Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Major Rushen said:

Ok, come November when those who have had it are out wearing their wrist bands..... what about those who are still on lock down?

You won't need a wristband when they implant the chip

• Haha 3

The Island pays money to the British Government so that the British Consulates provide and protect Manx residents.    The British consulates in the countries of the countries in which these unfortunate people, or sublime idiots, depending on which way you look at it are doing their best to repatriate these people to the U.K.  If the Manx Government then can find a way to bring these people over on the boat and find accommodation to isolate 100 people , separately, or in family groups, then I think they will.   This is not a waving of a magic wand scenario it is a complex issue, these people are dotted all over the world.  They have first got to get back to the UK before any plan can be made.   As for the medicine issue surely there are pharmacy’s where they can have their medication made up of course they will have to pay for that, unless they are in darkest Africa in a jungle.   The man in New Zealand has been there since November so a couple more months will not hurt.  Why should the Isle of Man Taxpayers suddenly be responsible for these idiots who obviously have not been reading the news or taking responsibility for their own actions.  It was their choice to go they ignored warnings of this virus.   We need to look after the Islands health as a priority.   This is just being fanned up by the media because basically there is no other news except the virus.   The other motley pair are Shimmins and the Bettison woman who are using the opportunity to grandstand, no one is listen:stupid:ing but we will remember your attempt at 5.minutes of fame when the elections come around.

• Like 4

Can anyone confirm the number of concluded tests as at 16:00 yesterday as I was sure I had taken it down as 1,334 with 95 confirmed cases, whereas there has been an increase in confirmed cases this morning to 114 but the number of concluded cases is now showing as 1,230.

Have they made an error somewhere or is it me?

ETA: Just watched the update and it said 1,147 it was misquoted on https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

Which altogether puts a different slant on MY perception - an increase of 20 on 70 tests and then this morning 19 on a further 83 might infer we are reaching the worst (hopefully) earlier than I expected - here's hoping.

Edited by SuffolkNGoode
6 minutes ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Can anyone confirm the number of concluded tests as at 16:00 yesterday as I was sure I had taken it down as 1,334 with 95 confirmed cases, whereas there has been an increase in confirmed cases this morning to 114 but the number of concluded cases is now showing as 1,230.

2/4 4pm 1147/95

2/4 10am 1077/75

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

According to the Government website at 4pm yesterday there were 1,147 concluded tests and there are now 1,230 tests concluded as of 10am today . Maybe Manx Radio dropped a bollock again in their reporting?

Edited by On The Bus
16 hours ago, On The Bus said:

So what country/cruise ship is it that you're stranded in/on?

They've been warning people for weeks to get back. It's  tough shit if they ignored the warnings and ended up stuck. 

Not quite as simple as that. They weren't warning people the border was going to be closed for weeks at all. I know of a few people in far flung destinations who tried to change their flights to earlier ones but there was no availability and other airlines that may have been an option had either stopped flying, pulled capacity, changed routes to accommodate transit countries changing policies or had no availability either. The whole world went into a state of panic a few weeks ago and it stretched the infrastructure of the planet in a whole number of areas, not least transport and travel. 

As always it's the keyboard warriors who don't travel much that shout the loudest.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Not quite as simple as that. They weren't warning people the border was going to closed for weeks at all. I know of a few people in far flung destinations who tried to change their flights to earlier ones but there was no availability and other airlines that may have been an option had either stopped flying, pulled capacity, changed routes to accommodate transit countries various policies or had no availability either. The whole world went into a state of panic a few weeks ago and it stretched the infrastructure of the planet in a whole number of areas, not least transport and travel. 

As always it's the keyboard warriors who don't travel much that shout the loudest.

It is simple in that it's tough. The border is now closed. 

We can with keep it closed and have a fighting chance, or we can open the border and risk collapsing Nobles and the entire healthcare system. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54893&headline=Virus much more widespread than test results show&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

• Like 1
1 minute ago, On The Bus said:

It is simple in that it's tough. The border is now closed. 

We can with keep it closed and have a fighting chance, or we can open the border and risk collapsing Nobles and the entire healthcare system. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=54893&headline=Virus much more widespread than test results show&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Pipe down soft lad.

The border is closed yes and should remain closed. However for some people who didn't make it back it wasn't their fault, they were just the unfortunate victim of circumstance.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

it's the keyboard warriors who don't travel much that shout the loudest.

5 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Pipe down soft lad.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/keyboard_warrior

"A person who behaves aggressively and/or in an inflammatory manner in online text-based discussion media, but at the same time does not behave similarly in real life"

So are you a "keyboard warrior" or are you like that in real life too?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, pongo said:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/keyboard_warrior

"A person who behaves aggressively and/or in an inflammatory manner in online text-based discussion media, but at the same time does not behave similarly in real life"

So are you a "keyboard warrior" or are you like that in real life too?

I remain flattered by your continued, yet slightly unnerving, interest in me Pongo. 

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I remain flattered by your continued, yet slightly unnerving, interest in me Pongo. 

I often lookup what you write and it frequently turns out to be fringe or bogus. I wonder what motivates you to spread false information or whether you just fall for it yourself.

Last week you were posting stuff which even Snopes had dismissed as false.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1