social unrest. 

You’re wasting your time mate, some people just love to revel in panic mode...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You’re wasting your time mate, some people just love to revel in panic mode...

I’m surprised the public sector here is still working. First time someone heard a cough I was expecting 6,000 people to go home and self-isolate for two weeks. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

Look at the age groups associated with deaths from normal flu the CDC clearly shows the high risk groups. Shutting down whole counties is going to lead to mass job losses and social unrest. 

I'm not doubting the issue of the high risk groups, that's well known in flu as well. Immunity is another matter.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s still just flu. You’re unlikely to actually die from it unless you’re old or have some other underlying condition. Quarantining those who are vulnerable makes more sense than a whole bloody country causing wider economic carnage.  

With flu there’s a degree of herd immunity, with this new virus there isn’t. One reason for the quarantine measures is to slow the spread generally. If we just ‘lock up the elderly’ as you’re suggesting it could spread rapidly, particularly because there will be some who are asymptotic and spread it widely. There are still serious cases amongst younger people, although not at the same rate as the elderly.

Another reason for slowing spread is to give hospitals etc time to prepare, which is what they are doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm not doubting the issue of the high risk groups, that's well known in flu as well. Immunity is another matter.

I wasn’t doubting you either but the CDC data is very clear in that virtually all the deaths are in the 65+ age group hence I don’t see what benefit potentially causing mass job losses and social unrest amongst the wider economy is really achieving. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I wasn’t doubting you either but the CDC data is very clear in that virtually all the deaths are in the 65+ age group hence I don’t see what benefit potentially causing mass job losses and social unrest amongst the wider economy is really achieving. 

less pensions to pay out ,  can't believe we aren't shipping in the infected.

• Haha 1

On M R news a.m. MR Quayle said the T.T. Is safe atm the important bit of this being atm it would not be a great political move to cancel it now but once Noble’s states it could not cope with any Corona virus patients and injured riders and fans it will be a different story, the hospital usually has a bit of a clear out before TT and non urgent proceedures do not take place to prepare for the influx of casualties.   I am sure there will be a change of heart. Similarly if England follow Italy to contain the virus there would be no go areas and travel to the Island.   I would put money on the T.T. Not taking place sad as it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

It’s oh so easy when on the internet to be blasé about an illness that doubles every 2 or 3 days kills 1 or so percent of cases and has continued to spread despite the lock down of millions and a societal effort by one of the world’s most totalitarian governments. 

Yeah all overblown. 

China so far has contained its outbreak to a similar sized area as the one in Italy. Extrapolating these examples more widely is sobering but clearly not for some users of the internet. 

china did sod all for 2 months.......

57 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m surprised the public sector here is still working. First time someone heard a cough I was expecting 6,000 people to go home and self-isolate for two weeks. 

They have. Just that no-one noticed!! 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

once Noble’s states it could not cope with any Corona virus patients and injured riders and fans it will be a different story,

That's seemingly what several senior doctors have already said but are not prepared to go on record as it wouldn't be helpful for their employment. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

That's seemingly what several senior doctors have already said but are not prepared to go on record as it wouldn't be helpful for their employment. 

a elderly relative went to the doctors last week.....was told its a load of fuss about nothing and keep away from foreigners......