Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The police have a wider and more accurate perspective of all this than what can be gleaned off 'Facey' etc.

I don't think I would question their authority or interpretation just now.

I think that until we become a police state, it is important that we do question authority and interpretation. I have no problem in being reasonable and law abiding but allowing people to make up the rules arbitrarily is not a path we should be going down. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I think that until we become a police state, it is important that we do question authority and interpretation.

Like questioning the implementation of whether a road is actually closed and if those enforcing the law are going so correctly? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, gettafa said:

Aye.

Surely it already got worse when some pisshead decided to go for a blast up the clear mountain, on a lovely spring day with an extra few days off work.

On that particular day there were countless motorbikes out seemingly doing laps and treating it as if it was a public holiday not a pandemic. The pissed up driver wasn’t the reason for the 40mph limit that was completely coincidental (and given he was already breaking the law would have made little difference) but I think it was to stop the bikers having a blast about and keep their bikes in the garage, because 40mph on a modern sports bike is about as fun as having wet socks.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You can feel the undercurrent pretty clearly.

They obviously can't come out and say 'fucking behave or we'll lock you in' but that is basically what the message is. People are moaning now, but it can still get a lot worse.

And when it does get a lot worse it'll be cos some twat went for a 6 hour cycle or something equally selfish.

You've summed it up perfectly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There was a woman on BBC World Service last night from the Isle of Man, being interviewed along with a woman from USA. They both been undergoing treatment for breast cancer and their treatment is now not a priority. And all that that implies.

Both ladies were dignified and the word 'pragmatic' was used. My heart went out to them.

Another knock on from all this.

Someone very close to me has a different form of cancer, one which isn't treated on the island. This person has also - this past thursday - gone "live" on the IoM/UK transplant list whilst between rounds of chemotherapy. Obviously this person's treatment is also not a priority given current circumstances. They are also being very dignified and pragmatic; this person is of an age where there could be more than a few productive years ahead of them, but they believe they have had a fair go at life and, well, so be it.

It's hard. It's down-right devastating. The situation for them was bad enough before corona, but the outlook was very hopeful. The aim now is to keep them safe from covid-19 for long enough in the hopes that.... well, you know.

The corona death-tolls aren't going to show all the lives that coulda/shoulda/mighta been saved if hospitals weren't having to save lives infected with covid-19. (NOT that they shouldn't be saved!)

My heart goes out to everyone facing this new medical reality.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The police have a wider and more accurate perspective of all this than what can be gleaned off 'Facey' etc.

I don't think I would question their authority or interpretation just now.

Equally, there's plenty of people who are thinking "just fucking try it"

Looks like kick offs are happening more regularly in Italy.

Edited by Manxberry

5 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

On that particular day there were countless motorbikes out seemingly doing laps and treating it as if it was a public holiday not a pandemic. 

Well said.

I was working outside that day. It was like the first day of TT Week.

Ah well. Not much more can be said that hasn't already been said.

• Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

You can feel the undercurrent pretty clearly.

They obviously can't come out and say 'fucking behave or we'll lock you in' but that is basically what the message is. People are moaning now, but it can still get a lot worse.

And when it does get a lot worse it'll be cos some twat went for a 6 hour cycle or something equally selfish.

But that is, in essence, bollocks though. The social distancing is to prevent contact. If people are going about their way sensibly and safely and avoiding contact then that's perfectly reasonable and within the letter of any guidelines. Rolling out the high performance police bikes with a stop watch and camera attached isn't going to engender public trust and respect. We're a small island with a close knit community, there's no reason this shouldn't result in a harmonious coming together of society to get us through it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manxberry said:

Equally, there's plenty of people who are thinking "just fucking try it"

Looks like kick offs are happening more regularly in Italy.

It will be interesting as this develops and things get stricter to see where is going to revolt.

Somewhere will end up using their troops against their own civilians. 

• Like 3

Just now, TheTeapot said:

It will be interesting as this develops and things get stricter to see where is going to revolt.

Somewhere will end up using their troops against their own civilians. 

Much easier to bring in the troops with the blue helmets, who have no affinity to the public they are policing. Happens around the world now for that very reason.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

But that is, in essence, bollocks though... We're a small island with a close knit community, there's no reason this shouldn't result in a harmonious coming together of society to get us through it. 

Hopefully you are right.

44 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Like questioning the implementation of whether a road is actually closed and if those enforcing the law are going so correctly? :rolleyes:

Well there you go, if dickheads use loopholes to bypass something which other more sensible people accept as sufficient, they can't complain when legislation is introduced to inhibit them in future! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2