Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

3 hours ago, woolley said:

You advocate increased costs, presumably,  because that is what larger, centralised bureaucracy inevitably leads to.  

Getting rid of duplication and layers of red tape and amalgamating the functions together under one agency would surely reduce costs and bureaucracy?

49 minutes ago, FDR said:

Getting rid of duplication and layers of red tape and amalgamating the functions together under one agency would surely reduce costs and bureaucracy?

No. It will be expensively staffed. Empires will be built. Excess will rule. Study any large bureaucracy. Any synergies of combining services will be dwarfed by the monster created. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, woolley said:

No. It will be expensively staffed. Empires will be built. Excess will rule. Study any large bureaucracy. Any synergies of combining services will be dwarfed by the monster created. 

I'm one of those people who used to believe in 'economies of scale'. But I now realise that smaller and more local solutions are often much more efficient, effective and lightweight. And I also now much better understand many of the technical reasons why.

(Please Woolley don't point out any possible irony in me saying this relative to anything else we might ever have disagreed about here :) )

Edited by pongo

8 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Having had a peek into Tesco to see if the stories are true, I can see why people need so much toilet paper! They must be eating three times what they would normally eat for some reason, even perishables are being swooped on!

Down here at ASDA it's a mad rush for bog paper, bread, pasta sauce and rice!

Some joker put a few bags of cat litter on the shelf where they sell 5kg bags of rice, wonderful watching the male hunter-gatherer grabbing them and not looking at the contents :) .

Apparently LIDL was empty of stock by 8:30 AM.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'm one of those people who used to believe in 'economies of scale'. But I now realise that smaller and more local solutions are often much more efficient, effective and lightweight. And I also now much better understand many of the technical reasons why.

(Please Woolley don't point out any possible irony in me saying this relative to anything else we might ever have disagreed about here :) )

Moi? I wouldn't dream of such a snide response. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just been to Tesco to collect what should've been delivered this evening, following their cancellation. Although limited in choice there is still sustainable products available on the shelves. It was noticeable that the busiest shoppers with the fullest trollies and baskets were also, ahem, on the large size.

As we left, an artic arrived with a delivery. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, quilp said:

Just been to Tesco to collect what should've been delivered this evening, following their cancellation. Although limited in choice there is still sustainable products available on the shelves. It was noticeable that the busiest shoppers with the fullest trollies and baskets were also, ahem, on the large size.

As we left, an artic arrived with a delivery. 

You mean fat bastards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

You presuppose that the people who currently run the government would be doing it so I understand why you doubt it would follow a proper approach as we'd find in the private sector. In the hypothetical scenario, it would be ME personally with all the emergency powers and I'd use my powers to make sure it followed strict and vigorous implementation as per the private sector. I would literally send in tanks to implement it and any subversive elements who opposed me would go on nice one-way trips in helicopters over the Irish Sea. :lol:

4 minutes ago, FDR said:

I see migrants in Italy are violating the quarantine rules and risking public health. The Italian Government should send in the army  to shoot them on sight.

Can’t see the Greek military being welcoming of the migrant invasion on their Turkish border at this time either.