Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
The Amazing Ronrico

Post Office Vice Chair Resigns

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course she previously bailed out of being the DoI member in charge of roads (including the Prom project) so it may just be that she has a rudimentary sense of self-preservation.  I'm not sure that you can really distinguish between the Board and the management though as like most Boards they just seem to nod through whatever they are told.

She obviously has little board level experience to guide her. But then again she also seems to have very little life experience of anything else either. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

She obviously has little board level experience to guide her. But then again she also seems to have very little life experience of anything else either. 

And others of the same ilk wait in the wings for their turn!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course she previously bailed out of being the DoI member in charge of roads (including the Prom project) so it may just be that she has a rudimentary sense of self-preservation

That was Lord-Brennan. August-Hanson was Home Affairs. Quit using the same excuse as LB though.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I’m not sure anyone wants to dive into that politically. I’d be reasonably confident in guessing that why she wants out. 

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Indeed, when you compare with other political giants on LegCo such as [examines list] Geoff Corkish, Juan Turner, Tim Crookall ...

Actually I'm not really that convinced by how much use 'board level experience' is, given that all most Non-Execs in British business seem to know is "Take the money and keep quiet".   Which is about the only thing that a lot of Tynwald members seem to already have in their skill-set. 

But you would have hoped that August-Hanson's journalistic background and now freedom from Departmental roles would led to her asking more question, say, but she's actually been much less inquisitive than her PO boss Edge for instance.

3 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

That was Lord-Brennan. August-Hanson was Home Affairs. Quit using the same excuse as LB though.

Oops.  You're right - I get confused by all those hyphens.  They did indeed both give the reason that they were standing down to provide better scrutiny, but that doesn't even really apply because they could still have scrutinised other Departments than the one(s) they were assigned to. 

I don't actually have any objection to MLCs working as Departmental Members - we might as well get something out of them for the money and they don't have any constituents to worry about[1].  My real objection is that they are not popularly elected.  I object more to backbench MHKs being DMs.

[1]  I've actually seen recently that some MLCs point out that they do seem to be dealing directly with members of the public and their problems.  I suspect this is possibly due to personal contacts but also because some MHKs are useless or use CoMin membership as an excuse to not get involved in difficult casework.  Certainly we've seen a bit more activities from some MLCs in the last few years, but that's from a very low base.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

There is more detail on the newspaper site - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54247&headline=Post Office vice-chairman resigns: 'I cannot in good faith support the board further'&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

Her focus is on the Board, which is different from the management, so the flounce might be a personality clash with our Julie from Onchan.  I can't imagine working with either of them to be honest!

You mean a  bit like the other double-barrell free-loader who also flounced out of her role at DOI, where one of her co-political members was...oh, Julie Edge?

I can see why decent MLC candidates never get a look in ! don't rock the boat old boy!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, asitis said:

I can see why decent MLC candidates never get a look in ! don't rock the boat old boy!

Prime example was Michael Moyle. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, that's very worrying. Some of whom are government employees and have been for most of their working life. The Legislature is turning into the Executive almost by default. A one party state.

ETA: The Cabinet Office is akin to the Apparat with it's docile nonemklatura and apparatchick cohorts doing their bidding.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

As I've mentioned before there is no normal senatorial work of an MLC. That is a pipedream that was never realised. There is nothing to stop them introducing legislation (eg Equality Act introduced by the AG) and raising motions in Tynwald with a view to shape policy (Cretney fireworks committee).

There is no role for MLCs to act as a check on government by scrutinising bills, delegated legislation, government administration, and government policy in general?

& if not, why not?

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well as far as you can tell from that she seems to leaving because of objecting to post office closures, though for a journalist she's not very good at communicating.  Of course she previously bailed out of being the DoI member in charge of roads (including the Prom project) so it may just be that she has a rudimentary sense of self-preservation.  I'm not sure that you can really distinguish between the Board and the management though as like most Boards they just seem to nod through whatever they are told.

I think MLCs feel a bit constrained in entering open political discussion with the wider electorate

A shame really as a good number of the newish ones have a lot to contribute, in my opinion

Being appointed by MHKs rather than elected by the public is something of a democratic liability - not a good thing in the oldest continuously running parliament in the world

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

There is more detail on the newspaper site - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54247&headline=Post Office vice-chairman resigns: 'I cannot in good faith support the board further'&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020

Her focus is on the Board, which is different from the management, so the flounce might be a personality clash with our Julie from Onchan.  I can't imagine working with either of them to be honest!

They were sending notes to each other nearly the whole way through Alf Cannan's budget speech, they seemed to be on good terms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

They were sending notes to each other nearly the whole way through Alf Cannan's budget speech, they seemed to be on good terms

tumblr_oqr5dc5AbM1v9rqn1o1_400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

seems legit

• Haha 1