Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

But if they belong here it's a risk we have to take. If they isolate it is not such a massive risk. The chance of having someone among them who will need intensive care is very small. If we keep them out, against their rights to a home, tell us who else should look after them and why.

They should lie low wherever they are now. 

42 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

people certainly don't want to go to a rock with double the UK infection rate.

There's far less covid infection here than in the UK.  We may have double the number of identified positive cases per head of population, but that's because we're testing far more.  We're up to 100 a day - that'd be about 75000 a day in the UK as an equivalent rate, a figure they can only dream about.  They were on 5000 a day only a week or so ago.  Not surprising they have fewer positive cases per capita because comparatively speaking they're hardly testing anyone.

I think the opposite of what you say is true - people may well want to come here as a safe haven in comparison with, for example, London.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just been reading some tweets in the US, it really does make for very grim reading, medics describing the symptoms and agony of those dying, the loneliness, the sheer wretchedness of it all, they describevitvas Armageddon in some places. We are very fortunate here on this Island and hopefully it'll remain so and that the mortality rate is very low compared to elsewhere, even in the UK they're experiencing nearly 1,000 deaths a day, truly horrendous. I took a rather cavalier attitude at the beginning but I sure as Hell don't feel that way now, I'm not scared for myself as I've never been afraid of death but I have a lot of sympathy and empathy, far more than I'd felt before, for those who are suffering. I was trying to be positive and I guess to some degree by being cavalier I was in some sort of denial about how this thing was going to hit us all and how the world will be at the end, for that, I am truly sorry.

Edited by yootalkin2me
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There's far less covid infection here than in the UK.  We may have double the number of identified positive cases per head of population, but that's because we're testing far more.  We're up to 100 a day - that'd be about 75000 a day in the UK as an equivalent rate, a figure they can only dream about.  They were on 5000 a day only a week or so ago.  Not surprising they have fewer positive cases per capita because comparatively speaking they're hardly testing anyone.

I think the opposite of what you say is true - people may well want to come here as a safe haven in comparison with, for example, London.

Why is it, when I read your post, that I believe every word. 

Why is it, when I hear the government bulletin I don’t? 

Edit to say, by the way, I WAN’T to believe you!

But I don’t always believe them. 

Edited by ecobob

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s an interesting one. It actually puts into perspective our place in the world - and also our status as individuals. Whether born here, or we make a choice to live here, we are simply Her Most Brittanic Majesty’s Subjects. That means that off the island, it’s the big Island that looks after us and our interests.

It's sometimes that big island causing the problems for us in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WTF said:

they always has been , they always will be,  we are the last sheep in the flock bringing up the rear.

I can see the merit in the idea but it's only supposed to be about 30% accurate at the moment  so I'm not sure how someone can be declared immune. We should keep an eye on it and maybe bring it in gradually  alongside  the normal testing.

Edited by Lagman