Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t know about you,

I’ve had similar. Police can access vehicle registration data, that gives name of registered keeper.

After that I’m in the book and on line.

Phone was a mobile, not in the book and number only shared with close friends and family. This was 10 years or so ago. No online presence.

Don't get me wrong, I knew what I signed up for when subscribing to this new fangled technology stuff. (I know how it works, our kid).

My car wasn't blocking anyone, it was perfectly legally parked. But for the convenience of the lads having to carry the poles and extra 10 yards, someone was able to get the police to contact the owner of a car.

It's innocuous stuff, of course. And I was pleased to help.

But don't cross the boys in blue or their friends or anyone in *ahem* the 'establishment'.

They know where you live.

Hold on a sec, there was just a knock at the door.......

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Hold on a sec, there was just a knock at the door.......

It's me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Jeez, that's more frightening than Corovirus!!!

Most of the Govts online services ask for a phone no. as well as your address.

Cross referencing of non-financial info must be allowed between Depts?

Govt help for the self employed doesn't appear to apply  the over 65's, an over sight or is the pension supposed to cover loss of income and protection of employees?

Edited by Kopek

27 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

So he’s a slippery slithering two faced mendacious twat then. Thanks for confirming that.

I think even Boris knows that, but the answer regarding following scientific advice seems to be factual.

Govey made some remark that,,,,,, the virus does not discriminate, implying that Boris is somehow 'different' to the rest of us???

Apart from being a silly remark, Radio 4 used it as a news headline! Rub it in?

Police once contacted me in the middle of the night on my work mobile so how did they get that? 

Firstly they'd need to of known where I worked and if even they did they wouldn't of been able to contact anyone to get it at that hour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No senior Health execs at the briefing again today. Where are they?

Indeed; key word being ‘again’. I’m aware you spoke of ‘execs’ (I’ll come to that) but as far as medics are concerned we’ve been told that the Director of Public Health, Dr. Ewart, is in self-isolation following an off-Island holiday. Presumably not out of quarantine yet. Briefly the ‘Chief Medical Director’ appeared, presumably in lieu of the DPH, but she’s gone underground again. ‘Chief’ Medical Director clearly implies that there are lesser Medical Directors, so where are they? Once upon a time, the Island had simply a ‘Medical Director’ who was the senior medic at Noble’s but who had no ‘national’ responsibility. Now, the existence of the ‘Chief’ strongly suggests we’ve been breeding other Medical Directors.

As for ‘execs’, well do we actually have any? The part-time DHSC CEO is performing a laudable impression of the Scarlet Pimpernel - I seem to recall that she too may have been in isolation but whether here or in her English enclave who knows. No other senior health exec - perhaps they’ve all seen the light and buggered off back to the UK, because locals at senior levels in the civil service evaporated years ago - seems to exist. However, far from ‘carrying’ the (missing) execs don’t forget that in Quayle we have Tynwald’s biggest ego unleashed and the boy vampire isn’t far behind. I’d put money on Quayle having given strict orders to the effect of ‘I’m the great, all knowing, Howard; keep off my podium and steer clear of my press briefings you civil service monkeys. Slaying the virus is my mighty victory.’ And, interestingly, loads of these emergency powers are made by, exercised by, and otherwise provide all sorts of scope to the Chief Secretary. There’s not a whiff of him either. And thus no chance for the journos to question this behind the curtain powerhouse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, finlo said:

Police once contacted me in the middle of the night on my work mobile so how did they get that? 

Firstly they'd need to of known where I worked and if even they did they wouldn't of been able to contact anyone to get it at that hour!

Police once contacted me on my mobile about a car that had been in an accident outside my house that they thought was mine. I had my car with me at work but when I came home there was a car that was red with a huge scratch down it which on a quick look could have been mine. I rang police back to ask how on earth they had got my phone number and connected it to that car and they actually tried to make out that the registration number was similar (it wasn’t) and then all sorts of other garbled nonsense to explain what was quite bizarre but potentially a big brother problem. Never did get to the bottom of very suspicious situation. 

Posted (edited)

Some years ago the Police phoned me to say that the alarm was sounding in a building in which I was tenant. I was not a listed contact but my business no. was in the book. Presumably they were just looking for a fast attendance? So OK?

Quite some years ago I phoned a SGT or INSP in the POlice with a sales pitch, we had his phone number on file. Some hour or so later, I got a call from another police person asking how I got his number. This was in the days that you could 155??? to get the number of the caller.

The Sgt/Insp must have retrieved my number, handed it on to another police person for him to ring me to ask, 'How I got his number.?'

Was this mis-use of Police time? Was this an essential use of police time? Was it 'abuse' of police time and facilities?

Today of course, there are so many ways to track a person, is doing so always a fair use of the system? Would Facebook provide this info, Google???

Currently there are many 'powers' being given to the Police and other agencies under the  guise of Corovirus necessity.

What guarantee do we have that these measures will be totally withdrawn when the crisis is over? None!

Could a right  wing Govt wanting to draw up a UK human rights act, through Parliament numbers keep some of these measures in place?

We don't know but can we trust our Govts to withdraw all of these 'emergency' measures???

Edited by Kopek

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

In the current climate, I’m comfortable with that

Absolutely.

• Like 1

.............. but was this a  16yo kicking off because of Corovirus restrictions? Did he want 3 pack of 12 toilet rolls? and got stroppy when refused?

Or, was he a 16yo who was likely to kick off for any minor reason, looking for any excuse to draw attention to his self?

If the former, then he should be dealt with with the current stiation in mind.

If the latter, he should have been dealt with as in normal circumstances, probably a fine, community service? Or perhaps spoken to and sent on his way???

...but can community service be imposed at the mo? Was this prison term a reaction by the  judiciary to this lack of sentences available to them ?

Is this the logical application of justice that we should expect from our legal system???

• Like 1

Don’t know about elsewhere, but in Ramsey  now that everybody’s at home and the streets are pretty much empty it’s only the young chavs that are left walking around. Hoods up and makeshift face masks on hiding their identity verbally abusing pretty much anyone. They need taking off the streets while we’re having a cleanse. 

• Thanks 1

Nature will cleanse them...