Lord Street flats relocated to Peel Road (No Parking)

What's the actual structure like though?Picture it with better windows, wrought iron balconies on those bays, flats knocked through to make large expensive departments. And a decent lick of paint to brighten it up would go a long way.

• Like 3
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shell is structurally sound and aesthetically quite pleasing. With doors on the entrances, lifts, and enclosed decks they could be reconfigured into nice one bed executive apartments. Dandara

Oh calm down.  According to that article "the council had chosen to provide only 28 spaces because the majority of its central Douglas residents, who will move into these flats, don’t own cars".   For

God bless you. With the monorail station built above Shaw's Brow. At last.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. We are talking about the same edifice? Let us remind ourselves about what we are discussing:

image.png.6a7bfee9b8e84ca2b226da6ed9aa3b62.png

If this is not the most truly depressing building in town that has no place in the 21st century then I am struggling to name a worse one. Perhaps one of our illustrious local developers can conceive something even more hideous to put up in its place as you say, but you have to concede that would be a mighty challenge. I don't think Dandara have built anything this bad. It is shocking.

But even the most beautiful building in the world can look depressing when it's not been looked after, and clearly nothing's been done to that one for a long time - look at that peeling paint and fact it has never been cleaned since everyone had a coal fire.  But if it structurally sound (as John says) and was renovated appropriately with age-appropriate techniques, then it would actually look quite attractive - the design isn't bad.  I'd have agreed with you at one time, but I happened to look at it 'in the flesh' the other day and thought that it could actually be made into something.

And even a lick of paint would make it look better than the block that Dandara is going to replace it with up the road, which, like that newish estate opposite Anagh Coar seems to based on the belief that you can redeem bad architecture by painting it random colours.

• Like 1

We should be leading the way with driverless vehicles and uber style apps where you just call a car when you need one.  Most vehicles sped most of their time parked up.

There won't be the same requirement for parking in ten years as there is now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

And even a lick of paint would make it look better than the block that Dandara is going to replace it with up the road, which, like that newish estate opposite Anagh Coar seems to based on the belief that you can redeem bad architecture by painting it random colours.

And don't forget the planks of wood.

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

St Mary’s School is the epitome of cheap and nasty gentrification cladding. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near there next bonfire night if there’s a few stray sparks flying. 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:29 PM, Max Power said:

What I find annoying Roger, is their assumption that lower income people shouldn't have and do not need cars.

Max, like you , we own our house outright, but have no entitlement to any parking.we have to park wherever we can. 
Why the hell should subsidized flat renters be entitled to such. I was born in a commissioner's house, but we never expected anything from others and were very grateful for what we had. We ha£ no car or even a tv untill I was about 10 years old. That was mid sixties. Too many people now think we owe them something and too many snowflakes wanting to be seen as benevolent lovely warm people here to help.

Ducks for cover ............

26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Max, like you , we own our house outright, but have no entitlement to any parking.we have to park wherever we can. 
Why the hell should subsidized flat renters be entitled to such.

It’s not about entitlement surely it’s about sensibly available public spaces within reasonable walking distance? 

5 hours ago, trmpton said:

There won't be the same requirement for parking in ten years as there is now.

There were already around 40 or 50 contract parking spaces in use on the site before building commenced. They've all had to find parking elsewhere already.

21 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There were already around 40 or 50 contract parking spaces in use on the site before building commenced. They've all had to find parking elsewhere already.

Dry your tears Albert

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But that has nothing to do with the number of spaces needed for those who will be living in the flats.  The provision of parking spaces for those working or living elsewhere is a separate matter.

• Like 1