Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
On The Bus

Coronavirus Isle of Man

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This is the best press conference yet. Alf is an assured public speaker and lays out the facts in a clear and understandable way. 

He doesn't suffer foolish questions from journalists - great move cutting off Richard Butt. 

Prepare for a massive cutback in public sector jobs in the next 4 months. 

Edited by On The Bus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

How do you know I don't? Also, my understanding of the emergency urgent repairs is more of the plumbing/sparky side.

I'm sure I will be ok. when things get moving again.

Pretty sure Dandara will be going mental behind the scenes and forcing some of this.

The estate agents are still managing rental properties. Repairs still need to be done. I have a contact there if that would help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

I think a carefully phased and structured return to work from next Friday, maybe in construction and horticulture. Subject to performance data on Covid-19. 

For clarity and to understand what might be driving your opinons please clarify your occupation - or just type what it says on the side of your van........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ecobob said:

The estate agents are still managing rental properties. Repairs still need to be done. I have a contact there if that would help. 

I'm convinced that when the lockdown is SAFELY relaxed I'll be busy as hell. Looking forward to it.

I don't see any point in rushing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alf, master of avoiding the questions and running away from difficult ones.  He should get a medal.  
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Alf, master of avoiding the questions and running away from difficult ones.  He should get a medal.  
 

 

What more do you want him to say?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad someone else sees through Alf, he may not huff and puff but he just slides around questions, I really do not think he answered one properly.  I bet the Sefton lot have got the large amount they require even though it is the smaller firms that are suffering.   I hear the banks are less than interested in the loan scheme guaranteed by the government.   The big announcement that will take place next Friday will probably let gardeners, window cleaners and construction workers go back to work as long as they keep social distancing.   I cannot see why gardeners and window cleaners were stopped in the first place.   Anyone impressed by Alf’s presentation is incredibly naive it was smoke and mirrors at its finest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But isn't it the case that it's because of the lockdown that we probably haven't had more deaths? You've fallen into the same trap as others in assuming that because we've only had four deaths that it's really not that bad. That's why I asked earlier, what would your red line(s) be.

Every red line is arbitrary based on an individual viewpoint. 

There will be losers in this whatever happens; deaths, businesses, livelihoods, jobs. The issue is politicians are torn and no-one wants to be the one responsible for making the wrong decision in times like this, which is why we are copying the UK when really we should be making decisions based on our own unique set of circumstances. Takes wise heads and strong nerves. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time there's been mention of 'feelers' being put out to the U.K.Treasury. Brings back memories of Tony 'Loadsamoney' Brown at Mansion House. I'm sure there'll be a Sir Humphrey that will remind us of that at a 'diplomatic' moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

This is the best press conference yet. Alf is an assured public speaker and lays out the facts in a clear and understandable way. 

He doesn't suffer foolish questions from journalists - great move cutting off Richard Butt. 

Prepare for a massive cutback in public sector jobs in the next 4 months. 


Did Cannan suggest that?

There's a general election next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

For the first time there's been mention of 'feelers' being put out to the U.K.Treasury. Brings back memories of Tony 'Loadsamoney' Brown at Mansion House. I'm sure there'll be a Sir Humphrey that will remind us of that at a 'diplomatic' moment.

 

Senior figures in London who may remember that, if they remember it at all, will have since taken retirement. They have had far bigger issues to content with in the last decade than to recollect a bit of bravado from a pea-brained caricature from a parish council on sea. 

Edited by Lxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

But isn't it the case that it's because of the lockdown that we probably haven't had more deaths? You've fallen into the same trap as others in assuming that because we've only had four deaths that it's really not that bad. That's why I asked earlier, what would your red line(s) be.

I think you have missed the bit where I said I support the lock down so far and the continued lockdown of the airport and the ports to manage the flow of potential new carriers for a longer period of time. However, if this goes on past another 3 weeks of actual lockdown I think the financial damage to the economy and other people’s lives will become a more pressing issue. The IOM has no money, it has nothing to fall back on, and the public sector has pretty much stripped it dry for decades. If government thinks it can shut down the private sector indefinitely and destroy people’s lives and ability to earn while it maintains full public sector employment even if half of them aren’t actually doing anything then it’s got another thing coming as there will be a tripping point at which thousands of people out of work will be more concerned about how they eat and they pay bills than some invisible virus which in all reality may not actually harm them at all. Living costs alone here are astronomical and if you have no income it’s going to be horrendous. It’s time to start selling hope to people not piling on the indecision and doom. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

There will be losers in this whatever happens; deaths, businesses, livelihoods, jobs.

Here's a little psychology test for you. Put those 4 in order of importance.

10 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

we are copying the UK when really we should be making decisions based on our own unique set of circumstances

This island is NOT following the UK and IS making decisions based on our own unique set of circumstances

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...