Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Is it true that Dr Aillson is going to make the schools shut early in a few weeks time for the six weeks holiday,.

Then will keep the school open in July and August for students to catch up with their studies.

So teachers will have an early six weeks hoilday.

Heard it down the Pub.

No, it isn't true that Dr Allison will do that. 

Because he doesn't have the authority.

But yes, they will probably shut on Friday for the foreseeable future, and reopen when possible (may be longer than July/August, but we'll see). Exams have already been cancelled

• Like 2

Someone has suggested they will stay open until the virus is confirmed as existing on the island

Howard missed the bus again on this one today. We're now the only place in the UK after Friday, where schools are still open. Who's advising him ? Just when we start to get our ass into gear we slip into neutral (and perhaps even reverse) again. I feel sorry for the teachers and admin staff who must feel like sacrificial pawns while everyone else is going into semi-lockdown and control measures.

• Haha 1

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

Howard missed the bus again on this one today. We're now the only place in the UK after Friday, where schools are still open. Who's advising him ? Just when we start to get our ass into gear we slip into neutral (and perhaps even reverse) again. I feel sorry for the teachers and admin staff who must feel like sacrificial pawns while everyone else is going into semi-lockdown and control measures.

It's just the fact they could easily do the same here now and follow the UK (which they've been doing all along), but because it's after 1730 they won't :P

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

No, it isn't true that Dr Allison will do that. 

Because he doesn't have the authority.

But yes, they will probably shut on Friday for the foreseeable future, and reopen when possible (may be longer than July/August, but we'll see). Exams have already been cancelled

Will  GCSE's  and such be cancelled / postponed nation wide ?

Answered in the daily wail,  exams cancelled. Hermione won't be very happy again

Edited by WTF

Good time to clamp down on UK registered vehicles driving around now.

Should the driver be in enforced 14 day isolation or are they locals taking the piss?  Let's stop 'em and find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Good time to clamp down on UK registered vehicles driving around now.

Should the driver be in enforced 14 day isolation or are they locals taking the piss?  Let's stop 'em and find out.

That's a story for a separate time, there's so many UK reg vehicles on the island with no intentional of changing to manx reg!

8 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

That's a story for a separate time, there's so many UK reg vehicles on the island with no intentional of changing to manx reg!

And why would you want to with the more expensive vehicle licence fees

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, WTF said:

And why would you want to with the more expensive vehicle licence fees

Just maybe to stay legal

edit to add, that the majority of UK plated cars I have seen lately, have been in car parks like Shoprite, Tesco and B&Q and all parked in two spaces. Selfish bastards, like the one I spoke to yesterday in Shoprite car park

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

So, despite the government standard response to the virus, police officers are being allowed by their management to go back to work after 7 days isolation, not 14 like the rest of us. I’m all for law and order, but they would be one of the major carriers of the virus, given they deal with a multitude of people day in and day out, and 7 days will not be enough for the virus to die. I’ve also heard of an officer whose family were experiencing high temperatures and other symptoms, and was told to stay at home in isolation. However, after ‘kicking off’, because he didn’t want to isolate, he was told it was ok to come in and work as normal. One rule for some, and another for the rest of us. This virus must only affect certain occupations methinks. 

7 minutes ago, manxst said:

So, despite the government standard response to the virus, police officers are being allowed by their management to go back to work after 7 days isolation, not 14 like the rest of us. I’m all for law and order, but they would be one of the major carriers of the virus, given they deal with a multitude of people day in and day out, and 7 days will not be enough for the virus to die. I’ve also heard of an officer whose family were experiencing high temperatures and other symptoms, and was told to stay at home in isolation. However, after ‘kicking off’, because he didn’t want to isolate, he was told it was ok to come in and work as normal. One rule for some, and another for the rest of us. This virus must only affect certain occupations methinks. 

Let's face it, not many coppers have contact with the public these days, all good.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Who's advising him ? 

Isn't it all the people that filtered through the non-secret door with Howard and Skelly at the start of today's toilet roll update?