Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Coronavirus Isle of Man

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Press Release from the Rob Vine Fund   Following the cessation of Motor Sport on the Isle of Man in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic the Directors of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No.954

@Lost Login - (and anyone else who thinks this doesn't apply to them particularly) I seem to recall you're an accountant so you can do this. Set up your own model of exponential growth in numbers

There's a lot of difficult concepts and difficult decisions being made here.  I'll have a go at a further explanation.  Possible long post ahead. First the difference between 'public health' and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Certainly, I'll repeat;

Regardless of one's politics, the facts are that the 'austerity' years in Care started in April 2009 under the Brown / Darling administration (Alan Johnson was Health) - and ended in 2019 under the May administration.

I am not pushing the politics - I am stating the facts, and my source is the letters since 2008 sat three feet away from me.

For 'austerity' read "World Financial Crisis 2007-2008" is probably more like it.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, woolley said:

Oh right. Well, come on, be fair. That is actually not another disaster, it's trying to deal with the "main" disaster as you now seem to acknowledge.

This is exactly what my post is about. If you look at the links you will see that everyone around the world is in very much the same situation regarding PPE. What would you or others suggest was done differently?

I'd hazard a guess that a future enquiry looking into all this might surmise that in the UK 'the day was not seized' when it came to getting the NHS organised with the correct material, whereas in Germany it was 

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'd hazard a guess that a future enquiry looking into all this might surmise that in the UK 'the day was not seized' when it came to getting the NHS organised with the correct material, whereas in Germany it was 

And S Korea

Do you really think that any Govt, anywhere, will actually take the blame for their shortcomings???

Who will be the first to say...'' We got it wrong and it cost us lives   ''!

It will be the usual '' Looking forwards.................

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Certainly, I'll repeat;

Regardless of one's politics, the facts are that the 'austerity' years in Care started in April 2009 under the Brown / Darling administration (Alan Johnson was Health) - and ended in 2019 under the May administration.

I am not pushing the politics - I am stating the facts, and my source is the letters since 2008 sat three feet away from me.

Austerity started with George Osborne & his 2010 spending review

Alan Johnson lambasted him for the cuts he deemed reckless

Osborne was very careful not to openly target the NHS but clearly health spending wasn't expanded

Edited by Donald Trumps
9 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

6 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

And S Korea

OK, chaps. As I mentioned, Germany has manufacturing capability within its borders and has slapped on an export ban. I believe S Korea has too. Good for them, but that would obviously give them a better supply of PPE. UK seems to be in line with other European countries for shortages. I think the problem is that by the time the day to seize dawned, the shortages were ongoing and all countries except those with home manufacturing were scrambling. Being dependent on China and some other Asian suppliers lays you open to the quality problems I linked. The other variable is that we are only in the first stage, so we don't know how other countries will cope with subsequent waves of infection or how their figures will look ultimately.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

A gentleman; in the fullest sense of the word. 

He will be missed. 

Yes, a really nice guy. He did not know me at all, but I knew who he was and saw him dozens of times. Always wearing a smile. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Do you really think that any Govt, anywhere, will actually take the blame for their shortcomings???

Who will be the first to say...'' We got it wrong and it cost us lives   ''!

It will be the usual '' Looking forwards.................

Well the question I am asking, and trying to get answers on, is exactly what was got wrong and what could have been done differently, when and by whom. It's easy to carp, but specifics?