Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

Clinicians. How many times?

Sorry. Quacks.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder whether midges can spread the Corona. The horrible little biting bastards are out again already. 

Edited by Terminal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Townend said:

The challenge remains the capacity of the hospital. Did he say today 7 confirmed, with 22 in the hospital waiting for results? That’s 29. Capacity in Nobels? Respirators?
Has anyone asked what the capacity of the new testing facility will be? If it’s a simple unit, it could be very low. Just saying.

Yes would be nice to have a hospital clinician's viewpoint on the current situation.  The delay in receiving test results is farcical, indeed the whole process is sub standard in its timeliness. 

• Like 1

It would be nice to get the 'Clinicians' point of view, it can't all be down to Howards ego, ( getting a different type of Limelight now, isn't he? ), it could be that the clinicians are not comfortable with public speaking, especially facing the serried ranks for off the cuff questions ? Maybe this is why they have stepped back, for fear they will reveal something the politicians want keep quiet about?

Or, it could just be that MR cannot set up the conference call to the UK to get the CEO of whatever from her English home!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Seriously? What happened to May? With competence like that, how can you trust a word they say? 

Fairly sure its there - the increments are 2 days each - think its the blurry nature of the image. The date above the horizontal axis title 'date' is 11/5

1 hour ago, Manx Mole said:

Fairly sure its there - the increments are 2 days each - think its the blurry nature of the image. The date above the horizontal axis title 'date' is 11/5

It is there, it's blurry so the 5 looks like a 6, either that or there's going to be two Junes this year

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’d forgotten him. He was amusing and helpful. And didn’t have a medical degree.

He did the wiping the Island's bottoms joke. So good the boy Boot repeated it.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

It would be nice to get the 'Clinicians' point of view, it can't all be down to Howards ego, ( getting a different type of Limelight now, isn't he? ), it could be that the clinicians are not comfortable with public speaking, especially facing the serried ranks for off the cuff questions ? Maybe this is why they have stepped back, for fear they will reveal something the politicians want keep quiet about?

Or, it could just be that MR cannot set up the conference call to the UK to get the CEO of whatever from her English home!!!!!

I think even they would be pushed to describe Magson as a ''clinician' - her business background is in banking and her academic background in music.   Maybe they heard she knew a lot about organs and misunderstood.

But the handily vague word 'clinicians' does seem to be doing a lot of work at the moment - it sounds authoritative and American and science-y.  Making sure you don't have any actual doctors there to contradict you, means you can then blame other, conveniently unnamed, people if things go wrong.   As with most things the Island is closely following the UK here, with much spinning today about the clinicians giving the politicians the 'wrong' advice - rather than as most likely, them giving a range of options and the politicians picking the one that suited them at that moment.

In most countries the public relations aspects are being dealt with by medical professionals.  In Ireland it's the Chief Medical Officer (I suppose our nearest equivalent would be Ranson, the Medical Director) and in Malta the Public Health Superintendent (our equivalent would be Ewart).  Both are perfectly capable of communicating clearly with the public - it's part of their job - and in fact most doctors are pretty good at it and I think get some training.  They will after all be talking to dozens of individual patients each day, so shyness isn't really an option.  They're certainly more than capable of dealing with questions from the local media and have probably worked out that trying to keep something secret was hard enough on the Island even before the age of Facebook.

I suspect the current situation is partly due to Quayle's ego (he did decide to take over from Ashford as the lead communicator) but also due to follow-my-leader with the UK and, probably most important control-freakery from the PR people.  After all if the people actually running the services turn out to be the most competent people to put across the information, what are they there for?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone think that closing the cemeteries for easter is a step too far? There is an awful lot of space for safe distancing etc and a visit to loved ones graves could be included in the daily exercise as well as beneficial to "mental wellbeing"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, louis said:

Does anyone think that closing the cemeteries for easter is a step too far? There is an awful lot of space for safe distancing etc and a visit to loved ones graves could be included in the daily exercise as well as beneficial to "mental wellbeing"

Are they closed for visiting or just for burials?

3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

As much discussed, we’ve had the Governor involved in one; curiously

The LG was a very strange inclusion, even if somebody had died. He knows his brief, so I'm surprised he himself agreed to do it. Practically, politically, medically, even constitutionally there seems to be no basis for wheeling him out to that briefing. Thousands have died in the UK and yet you don't see Lizzie holding court in Downing St. Extremely odd. As someone once said around here (something like): "You English can shut up now, thanks."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

The LG was a very strange inclusion, even if somebody had died. He knows his brief, so I'm surprised he himself agreed to do it. Practically, politically, medically, even constitutionally there seems to be no basis for wheeling him out to that briefing. Thousands have died in the UK and yet you don't see Lizzie holding court in Downing St. Extremely odd. As someone once said around here (something like): "You English can shut up now, thanks."

Well, to take your points in reverse order, I was the author of that fine quote but, more seriously, the LG’s inclusion in that particular briefing was, for all the reason you identify, quite, quite bizarre. It surely can’t be a coincidence that he participated in the briefing at which the tragic news of a death was announced (in, most regrettably, a toe-curling way) by Quayle, but, again as you highlight, why...what exactly was the perspective of the LGs presence? I’m increasingly finding the briefings to be odd to be quite frank. And I won’t bother repeating my views on the inexplicable absence of expert clinical comment.

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect the current situation is partly due to Quayle's ego (he did decide to take over from Ashford as the lead communicator) but also due to follow-my-leader with the UK and, probably most important control-freakery from the PR people.  After all if the people actually running the services turn out to be the most competent people to put across the information, what are they there for?

And I suspect that you are 100% correct with this analysis.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, louis said:

They're claiming that it's the government's fault:

Wednesday, 08 April 2020 15:11

The Borough Cemetery on Glencrutchery Road and the Lawn Cemetery on Johnny Watterson Lane will both be closed to the public with effect from Thursday April 8 2020 until further notice as a result of restrictions imposed by the Emergency Powers (Coronavirus) (Closure of Businesses and Other Premises) Regulations 2020. The only exception to the closure will be when the two cemeteries are being used for funerals, cremations and burials. (Maximum of 15 mourners permitted in line with government guidelines).

Though whether that is true or not I don't know.  And it's not just for Easter, it's afterwards too.

Obviously the COVID outbreak is giving a lot of people in government at various levels the opportunity to interfere as much as possible in people's lived in a bossy way, while providing fewer and fewer actual services.  It's the bureaucratic dream, but it's not the best way to prevent the virus spreading.

• Like 4

I do not feel sorry for any of the politicians patient centered, I think they are all doing a decent job in uncharted waters, and I doubt even with your experience on what goes on in Noble’s Hospital or in your dreams you could do any better.