Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Coronavirus Isle of Man

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

The info about testing hospital admissions is indeed true.

At the moment, only patients in hospital with flu-like symptoms are being routinely tested for the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

Thanks, I was looking for an article with that data, though it probably hadn't been published when I searched this morning.  I'm not sure that what PK is saying is that different.  The routine tests are for "patients in hospital with flu-like symptoms", but that doesn't necessarily mean in-patients.  Those referred, tested and then sent home will also be included as well as those ill enough to be admitted or already there.

But it does emphasise how little testing is happening anywhere else and how slow they have been at expanding capacity.  That is slowly happening but when it was promised to increase testing to 10,000 a day, no one said it wouldn't be till the end of the month and when Boris claimed 25,000 he didn't admit that it wouldn't be till the end of April.  

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

And I will reply because you know damned well it is not. You know.

A 'minor' one maybe, let's not get too heavy on a forum. The pretty (there aren't many of them I know) advocate who is fed up with people parking on the double yellow lines up the quiet side street near her house? No problem. 24 hours a day she can call one of the boys to slap a ticket on the car. Well a pair of pretty blue eyes never fails with the boys in blue does it.

I know of other such cases. Some minor some not so minor.

How about an advocate's been a bit (read very) 'naughty' ..... no problem, the police will make sure it doesn't go any further, even if they have to lie through their teeth in doing so.

Well, it is the Isle of Man

You know what goes on Mr Flint, and don't say you don't.

We have some fantastic police on this Island and they have my every respect, but amongst them lurks some pretty nasty bad apples, and even the apparently good ones can turn bad once or more in a while 

You know what goes on Mr Flint, and don't say you don't. (I think I already said that)

Produce evidence or shut the fuck up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Produce evidence or shut the fuck up.

Don't you worry laddie, I have plenty of evidence.

But come on laddie, who do you show it to. Who? question mark? exclamation mark!

The fucking Lurker on Manx Forums?

And no I will not shut the fuck up. That of course is the tactic, isn't it 'lurker'.. 

• Like 1

I think everyone should keep a brief diary of where they have been each day, even if it is "stayed at home all day".

It is difficult when we are not at our usual work desks and work environments to track time.

Things are moving fast. Should anyone go down with the virus they can trace where they have been and that can be compared with others who might go down. This will help to trace sources, or weaknesses in our strategy.

• Like 1

It only needs one act of stupidity or oversight to dramatically skew figures amongst such a relatively small sample size as ours, but as per this mornings numbers 'only' 3 new cases based on an additional 167 completed tests has to be good news.

Stay safe.

Thoughts to the families and loved ones of all those so far affected and huge thanks to those working above and beyond - the list is endless! T-H-A-N-K-S

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder how some people are going to meet their domestic rates demands in a couple of months' time if they've not been working or have been receiving a lot less than usual. Demanding @ £1k upwards may break a few camel's backs.

Because the Parish Council dived in head-first, jerking to the Uk's kneejerk, without thinking through the dire consequences to the Manx economy of shutting it down.  We don't have the massive reserves of the UK and while sensible measures to limit the impact of CV should have been introduced eg closing all inbound/outbound transport, the economy should have been allowed to tick-over within reasonable self-distancing and measures taken to suit the Island, not follow the rest of the hyteria.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Because the Parish Council dived in head-first, jerking to the Uk's kneejerk, without thinking through the dire consequences to the Manx economy of shutting it down.  We don't have the massive reserves of the UK and while sensible measures to limit the impact of CV should have been introduced eg closing all inbound/outbound transport, the economy should have been allowed to tick-over within reasonable self-distancing and measures taken to suit the Island, not follow the rest of the hyteria.

some places had to shut because people just would not comply with the self distancing because they didn't want it to apply to them.  if people won't do as their asked then they need to be kept out one way or another. shutting up shop is the safest option 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, gettafa said:

This is not an isolated case. The police and advocates can have an unhealthily close relationship. Scratching each others backs (no need to reply @Derek Flint , @thommo2010 et al. You know what goes on. 

It borders on Mafie-esque.

This is the Isle of Man.

It may be that the poster is violent or abusive and that his partner is scared of him and doesn't want him in the house and if that's the case then quite rightly so, it could be any number if reasons. What I will say is this, if the poster is a Manx resident and has paid into the Manx NHS then the Manx Authorities should allow him to enter the Island but find him alternative accommodation and quarantine him/self-isloate for 14 days but continue after that that he's not allowed to enter the marital home unless given permission to do so by his partner if they are unable to co-habit due to an acrimonious separation. 

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

It may be that the poster is violent or abusive and that his partner is scared of him and doesn't want him in the house and if that's the case then quite rightly so, it could be any number if reasons. What I will say is this, if the poster is a Manx resident and has paid into the Manx NHS then the Manx Authorities should allow him to enter the Island but find him alternative accommodation and quarantine him/self-isloate for 14 days but continue after that that he's not allowed to enter the marital home unless given permission to do so by his partner if they are unable to co-habit due to an acrimonious separation. 

I think a halfway house will have to be created - which is why I was advocating the requisitioning of an hotel as an isolation Centre some weeks back. In 21 days time on island testing will be in place which could lead to a quick turn round for anyone granted entry. Still needs rigorous enforcement.