Lord Street flats relocated to Peel Road (No Parking)

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Felt museum.

God bless you. With the monorail station built above Shaw's Brow. At last.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shell is structurally sound and aesthetically quite pleasing. With doors on the entrances, lifts, and enclosed decks they could be reconfigured into nice one bed executive apartments. Dandara

Oh calm down.  According to that article "the council had chosen to provide only 28 spaces because the majority of its central Douglas residents, who will move into these flats, don’t own cars".   For

God bless you. With the monorail station built above Shaw's Brow. At last.

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What I find annoying Roger, is their assumption that lower income people shouldn't have and do not need cars.

It's not not a matter of should, it's a matter of don't.  You put in facilities that people will actually need not that you think they out to have.   Presumably the tenants will be the same sort of people who currently live in the Lord Street flats - and the population is supposed to be getting older after all.  

You would hope they would think of such things as provision for mobility scooters rather than allowing for 1.5 vehicles per flat or whatever.  Car ownership is falling and I suspect that the car parking spaces that even commercial developments have been forced to provide in the past are rarely fully occupied.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

The shell is structurally sound and aesthetically quite pleasing.

Is this satire? They are freaking hideous with no redeeming feature about them. Similar across Britain were razed to the ground from the 70s onwards. Their continued existence here is an embarrassment to the Island. I sincerely hope that there are plans at an advanced stage to put a bomb under them.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, woolley said:

Is this satire? They are freaking hideous with no redeeming feature about them. Similar across Britain were razed to the ground from the 70s onwards. Their continued existence here is an embarrassment to the Island. I sincerely hope that there are plans at an advanced stage to put a bomb under them.

I rather agree with John.  They've been poorly maintained for many years because the Corpy prefers to splash the cash on the right contractors replacing kitchens etc at double market rate rather than keeping existing stuff in good condition.  But cleaned up and improved they'd be attractive enough and certainly a lot nicer that the stuff that Dandara and others throw up at the moment.  I suspect though that the whole thing will be razed (with endless disruption to traffic) and something bigger and more hideous put in place to make Lord Street even more depressing than it is.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Dovetails in with Ray Harmer's stated policy of reducing parking in new build areas too.

Quite clearly it's going to be the bus, MAMIL or Shank's Pony for those unable to afford an electric vehicle and private parking in the future.

Yes sadly in the DOIs dystopian vision of Douglas 2030 the most effective and convenient form of transport across town will be the horse tram which will outrun your standard issue DOI bicycle and your own feet. They don’t seem to think that people should aspire to anything more progressive. 

Edited by The Amazing Ronrico
Typo
22 minutes ago, The Amazing Ronrico said:

Yes sadly in the DOIs dystopian vision of Douglas 2030 the most effective and convenient form of transport across town will be the horse tram which will outrun your standard issue DOI bicycle and your own feet. They don’t seem to think that people should aspire to anything more progressive. 

Ray Harmer in the Running Man

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If new build apartment complexes for low income people in the town centre the need for cars is very limited, if new tenants with cars want to park them then they can always contract a parking space at Shaw's Brow or some other nearby car park private or otherwise, or park at the car park near the bowl and bloody well walk. Just like anything else in life, if you can't afford something you go without ergo if you have a car but can't afford the parking charges then get a bicycle, motorbike or use public transport or even get a lift from a work colleague or friend. I'd like a helicopter but I can't afford one therefore I go without. Ive been fortunate and astute in life therefore I have a property in Douglas that can have 6 to 7 cars on the driveway, but at the back of my house there's a someone who has space for about 40 to 50 cars and a helicopter or two, am I moaning about it, no.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

If new build apartment complexes for low income people in the town centre the need for cars is very limited, if new tenants with cars want to park them then they can always contract a parking space at Shaw's Brow or some other nearby car park private or otherwise, or park at the car park near the bowl and bloody well walk. Just like anything else in life, if you can't afford something you go without ergo if you have a car but can't afford the parking charges then get a bicycle, motorbike or use public transport or even get a lift from a work colleague or friend. I'd like a helicopter but I can't afford one therefore I go without. Ive been fortunate and astute in life therefore I have a property in Douglas that can have 6 to 7 cars on the driveway, but at the back of my house there's a someone who has space for about 40 to 50 cars and a helicopter or two, am I moaning about it, no.

yes you are...

44 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Obviously I'm not, I really couldn't care less as I have ample parking spaces, I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

The flat dwellers can park in the surplus spaces that you and your neighbour have then. Problem solved! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, woolley said:

The flat dwellers can park in the surplus spaces that you and your neighbour have then. Problem solved! :)

Can't have the riff raff cluttering up the place. 

My point is that there are 28 parking spaces being made available, that means 28 more than currently exists. There are also 66 cycle spaces/parks which is 66 more than currently exists. If there were say 66 parking spaces and 28 cycle spaces, or even 96 parking spaces then the same detractors would be up in arms about it, damned if they do and damned if they don't. It's an inner city apartment complex for low income people on a small site, how many feckin spaces do you think could possibly be allocated and how many low income people living in social housing who are going to live there actually own or will own a car? Cars will be reduced in number, it's inevitable, My wife and I have 3 children, she drives over 40 miles per day, and have quite a few kids clubs, we manage perfectly well with one car (Could afford another one but see no purpose), when the kids are old enough to drive then they'll have one car to share between them...you make do, if I didn't have the space for, or couldn't afford two cars then we'd stick to one and adjust our life to suit.

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They don’t have parking spaces in the old ones ...do they ?   So what has changed.

If you look at half the residents in there they’re well past working age (if they ever worked) and probably don’t have cars. However presumably the new flats will go to younger families who are of working age and will need transport to get about. 

Edited by The Amazing Ronrico
Typos
7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I rather agree with John.  They've been poorly maintained for many years because the Corpy prefers to splash the cash on the right contractors replacing kitchens etc at double market rate rather than keeping existing stuff in good condition.  But cleaned up and improved they'd be attractive enough and certainly a lot nicer that the stuff that Dandara and others throw up at the moment.  I suspect though that the whole thing will be razed (with endless disruption to traffic) and something bigger and more hideous put in place to make Lord Street even more depressing than it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. We are talking about the same edifice? Let us remind ourselves about what we are discussing:

image.png.6a7bfee9b8e84ca2b226da6ed9aa3b62.png

If this is not the most truly depressing building in town that has no place in the 21st century then I am struggling to name a worse one. Perhaps one of our illustrious local developers can conceive something even more hideous to put up in its place as you say, but you have to concede that would be a mighty challenge. I don't think Dandara have built anything this bad. It is shocking.

• Like 2