Coronavirus Isle of Man

On The Bus

1 minute ago, woolley said:

That'd be horde, Andy. ;)

Do you think they write things into the speeches that are a bit challenging and then sit in the office pissing themselves laughing and doing high fives as he tries to grapple with them at the lectern?

Hence

Howard Quayle (@HowardQuayleMHK) | Twitter

• Haha 1

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Wasn't he reading the Gordian Knot bit from a prepared speech? In which case wouldn't it have been one of the many in the Cabinet PR hoard that scripted it?

Very possibly - and to some extent he’s entitled to expect that they can write sense. But...if I’m making ‘my’ public statement, I’d be 100% certain that I knew how to pronounce any word with which I was unfamiliar, and that the same was true of any references/metaphors/similes etc. deployed in the speech. Because when those words are spoken by me, they’re mine.

(Of course, this begs the question would Quayle seek advice and admit to not knowing something. If one of his speech writers included ‘How fortunate the Island was that Alexander the Great defeated the Waffen SS in the Battle of Baldwin in 1800 only days before writing Hamlet’ would he ever query it).

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Same goes for the UK and everywhere else, Japan tried ignoring it for a while, now it seems their numbers are spiking.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Do you think they write things into the speeches that are a bit challenging and then sit in the office pissing themselves laughing and doing high fives as he tries to grapple with them at the lectern?

hyperbowl,   :D  the script writers are only allowed a max of 2 syllables per word now along with pictures in crayon.

Edited by WTF

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Quite right..... I'd be no good as a PR person, would I?

Oh, I'm sure high fives are probably that well practised that their hands are red raw! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

However, the rate of testing doesn't affect the ratio of infections. They're independent.

Yes it does.

18 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

The only reason we have "far less" here (per capita) at this moment is because our first case was later.

Some truth to that.

19 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Not due to our testing regime.

We are no more or less "unclean" than the UK. 

Test more, find more.

Differences with the UK will truly be known when it's over.

20 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

But that doesn't explain why the IOM is higher than Austria, Germany, Norway, Netherlands..."

Are you really this stupid?

21 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

"Agnes, maybe we should move to our holiday cottage on the Isle of Man"
"Oh but Alfonse! Leave the safety of our home here on Exmoor!? A 6 hour drive up the motorway, stopping at petrol stations, Greggs and then that Ferry, stuck with all those truck drivers?!
"We'll be much safer there."
"But according to the figures, they have higher infection rate than we do"
"Don't be silly Agnes, the UK have a different testing methodology"
"I suppose. But that doesn't explain why the IOM is higher than Austria, Germany, Norway, Netherlands..."
"Agnes, Agnes, you're not allowing for the sample sizes, spikes in a population of 83k can make a big difference. Whereas some provinces in larger countries are almost clear, thus bringing the average down"
"What about Bermuda, Malta, Cayman Islands..."
"Mostly foreigners. You know their food doesn't agree with you"
"Canada, Australia, Ireland? I read that the IOM has the 14th highest infection ratio in the world!"
"But don't forget Agnes, the IOM has only started testing recently"
"That contradicts your argument completely"
"Sigh. Look Agnes, it's the Isle of Man or Vatican City"
"I'll get me coat"

Are these the voices in your head? - could you maybe imagine people who are smarter?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's assuming all the numbers are declared.

As much as they will be anywhere else, I've been  watching several regional places and Islands around the UK and elsewhere since before we had any cases, most had several cases before we did, their confirmed cases numbers ground to a halt and have barely budged since the UK changed the way it counted them.

The number of deaths is pretty much the only useful uk info now, for a comparison example  -

Cornwall has 125 confirmed cases but 21 deaths.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/coronavirus-deaths-cornwall-reach-21-4017161

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/11-new-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-4018343

11 minutes ago, Lagman said:

Test more, find more.

....but then what?

Mild or medium symptoms, self isolate.

More serious, in Hosp or more at home attention?

Very serious, straight into Hosp and close observance, treatment?

Which is exactly what we are doing with our current rate of testing , contact tracing or self reporting!

More testing, more medic time taken up, saving of which is the whole point of distancing?

2 minutes ago, Lagman said:

As much as they will be anywhere else, I've been  watching several regional places and Islands around the UK and elsewhere since before we had any cases, most had several cases before we did, their confirmed cases numbers ground to a halt and have barely budged since the UK changed the way it counted them.

The number of deaths is pretty much the only useful uk info now, for a comparison example  -

Cornwall has 125 confirmed cases but 21 deaths.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/coronavirus-deaths-cornwall-reach-21-4017161

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/11-new-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-4018343

That would seem to be a sure way to scare the population even more. E.g Cornwall. Makes it look more deadly than it is.

14 minutes ago, Lagman said:

Are these the voices in your head? - could you maybe imagine people who are smarter?

Only Agnes is in my head. Alfonse is based on you ;)

Agnes "facts" come from worldometer (as posted by diligaf a couple of pages ago)

5 minutes ago, Lagman said:

The number of deaths is pretty much the only useful world info now

True.

However, public perception will be based on media stats sourced from the likes of worldometers. The IOM looks really bad (per 1m pop) - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sort that list into infections per 1m and stick it on IOMToday. 

So the argument "our ratio is only so high because we're the best at testing" is still not a brag. Closing the ports 6 weeks ago would've been far more impressive. 

• Like 1