Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's not much in the way of exercise benefits, but there may be in terms of mental health because of of 'getting out of the house'.  And if the main concern is to prevent spreading the virus, then a drive is probably lower risk that going out for a walk - you're remaining in your own environment after all.

But people have accidents at home as well:

There's nothing else for it dili, you're going to have go out and live in the garden for the next six months.  And no you can't have a tent - do you know how dangerous those things are?

But the main reason for stopping unnecessary journeys, is to avoid any accidents that would tie up medics or other emergency service.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

I also agree with you. The difficulty is that these really are extraordinary times and instant decisions are having to be made. I see the need for clarification as per that tweet but the rather emotive sentiments contained within it are not helpful.

Quite.

On Saturday there were two drink driving arrests. Asking someone to blow is therefore perfectly reasonable and as failure to give a breath sample is an offence, its also perfectly reasonable to inform the driver of that.

None of us, including the farmer, were there so precisely how that was communicated to the vet is not known.

All essential workers should by now have their letter confirming their status (I have) so producing the letter and explaining that you're a vet on your way to an emergency should have been simple. A breath test as already mentioned shouldn't be an issue and certainly shouldn't have delayed anyone by "ages".

The claims just don't stack up to me.

Edited by piebaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a cyclist who has played a reasonably significant part in the cycling community in recent years my take is...

STAY AT HOME!

Trying to justify exceptions for one activity over another is not what everyone should be doing at the moment. The authorities, experts, police etc have made it clear that they want people to stay in as much as possible. An hour outside doing the permitted activities is enough. The self isolation argument falls down when every man and his dog drags a bike out the shed and the place ends up like Box Hill on a summer weekend. In so doing there will be more accidents and more contact. Then the walkers will want to stay out, then the runnefs and before you know it every mother fucker is outside enjoying a 6 hour leg stretch.

It is currently a 21 day lockdown FFS just play the game that the authorities want and stop bellyaching and spouting self indignant justification for your own activities exception!

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

As a cyclist who has played a reasonably significant part in the cycling community in recent years my take is...

STAY AT HOME!

Trying to justify exceptions for one activity over another is not what everyone should be doing at the moment. The authorities, experts, police etc have made it clear that they want people to stay in as much as possible. An hour outside doing the permitted activities is enough. The self isolation argument falls down when every man and his dog drags a bike out the shed and the place ends up like Box Hill on a summer weekend. In so doing there will be more accidents and more contact. Then the walkers will want to stay out, then the runnefs and before you know it every mother fucker is outside enjoying a 6 hour leg stretch.

It is currently a 21 day lockdown FFS just play the game that the authorities want and stop bellyaching and spouting self indignant justification for your own activities exception!

Well over 60,000 people on a small rock are currently not working. If they all decided to walk around the block you'd need traffic lights on the pavements. 

There is no harm whatsoever in some people walking, some running, some cycling, some driving to a secluded plantation and others across the countryside. Spread the load and flatten the curve. It'd be refreshing if our local constabulary used some common sense. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Well over 60,000 people on a small rock are currently not working. If they all decided to walk around the block you'd need traffic lights on the pavements. 

There is no harm whatsoever in some people walking, some running, some cycling, some driving to a secluded plantation and others across the countryside. Spread the load and flatten the curve. It'd be refreshing if our local constabulary used some common sense. 

"There is no harm whatsoever..." = famous last words

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But the main reason for stopping unnecessary journeys, is to avoid any accidents that would tie up medics or other emergency service.

That's important as well, which is why I distinguished before between activities that have a higher risk of injury or would take more effort to get someone to hospital (such as fell running) and those that don't, such as going for a sedate drive.  Everything has some risks, including staying at home.  And in any case I suspect the non-COVID bit of A&E are busy twiddling their thumbs a lot - there's a real danger that people don't get treatment when they should and when it is available.

I'm not saying that everyone should immediately go out for a drive or a ride or even a walk (per mile possibly the most dangerous of those), but everyone needs to stop obsessing over low-risk behaviour.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

As a cyclist who has played a reasonably significant part in the cycling community in recent years my take is...

STAY AT HOME!

Trying to justify exceptions for one activity over another is not what everyone should be doing at the moment. The authorities, experts, police etc have made it clear that they want people to stay in as much as possible. An hour outside doing the permitted activities is enough. The self isolation argument falls down when every man and his dog drags a bike out the shed and the place ends up like Box Hill on a summer weekend. In so doing there will be more accidents and more contact. Then the walkers will want to stay out, then the runnefs and before you know it every mother fucker is outside enjoying a 6 hour leg stretch.

It is currently a 21 day lockdown FFS just play the game that the authorities want and stop bellyaching and spouting self indignant justification for your own activities exception!

Top banana.... well said!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Top banana.... well said!

Did you buy up all supplies of cotton wool, too?  Get a realistic grip.

Edited by Utah 01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

I simply couldn't resist it (I think you came late to the thread, but the hyper thingummy was mentioned)

Heh!

Yes, I recall Howie Baby using it....now he's wanting shout outs for 'Howard's Heroes', it's a bit like Hogan's Heroes but that they're not looking for gold, the troubling thing is that it's Howard trying to make a make for himself rather than using the hashtag Island's heroes, they're not his heroes, not one bit, they are all our heroes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

"There is no harm whatsoever..." = famous last words

Fuck da Police 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Army reservists getting the call as emergency police?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

49 cases and our first ICU case. That's the reality of the situation. 

Sounds pretty good ..comparatively speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...